1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Racism

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by The_Narrow_Road, Jan 14, 2003.

1. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

I'm willing to bet that racism has been around long before Calvinism, and long before Darwin was even known. It's one of those sinful nature things that has been from the fall. The world has tried all it's own solutions to the problem, only to fail in every way.

I came from a predominantly white area. All my life has been spent in that setting. When some Mexican families moved into our neighborhood, they were mostly ignored, but I'm sure there was some racial problems. My best friend was Mexican. I was attracted to their different ways, and their language. Now I live in a very diverse area. A people from every nation must live in the New York City Area. I met a person, for the first time, from Brazil. People are amazing in this area.

But, what I don't like is the reverse effect of racial problems. I cannot see the benefit to racial problems when people call themselves by their color. If they are always looking at themselves as a different color, then how will they ever be just a person? And if the government keeps looking at them as deprived because of their color, how will they ever come out of the racial problems. The focus on color adds to the problems.

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think I am wrong about? Are you saying that northerners who don't consider themselves racists are not more likely to assume southerners are racists?

I can tell you from personal experience that many northerners, especially Democrats, will automatically assume some form of racism on the part of someone with a southern accent. I am not aware of anyone that automatically assumes non-southern whites are racists. When we assume what someone will be like, often we interpret their actions according to our pre-conceptions... basically the same process of reasoning that leads to racial prejudice.

3. LauraB

LauraB New Member

You are being racist yourself. You are saying that ALL northeners are racist. That is what you are wrong about. It's like me assuming all southerners are red necks, trailer trash, booze hounds, and all part of the KKK. What I am saying is you have racists no matter where you go. It's not a northern thing or a southern thing. It is alive and growing all over.

So for you to assume that, and sterio type, than you are racist yourself.

4. TheOliveBranch

Scott,
    I'm from the north, Wisconsin, with relatives in Illinois. In the cities, Chicago and Milwaukee, racism is rampant. Not only whites, but blacks as well. And the last thing they think about is whether a racist is from the north or the south. Racists tend to draw toward each other. If they crack a racist joke, or make a racist remark, they look for support. And if that racist is from the south, the northern one would love him for it. Racism is everywhere, especially where different colors abide. And if the non-racist wants to point the finger, it'll be at the person he heard, not the one he doesn't know.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it politically correct to donate cash to the United Negro College Fund, but racist to give to the United White College Fund?

Or All Male Fund? Or _____ (you fill in the blanks). It is because racism permeates our society and in 2003, it is REVERSE racism of the most virolent ilk. :eek:

6. Steven m.

Steven m. New Member

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

It is not the color of the skin we should be concerned with; but the color of the sin
    [​IMG]
    Sue

8. TheOliveBranch

Amen, Dr Bob. I think that reverse racism adds more dangers to society than racism itself.

9. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

People are made in Gods Image. God did not make Trash. That is a very negative way to view people who God loves just as much as he loves you. :confused:

11. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

My husband told me that a popular designer, Tommy Hilfiger, admitted his racist viewpoint on the Oprah Winfrey show the other day...and she made him leave. I wish I had seen that...I told my husband "is he stupid or something?!"

Olive...I agree with you. And that's why I refuse to check off a box in the race/color catagory on anything I have to fill out. The only way we can make a difference ...is to not keep going along. My color is not my most awesome accomplishment in this world... what I look like ...doesn't determine who I am, or what condition my heart is in. It's sad to see that people are so dependant on fitting in to their little catagory, always wanting to find sameness within diversity...but I find this attitude it is more previlent where ignorance is prevelent. All we can do is not be a part of perpetuating it, and this might make a little difference in the over all attitudes we encounter. Try to be better than that. I find the issue of racism embarassing. I wonder if the people who spout out this ignorance are aware of how foolish they appear? Kind of like an unevolved species.

Who am I? Only God knows...and He's all that matters...all other opinions are human opinion, flawed, therefor not worth giving a second thought. ;) To simplify...you can think what you want about me based on your perceptions of what you see...but you don't know me. Labels are what human beings are comfortable using...but they aren't necessary...if you can think outside of the peramiters set up by popular society. The thing is...most people like the comfort of feeling like they fit in. It takes some strength to not conform to that way of thinking. It takes some strength of character to live in a world that does.

[ January 25, 2003, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: WisdomSeeker ]

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

But, it's NOT racist to give to the Irish American College Fund, or the Filipino American College Fund, etc etc etc.

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. JIMNSC

JIMNSC New Member

I have observed (black/white) racism going away in the younger generation in my part of the country. There remain problems within the older one however. If the current trend continues, I predict it will be nil in another one.

On the rise however, seems to be racial unrest among the blacks/Mexicans in this part of the country. There are many, many migrant workers here due to the peach industry. So much so the schools make special arrangements to accomodate the Mexicans (counseling, special language classes, etc.)

The worst cases of racism on a national level appear to be "reverse discrimination" cases (Jesse Jackson, et al.) as Dr. Bob noted in his post.

I believe in equal opportunity but not in giving any race a definite advantage over another; not any more anyway. It's been over 30 years since EEO came to the rescue. Since then the Black race should have overcome the lack of educational opportunity.

Just because inter-racial marriage is not forbidden in the Bible doesn't make it "Biblical," does it? It's not wrong and if it floats your boat, have at it.

Anybody who has hang-ups with any other race might just have problems in heaven.

Are birds smarter than we in this area? After all, I've never seen a blue bird mated with a cardinal? Man (all races) is the only species God created who is not living up to His expectations. JMO

15. Reena J.

Reena J. New Member

I pray that one day I see Jesus. Or if I could just touch the hem of his garment. . . At that
    moment color just won't matter.

Another thought!!! I want to be more like Jesus.

With all of the problems that this WORLD has,
    Americans should not be focusing on skin color. It doesn't matter where you are from, North, South, etc. We should be looking for a prayer partner at every corner. Does your prayer partner have to be the same skin tone as you are?
    No!

Each person knows whats in their heart. If you are racist, GET OVER IT! After all our country is about to be at war. Again I say GET OVER IT!

That's my Opionion and I sticking to it!
    May God bless you all,
    Reena

16. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

I am White from Kentucky originally where some KKK activity had taken place. My wife is from the deep, deep south, an island called Jamaica, so she's Black...so you know my views. :eek: and what it's worth; James 2:1ff.

17. Charlotte Marcel

Charlotte Marcel New Member

I researched the Oprah website. And Harpo productions says that Tommy Hilfiger has never been a guest on the show. It is in fact an e-mail rumor that has apparently been circulated for several months erroneously.

On the topic of racism. I believe that racism is just man's feeble attempt to take the diversity of God's creation and try to make it all fit in neat little packages. Why is it man's perpensity to seek sameness and conformity? When we can truly love and accept that God isn't about neat little packages...then maybe racism will cease to be the dishonorable trait of those belonging to the human race. There are no two human beings completely alike, some have various simularities, but in actuality, diversity is what it is to be human, diversity is our only real simularity. When we can love others for their differences, then we will be truly Christ like.

18. ruthigirl

ruthigirl New Member

The Bible says nothing about color mixing, only that I should not marry an unbeliever, same color or not. I have no problem at all with my childern marrying a person of any color. I will never give my blessing if they want to marry an unbeliever however. [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

As for the remark about jaybirds never mating with cardinals, the analogous situation for us would be for humans to mate with gorillas or chimpanzees. I advise strongly against making the attempt for your own safety . . .