1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Random Thoughts On ....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by wpe3bql, Jun 16, 2015.

1. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

..... Prayer.

I've been a member of God's family for almost 50 years. During this time, I've observed different things concerning prayer.

These are just some questions that I'd love to read your thoughts/comments about:

1) I was "taught" that a person should always end his/her prayers with, ".....In Jesus' (and/or Christ's) name. Amen."

Is "in His name" an "acceptable" ending?

2) Many people (especially elderly ones) seem to revert into the KJV verbiage during their prayers. EXAMPLE: "..... O gracious Father, we do humbly beseecheth Thee to draw Thine ear closely to our petitions ....."

Are such expressions intended to get God's attention more than, say, "Father, please hear our cries...."???

3) Are the males always required to remove their hats, caps, etc., during prayer, regardless if they are the ones giving or attending the prayer?? I wonder about that when it comes to when men are facing intense combat, in which it may not be the most judicious thing to remove their helmets.

4) There are some people who seem to almost insist that they bow down on both knees during prayer time. Some will even go so far as to insist that the people fall face down.

Since I'm severely handicapped, it's quite painful for me to assume such a posture as this.

5) Some firmly believe that one must raise his/her hands heaven-ward during prayer because that what seems to be the case in most OT passages that make any reference to one's "prayer posture."

OTOH, I've been in congregations that would frown on such practices as this, probably assuming that any person who did so was some charismatic and/or Pentecostal ..... which would be grounds for condemning them as rank heretics.

6) Is it a sin for a teacher/facilitator, etc., of a group of mixed adults to call on a female to offer up prayers for that group of people?

There probably other "prayer-related" practices I could mention.

I would say that some of the ones I did mention are based solely on "Tradition(!)"

Maybe you could add some that I haven't mentioned, which is fine with me.

Any rate, I'd love to read what you think about any (or all) of the above, and feel free to mention others as well.

Amen!! :thumbs:

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh my. I've never heard of so many rules for prayer. Sounds like something the Pharisees would come up with. I've been known to pray while I'm driving my truck. Is that wrong? Better not be! LOL.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are to pray to the Father, led by the Spirit, in the name of Christ. The reason we do this in the name of Christ is we are making an appeal that the reason we have the right to come before the throne of the Father is because of Christ and His finished work on the cross.

I remove my hat and my glasses when I pray. I always try to kneel or bow when praying it is at all possible. I do so out of reverence of God. Neither I nor anyone I know requires anyone to remove hats in prayer.

4. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

ITL: Does the Textus Receptus mention anything about "Thy Truck"??? ...... I thinkest not!!! :tongue3:

BTW, these are just "observations," not "Rules that the LORD hast given to His congregation," (although I suppose some might consider them to be, e.g., "Why is that newcomer sitting in my 'RESERVED ["from the council halls of eternity past" no less] spot on 'ye olde pew'!!!!) :smilewinkgrin:

Oh yes, "Thou best NOT be wearing thy trucker's cap when thou prayest for in such times as thou so doest, I shall cut off thy offspring up to the third or fourth generation!!" :BangHead:

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In the Gospels Jesus dealt with the Pharisees who added to the written word with what they called the oral Torah as though it were equivalent to scripture because the rabbis said it. Consider the posture of the person praying and the words that Jesus and Paul said. How did those prayers end? Traditions are like the oral Torah. They are not God's word they are cultural and often another's opinion.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many of these customs revolve around the way "spiritual" people perform their prayers.

So we try to imitate the postures of their prayers.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the LORD looks on the heart rather than any outward expression of piety.

Rob

7. Servent

Servent Member

As long as you don't close your eyes