1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Quotes on Missions & Evangelism

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by John of Japan, Jun 12, 2008.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was looking through a box of 3x5 cards I made notes on many years ago, and found many quotes on missions and evangelism I wrote down from various sources: books, sermons, etc. I'm going to put them on this thread for the edification, encouragement and enjoyment of my BB friends. I hope you'll add some of your favorite quotes also! If you can, give some information about the author, or even a source. :type:

I'll start with two similar ones.

John Knox--"Give me Scotland or I die."

"Praying John" Hyde (missionary to India)--"Father, give me these souls, or I die."

2. mima

mima New Member

I will watch with interest your postings in this matter. Certainly it is biblical to pray and ask for souls to be saved in one's ministry. Most successful soulwinners I know practice this method of praying and asking for souls before they endeavor out to win souls to the Lord. Non-soulwinners have no concept of this practice. And certainly don't place any trust in the practice. So the postings will be interesting.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, mima. I hope the thread will be a blessing.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Oh Lord, send me to the darkest spot on earth."--John MacKenzie, missionary to China, praying on the banks of the Lossie as a young missionary candidate.

5. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

There is no 'I' in 'team', but there is one in 'revival'; and it's in the middle.

- Rubato 1 (as far as I know...)

6. Servent

Servent Member

Lord protect me as I travel unless it will bring glory to you.
    Author unknown.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I have to say, this came at an appropriate time. Yesterday morning the wife of our Men's Ministry director was killed in a car accident. She was a godly woman who served as principal of our local Christian school, had a great testimony for the Lord- as a matter of fact many businesses are mourning her death because she was very involved in different community initiatives, as well as being involved in her church.

I know that the Lord has a greater purpose in her death. I am sure that many children (as well as adults) will be drawn to the Lord through her passing on to Glory.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the quotes, folks. Make up some more, Rubato!

Mexdeaf, my heart goes out to the family and to you as a missionary pastor. I know this has to be very difficult for you. May God give sweet comfort to the family, and use this for His glory.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Use me then, my Savior, for whatever purpose and in whatever way Thou mayest require. Here is my poor heart, an empty vessel; fill it with Thy grace."--D. L. Moody.

Then, here is one from a book I'm reading, rather than my 3x5 cards:

"When one thinks of the selfishness of the professing church today, how the orthodox churches of this land do not average one dollar per year per member for foreign missions, it is no wonder that the church has so little power in prayer."--R. A. Torrey in How to Pray, from around 1910 or so, referring to Prov. 21:13, "Whoso stoppeth his ears at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself, but shall not be heard."

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Lord, to thee I dedicate myself. Oh, accept of me, and let me be Thine forever. Lord I desire nothing else; I desire nothing more."--David Brainerd, pioneer missionary to the American Indians.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Here let me burn out for God.”—Henry Martyn, Bible translator, in India. He sacrificed much for the Lord Jesus, including a beloved one who would not marry him because he was going to be a missionary. He died at age 31 in Persia (Iran), but only after completing his translation of the Persian NT. Please read my account of his life at: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=33499&page=2

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Take as many with you to heaven as you are able to draw; the more you draw with you, you shall be the welcomer yourself."--Rutherford

13. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

"Oh, that I could dedicate my all to God. This is all the return I can make Him."
    David Brainerd

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for your contributions, Rubato!

"We can do it if we will!"--The rallying cry of the students' Haystack Prayer Meeting of 1805, which was all about praying for missions, and produced some great missionaries.

15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Captain Allen Gardiner- one the first evangelical missionaries to Argentina who died of starvation in the harsh Patagonia region trying to give the Gospel of God to the dangerous indians there said as he left his home in England:

"If a wish was given to me for the good of my
    neighbor it would be that the Mission in
    Tierra Del Fuego be pursued with vigor. But
    the Lord will direct and do everything
    because time and reason are His your hearts
    are in His hands..."

As he and his companions in the Gospel were suffering the slow death of starvation without ever having given the Gospel to single indian wrote:

Lord, at your feet I humbly fall, And I give
    you all I have, All that your love requires.
    To lack is best, For all is yours, Take care
    of me in this hour of test. Do not let me
    have the thoughts of a Complainer. Make me
    feel your power which gives life And I will
    learn to praise you while carrying your
    cross...

His last journal entry that was found after the death of his party was:

"By God's Grace this
    blessed group was able to sing praises to
    Christ for eternity. I am not hungry or
    thirsty in spite of 5 days without eating;
    Wonderful Grace and Love to me, a sinner..."

His death touched off wave of missionary activity to the Southern Cone, a region that had been previously neglected at the start of the modern missions movement.
    Sorry for the lengthy post, but his story obviously close to me. May God thrust out others who are passionately committed to His glory to the point of death.

Dios les bendiga

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very moving, 4His_glory. Thank you.

“We dare to…affirm that to be non-missionary is to be unorthodox, since to accept the New Testament as our only and all-sufficient rule of faith and practice is to be committed, in obedience to its plain commands and pervading spirit, to world-wide missions.” (The Bible Basis of Missions, by Robert Hall Glover, p. 30. Chicago: Moody Press, 1946)

#16 John of Japan, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2008
  17. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

"The prospects are bright as the promises of God."

Adoniram Judson

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Years ago at an I-70 rest stop in Missouri I read a saying that I thought was a great motto for any soul winner. It was on a monument to highway engineer Alexander W. Graham, and it said: "A friend to all who knew him."

19. Servent

Servent Member

Im sorry to hear this, I will be praying for the family.
    Danny

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is another secular quote that is relevant for evangelism. I heard a record producer on the radio talking about his motto for a young person wanting to cut a record:

"If you're not getting rejected at least once a day, you're not working."