1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ran into a psychic with real power today

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, familiar enough with that. TCassidy gave the info I was seeking.

God bless.

2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thought so, lol. I tried it and it didn't work, which prompted me to ask about it, but now it's working.

Thanks for the response.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What kind of demonic power is this ability to copy-and-paste text with keyboard strokes?

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is more than that. Apple software and hardware is proprietary while PCs are open.

Yep. The proprietary architecture costs you 3 or 4 times what it is actually worth.

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's something us old DOS guys learned back in the early 1980s, :)

6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Macs you get what you pay for and you get a machine that will last for years. I had a 2009 MacBook that I recently sold and upgraded last year. It never had any hardware faults, I just needed more RAM, faster CPU, and a better machine. Try getting a PC from 2009 to actually work today, especially in laptop form.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Windows software is NOT proprietary?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Thats funny! You told that joke so well someone might have even believed you!

For years Microsoft used their dominance in the personal computing world (riding on the back of IBM's reputation and the failure of IBM to patent their PC configuration) to try to push their PROPRIETARY standards upon the rest of the industry.

So PCs (personal computers - all makes and models) are "open" in theory. But if you run Windows, you are definitely running a proprietary system.

On the hardware side, Apple pioneered the "plug and play" installation. I RARELY ever have to install drivers for anything - including printers. I can't remember the last time I installed a third-party driver... it has been probably a decade or more. I plug in devices and (at most) select from a menu what device I have and I'm ready to go. Back when I had Mac towers, I could turn off the power, pull the latch on the side (no screwdriver needed). and install memory, USB cards, etc. without having to load drivers or anything. It just worked.

I'm not sure what your definition of "open" is, but I don't think I don't need much more than that.

Oh wait, the preponderance of viruses that plagued the Windows platform didn't run on the Mac. I would occasionally get a weird error indicating that something was trying to run on my system that was having trouble... I haven't had to run antivirus software (for the Mac side of things) since I purchased my first Mac in 1999. I have to run it if I am also running Windows on the system because Windows is a security nightmare (although it has improved in the last few years).

Apple is a hardware manufacturer that also developed the graphic user interface for personal computers (PCs). Microsoft worked with Apple to create Microsoft Office for the Macintosh's debut in 1984 and then took what they learned from that experience about user interfaces and coding to plagiarize a version of the interface for their DOS-based computers.

Windows is a copy of the Apple OS and the better versions of Windows (think Windows 7) remind me of previous versions of the Mac OS X.

As far as "worth" goes, I run a Mac because I like the sane user interface, the common sense storage architecture, the quality of the designs, and the small touches that enhance the whole aesthetic of working with the machine.

Moreover, the Apple hardware has a much longer useful life than a Windows box. I bought my first Mac in 1999 and I am on my third machine. Three machines in 17 years is not bad, especially since I switched a bit earlier than necessary last time because of the move to the Intel architecture. I liked the idea of being able to run Windows on the Mac for those times when there is a specific piece of software I need that is only available for Windows.

And if someone wants to pull out the "old timer" card, I purchased my first computer back in 1981 and taught myself to program from a 14 page manual. That was before the Apple IIe, the Macintosh, and the IBM PC. In the mid-1990s I made the mistake of buying a Windows machine (everyone else had one, it must be good) and regretted it. And I've used Windows computers professionally since Windows 3.1, so I am experienced in the Windows world.

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My desktop was made in 1989. New mother board. New hard drive, new processor. New video card. Etc. Etc. Total cost. About $350.

Mac = for people who don't know how to use a real computer.

PC = for people who do know how to use a real computer.

9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm typing this post on a 2009 iMac.

I use this iMac for all kinds of personal and professional work, including the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.) and Microsoft Office, not to mention the Apple-specific music and video creation software.

This system is starting to show its age and is not always as fast as I would like since we are now working with UltraHD video, but I've expanded the storage capacity with a couple of 4 TB external drives and have a massive library of content that I will simply plug into the new machine that my wife and I will probably select next Spring.

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to have a reading problem. I didn't mention either Windows or Microsoft. I said "PC." "PC" is hardware architecture, not a software or operating system company.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    20-25 years ago, PC's were used primarily by people that worked in the sciences and business, and Macs were used by graphic designers. Back in those days they were known derisively as the "electronic crayon." They were difficult to interface with scientific equipment and the amount of software available for business was sparse.

BTW, I have 2 PCs from 2001 (Dell's) that are still operational but I don't connect them to the internet because Microsoft no longer updates Windows XP with security patches. My son's older Toshiba laptop, from 2010, is running Windows 10 just fine.

(Disclaimer: Custom building PCs is a hobby of mine.)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So essentially, the case is from 1989. That's not much to brag about.

Yeah, right. Keep telling yourself that.

Maybe, maybe not. I am more productive on the Mac because I am not fighting Windows.

I don't hate Windows PCs, I just think there are better options. What I hate is the Windows fanboy attitude that can't resist bashing other solutions. Compensating for something?

13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, I was just going with the common parlance of the day.

So you're not running Windows or a Mac OS. Good for you.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yup. Artsy stuff.

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What? Linux or Apple? Wow, lot's of choices there.

Ha ha ha ha ha!! That's hilarious. If there are any fanboi's around, it would be Apple fanbois.

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, actually I am running a Mac-like OS. I use Linux, which is a Unix-like system, Unix, of course, is used as the basis for Apple's OS X. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason they were used by persons who create media is that Apple has a color correction solution that allows the designer to create things on the screen and have them come out on paper looking exactly the some.

Microsoft didn't know or care how to do that until recently, and frankly, it's not that good. I do media creation on a Windows 7 system and there are still issues.

And you've made one of my points. I have never had to run antivirus software since moving to Mac in 1999.

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point is that PCs are infinitely upgradeable, unlike Macs. :)

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I buy an Apple; I have to use Apple's OS.

I buy a PC; I can run Windows, or Redhat Linux, or Linux Mint, or Debian, or a number of other operating systems. I can also, as many computer science majors do, create an operating system for my final CS degree project, and run it on a PC.

If I know what I'm doing, I can probably crack open an Apple and change the OS; but Apple doesn't like you doing that, which is why they allow you to dual boot now. It's easier on a PC.

Apple does some things better than Windows.

PCs can allow you to do some things that Apple won't.

So I reiterate: it's a matter of preference. Select the right tool for the job; and/or the tool that's right for you.

Oh, and if you're operating an Apple product without an antivirus, you should seriously consider changing that mindset.

• Like Like x 3
  20. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I resent this remark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.