1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randomness in the Bible?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is pointless to define anything for you. You will just ignore it when I do.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You say there are several- you provided one and it was very ambiguous; certainly not enough to prove anything.

Where are the others??

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks, I knew you wouldn't do it. You are indeed consistent...and dishonest. You have failed to define anything anyone asks you. As has already been pointed out to you, copying and pasting things with the word contained within IS NOT DEFINING the word.

Since you want to keep everyone guessing all of the time on what you mean when you say anything (randomness in the Bible for instance) I think it is clear who holds to the "nameless" theology here.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Fair enough.

This is perfectly possible.

Yes. God cannot be in control and not in control at the same time.

He controls even the outcome of the casting of lots according to the Scripture as I have demonstrated.

This does not undermine the freedom and responsibility of man. But it recognizes that God does not forfeit his sovereignty over any PART of his creation.

You just abandoned the use of Scripture in a theological debate.

It is not just proof texting if the passages are in context.

Bible is NECESSARY to prove things... well... BIBLICALLY.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

If I point you to a post where I defined it will you start a thread of apology saying, "I was wrong and Luke was right..."?

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Luke, one verse is all one needs if correctly understood. God's word is trustworthy and reliable and profitable for correction.

And again, anytime someone wants me to "prove" something, a red flag goes up. I can provide evidence that is sufficent for me and for others to accept the premise. If you care to accept it, great. But please do set the standard that I must prove something to your satisfication. Or claim because you rejected it, I did not make the case which others would accept as "proof."

7. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

This is a false dichotomy.

You two make it appear things must happen by God's direct agency or its completely random. There is the "permissive" aspect of God's decree, remember the definition of decree you refused to address or supply, Luke?

Crabtownboy is now appearing to be appealing to that aspect of God's decree (one that even Edwards acknowledged and taught) but you still can't seem to recognize the distinction between what God actively DOES and what God passively PERMITS, something even Calvinists and Arminians historically have been able to agree upon. :tear:

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good luck with that. I will...and I believe Skan said he would give you a check for $1000 as well if you did.

Are you going to define "randomness" for us as well?

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I was in armed conflict, lets say more than 1000 BC, and shot an arrow without taking specific aim and the arrow happened to hit an opponent right between two pieces of his armor, I would think the wound happened by chance. But another might say, no Van, you are wrong. God controlled that flight not with long standing rules of physics, but guided it to accomplish his specific predetermined purpose for that shot.

Of course he would be making that all up, all we know is it happened without specific intent. Anyone can add to scripture, but if we stick to what it says, sometimes arrows are shot at random.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Then you do not have any others, right?

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=1658769#post1658769

This is the Westminster Confession of Faith defining "decree" for us; unarguably the greatest words ever written in description of this matter.

It also contains the Baptist Confession of Faith defining "decree".

This is not the first time I have referenced these confessions.

BTW, the argument that what is provided there is not a definition is absurd. Look up the word definition. Furthermore, consider that confessions EXIST to DEFINE our beliefs on theological matters.

12. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Randomness or chance in the Bible:

I added the bold.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No, it does not have to happen by direct agency but it must happen as part of God's plan and it must happen as a result of God's power and it cannot exist unless God planned and purposed it to in eternity past.

Not possible- really, quite blasphemous, imo.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Randomness only exists on OUR part. That has nothing at all to do with God allowing things to happen at random on his part.

The point of that very passage is that the arrow did NOT hit Ahab at random. God said EXACTLY how he would die and God killed him. Ahab's death was planned, purposed, prophesied and empowered by God. God brought it to pass by DESIGN.

This is the exact OPPOSITE of the definition of the word "random".

It was ONLY random on the part of the man drawing the bow. It was not at ALL random on the part of God.

15. Skandelon

A confessional document that uses the word in the same manner that you have used it does not qualify as a definition. And regarding the statement:

"“God from all eternity did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass:”

You have only replaced the word "decree" with the word "ordain" which is the OTHER word I requested that you define back when we first started this quest for definitions. :BangHead:

Pick a theological dictionary and copy and paste the definition of decree and ordain that you are comfortable with and we can move on Luke, its not that difficult.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ecceliastes also says this:

Ecclesiastes 3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

It would appear there is a contradiction, but scripture never contradicts itself.

"Time and chance" is another way of saying that bad things happen to everyone for no apparent reason.
    Yet God is in control. We just do not see the whole picture as He does.

17. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a statement of faith that cannot be proven one way or the other. You gave two verses ... if my memory is correct ... both of which can be interpreted a number of ways as all scripture can be so interpreted. I found two verses and, as you have shown, they can be interpreted in all honesty in several ways. That is just one of the many reasons our journey to understanding continues throughout all our life and if we do not change in our understanding as we age then something is terribly wrong within our own quest.

That sounds like double-speak.

I am still waiting on an explanation of how randomness impacts negatively on God's character?

also ...

Does God have to act or have acted according to your understanding?

I would never and I mean never make such an assertion that God had to do it the way I understand. That would be skating on extremely thin ice seeing as how my understanding has changed over the years.

I hope you understand all this is very gently said.

It was ONLY random on the part of the man drawing the bow. It was not at ALL random on the part of God.[/QUOTE]

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I do not mind doing that. I will do it. But I think it is unfortunate that you do not recognize the greatest description and fullest definition the world has ever known written by the most brilliant minds in history on this matter.

As I said before, the Westminster Confession and the 1689 Baptist Confession EXIST to define our position on these theological ideas.

19. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I must have missed something. I thought the Bible exists to give us guidance and to define our positions.

I am a very traditional Baptist and put very little faith in confessions. Sorry.

20. Skandelon

Define your position "yes," the individual words being employed "no." I don't have the confessional authors here to debate, I have you. You can just defer to them as if they are inerrant and divinely inspired because they use lofty pretty language, or you can engage in the discussion and defend your views.

Let's start by defining "decree" and "ordain."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.