1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Railer

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Walls, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Walls

Walls New Member

I had asked what a railer was on another thread. Someone said they couldn't answer and that I should start a thread on it.

1Co 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

So my question is what is a railer and would a railer be disqualified from the ministry?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear walls,

The word means to revile or in our vernacular to ridicule.

Here is the biblical definition of the OPPOSITE:
    one who blesses.

1 Peter 3:9
    Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.

HankD

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I answered your question over there. Sorry I didn't see it earlier. THe word means to revile or slander. All the modern versions translate it clearly as "reviler," thus removing the confusion created by using a word that no one uses much any more.

Another great case for the word of God in modern translations ... [​IMG]

4. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Sorry, Walls. I actually knew the answer, but I was making a point to those who believe the only true word of God is the KJV. I apologize.

5. Walls

Walls New Member

That's okay Scott. [​IMG]

Pastor Larry, I am sorry I didn't see your answer.

As I had said before this was brought up on another thread but hits home very hard.

For example, you have been attending a church, then when something is preached from the pulpit that you don't believe is Biblically presented and you voice your concern about it and the Pastor condemns you from the pulpit every chance he gets, Would that be a railer?

[ January 14, 2004, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Walls ]

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Well, with no more than that information, it is hard to say. Assuming that you are right on the doctrinal issue, and assuming that the pastor is actually condemning you, then that could fit this category. But as I say, it is hard to say based on the very little you have said here.

7. Walls

Walls New Member

Putting the doctrinal position aside, let's say that the Pastor's believes you should own a blue car and you prefer white. So you go and buy a white car, then the next time you go to church the Pastor makes a comment that If you own a white car you are not right with God.

Would that be considered railing?

I have seen so many Pastor, that if you don't believe exactly like them your are not right with God or maybe not even saved. Then if you should come to a doctrinal issue they outright blast you. It is truly such a shame because I have seen many eager Christian willing to serve the Lord to withdraw into a shell for fear of rebuke.

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Well, that would be just plain stupid on his part. As for railing, I think generally railing is considered slander or verbal abuse. A passing comment may be incorrect, but not necessarily be slander. If he preaches such a thing or constantly harps on it, spreading it to others, that is reviling, I would think.

There is also the issue of reviling being unjustly condemned for a righteous position. Driving a white car is not necessarily a righteous position and may not qualify for being reviled. I don't really know. Haven't thought about it any longer than it has taken me to write this post :D ...

It is certainly a stupid thing to say ...