1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Racism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by strykero1, Sep 18, 2008.

1. strykero1

strykero1 New Member

Can a person be a born again Christian & be a racist? My wife claims to be born again. She attends church regularly & reads the Bible. But, she's a racist. She hates blacks with a passion. I don't know how many times I have had to listen to her call Obama the n word. It's not only Obama that she directs her venom at. When we were watching televised coverage of Katrina & other recent hurricanes, the hate that she spews at hurricane victims who are black makes my stomach turn. I don't know how she can reconcile this racism & at the same time claim to be a Christian. Didn't Christ teach that racism is wrong? I was not brought up this way. As far as I'm concerned, whether or not you believe in the same political views as another, or a person's way of thinking, that person is still a human being deserving respect, not racist epithets. Opinions needed, please.

2. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

You didn't know of her views concerning others before you married her....

3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

It is hard to judge the heart, but it is difficult to believe that someone is saved if there is the type of hate that you describe. She is commanded by Christ to love her brethren, many of which are black/brown/dark.

And yes, the Bible is against racism. Not only from a moral standard, but from Genesis. Mankind has sprung from one man and one woman. Phycically speaking, it is illogical to think that Adam and Eve were black or white. Their DNA must have contained the ability to produce both white skin and black skin, so they most likely were middle-brown, containing both genes.

This said, the only difference between black skin and brown skin is melanin giving the skin its pigmant. It's the same skin. While it might look odd, a white person could accept a skin graft from a black person.

At best, your wife's racism is inconsistent with her professed faith in Christ. The idea of races is an evolutionary concept. A biblical worldview teaches us that there is one race--human.

My advice to you as her husband is to pray earnestly for your wife. Then lead your wife out of these false beliefs by teaching the truth to her. Be patient and loving with her, but also rebuke her and correct her. You are the head of your home.

Edit: Forgot to include this link: http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/faq/racism.asp

RB

#3 ReformedBaptist, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

She may have been taught like I was in a SBC church in Alabama such things like blacks are the curse of Ham. Of course I don't believe that anymore, nor is that type of teaching tolerated in that church anymore. But, had I not come under the right teaching of Godly men and women and given a broader life experience in the military, that hatred I had might still exist.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know about people claiming the Name of Christ as their own and still harboring prejudices and hatred. Sometimes what we call racism may just be a manifestation of ignorance. Sometimes it could be a result of experiences.
    I do know that here in Western New York where we live I have come face to face with redneck attitudes in many people, more than I have when we lived down South in Maryland, DC and Virginia.
    We attended a Mennonite shape notes conference and singing convention in Rochester, it was an all-white affair as we noticed, and my wife sat with a group of women in the soprano tenor, and next I looked she was sitting all alone and looking forlorn in the middle of that row, and so we got up and left, and, oh, yes, not one bothered to introduce themselves.
    As far as I am concerned, though, the "n" word can be used on any person of any color, even whites, and I use them (mentally) to describe anyone who is uncouth, obnoxious, untidy in appearance, and who wants everybody to know they have "attitude" in the way they move, sing, talk, dress, think, and so on, if you get my drift.
    Respect, on the other hand, is earned.
    How in the world can I respect somebody who dresses this way : Pants all baggy you could fit a pair of Schwarzenneger legs in, not only is it baggy but it reaches all the way down to the ground so much that it folds three times, then the waist is so low, then he don't wear no belt on them so that he wears the darned thing down way below his navel and his underwear all exposed you just need to pull them down and get in if you're a sodomite (sorry about the graphic description but that's what I honestly think).
    Then he walks like he owns the street, and you better cross to the other side if you don't want his fist bumping into your face, and he talks and laughs so loud, with the "f" word, and the "motherf" word in every sentence trying to trip over each other.

Brother, I don't care if he's white, black, brown, yellow, green, red, olive, or whatever, in my mind and in private I will call him the "n" word, and he ain't gettin' an ounce of respect from me until he learns to dress up, walk and talk like a dignified human being.

The problem with these kinds of people is that they demand respect, but does nothing to earn them.

6. dan e.

dan e. New Member

hmmmm......

#6 dan e., Sep 18, 2008
  7. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

I was going to type something similar to this before reading your post. I still don't consider these persons you described the "n" word. I do think they are sorry individuals that display such behavior. I do agree that there is a difference in respect level, but I still think we should love these people, but hate their actions. Same thing goes for other sins that there is a hatred towards in most baptist congregations, including homosexuals. Hate the sin, not the sinner is my motto. I agree 100% with you on the item of respect. It is something to be earned, but that doesn't give us the right to label someone the "n" word with all of it's history and negative connotations simply because we disagree with someone's behavior. Maybe instead we should just call them "sinners" or "unregenerate".

8. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Start a bus route in your area and let her work with the kids up close.

Two things will happen:

1. She will have her eyes opened to the real need in these peoples lives, black,white and all others.

2. Some of her complaints will be manifest. With the love of Christ that is to be shed abroad in her heart, she will learn to deal with the "complaints" in the effort to pull these people out of the fire!

I could almost agree with her on Obama, but he is not the "n" word, he is half-white anyway.

Check this out for good measure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4-TZspqlOs

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't put a racist on a church bus route. That would be a recipe for disaster.

10. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So,Is heaven going to be segregated?

I deal with my own personal sins and temptations everyday, just like everyone else.
    Sin is Sin! I'm not saying this to excuse it, just a reminder that we are all in the flesh.

Maybe funny, maybe not (to me it is,because it makes the 'haters' mad). When God incarnated into Flesh, he choose to do it as a Jewish man. In America we have a diluted view of 'Jewish', they really aren't white folk that eat funny. When I see the news broadcast out of Modern Isreal I see people of color, if they didn't wear beanies and turbins it would be hard to tell which side is which for me. My point is Jesus, being a Jew, was probably a man of color. How can you love Jesus but hate folk of color?

As for the comments on judging folk by how they dress. Does God have a dress code? Granted I'm not 'saggin n baggin' but I'm afraid if he does I need to go to Mens Wearhouse, I'd say my jeans and button up aren't acceptable.

11. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I am not disagreeing with you here, just making a point. When I was studying communication at a state university the politcally correct term for non-white people was "people of color" My question to the libs was always, "So what are white people, people of no-color?"

I have met few black people that mind being called black as reference to the color of their skin.

RB

12. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    People of Color is a generic term for anyone darker than me :) I can't keep up with the politically correct terminology for all the different 'races' of man. No disrepect intended to any of the brothers or sisters.

FWIW: I've never seen a Black man or a White man..its usually a shade of brown or whatever we call white folks color. Having said that, and for chuckle factor, White in every color chart I've ever played with is in fact lack of color, desaturate any color far enough and it become white.

Back on topic: did Jesus tell us in the Great Commision to go tell the folk in Caucasia :) or did he say to go tell everyone to the end of the Earth?

Racism of anytype is Sin, a very addictive and contageous sin. Silence is a form of acceptance, Don't be silent Brother, educate your wife, speak out against it. I promise I will hold you and her in my prayers the next few days.

13. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Racism is certainly NOT a Christian value. No matter what a person's skin color or nationality, if they're born again they're our brothers and sisters in Christ. Even if they're not born again, we are commanded to love them and not hate them. Hatred of someone because of their skin color is of the devil and not of God.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Our job is to be fishers of men...let's let Jesus clean 'em.

Methinks some compassion is needed here.

And is referring to someone as "the n-word," even on the inside, a Christlike trait?

15. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I was wondering if anyone else noticed the odd inconsistencies of his dislike of racism and hatred while at the same time speaking with those same tones.

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 10:16
    John 11:52
    Rom 1:16
    Rom 3:29
    Rom 9:24
    Rom 10:12
    1 Cor 12:13
    Gal 3:28
    Col 3:11

If, after all these, she still chooses to demean other children of God, then you have a larger problem on your hands, that your local pastor should probably be addressing.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Wasn't Christ white or Caucasian? :)

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes. He was lily white and had blonde hair and blue eyes. Haven't you ever seen one of His portraits? :laugh:

19. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Before the last few hundred years (which was also before evolution came around for Reformed Baptist) a majority of Christians and people were racist to some degree. Some more so than others. While I detest racism, it is a sin just like my own sins and does not preclude one from the saving grace of Christ's shed blood.

It is also hard to shake the habits we grew up with. Direct her to scripture about hate, slander, etc. Gently explain why you think it may be un-Christ-like to use those words or have those thoughts about people. Let God work and try to help encourage change when she starts coming around. Possibly get help from others in your church community with the scripture and teaching aspect.

I think it is pretty similar to approaching anyone about their sin.

#19 Gold Dragon, Sep 18, 2008
  20. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

ROFLOL!!

Jesus was a person of color. :laugh: