1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rank the top 20 NFL quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Alcott, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe if he hadn't been a QB, he wouldn't have married the woman that he did (and we shouldn't discount her contribution) :laugh: .

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Peyton either holds or is on pace to break almost every significant NFL passing mark. That is not questioned. He got the ring to validate his career that the Paris Hilton types at ESPN clammored for. And I don't care if he played for Tennessee, Florida, or the Barbizon school of modeling. Peyton Manning is Peyton Manning.(I didn't like a lot of the guys I rated highly and liked the guys I didn't - so what?) (And I couldnt help but notice: you backed off the homer bit because you can't honestly claim I do nothing but carry Tenn's water since you know better). There's a reason Peyton is included in NFL bump spots alongside Payton, Lombardi, et.al. You honestly think he wouldn't be enshrined in Canton if he retired tomorrow? And tell me this: if you were building a team tomorrow, which QB would you take: Peyton or Brady? Madden said it best: you build certain teams around certain players, but you build franchises around Peyton Manning. Worked for Indy, didn't it?

I'd be interested to see where you would rate Peyton. You didn't argue with Andy having him at #8, I notice. (Actually, where would you rate all 20?) Obviously, we're free to have our opinions, and I could really have some fun with yours, but I'll leave it at this.....

You want to tell me with a straight face that Brady is on pace to be the best QB ever? You don't include Manning in your top 5...the same top five that leaves out the Unitases, Starrs, and well, anyone who didn't take a snap after Reagan's first inaugural. When did Stuart Scott start ghost writing for you :laugh: I know you reacted against Andy praising the era of old and somewhat accurately pointing out the flaws in today's era (which I can understand where he is coming from, though he is coming from left field as usual and do not follow him completely there) but you fail to recognize any of the greats of the game from eras past?

This is one of the hardest things to quantify. QBs can't win without good talent. Eras are different. That's why it's fun to talk about.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Olivia Manning's womb should be on this list, I suppose :laugh:

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

If he breaks all of those records, then yes he will be up there at 1 or 2 easy. I have no problem with that. I just think you are putting your list together as if that is all a reality, and it isn't.

I would say he would be anywhere from 5-8 right now. I think he and Brady are pretty even right now, with Brady have the championships and not too shabby stats either, and Peyton having the better stats without as many titles.

I will put together my top 20 and post it tomorrow

I think he has a chance to be when things are done. I could easily see him winning 2 more titles and his stats are only going to get better.

What would it take for him to be considered in your opinion?

I think its a possibility that Peyton and Brady could be 1-2 actually.

Thats not true. I think Unitas and Starr are great QBs as well as Baugh and Graham.

I agree.

#44 PastorSBC1303, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2008
  5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

While my post was in jest, I've come to believe that it might have some merit. You do not have a great QB without a good to great team around him. Archie and Olivia, my oh my what a team. :type:

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Ah, I didn't realize you were joking. You should add a smiley to a post like, and then I won't be scratching my head wondering if you've lost your mind. :wavey:

On 2nd thought, please elaborate. I don't see what being a father to 2 Super Bowl MVPs has to do with being the greatest QB ever.

7. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

What about Y.A. Tittle? He should have been on the list, perhaps instead of Namath.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Since I haven't put my own list out here yet, here it is. My criteria for the choices is, if I had 1 game to win and could pick 1 QB to win it, who would I pick?

1. Montana
    2. Unitas
    3. Elway
    4. Favre
    5. Graham
    6. Aikman
    7. Bradshaw
    8. Staubach
    9. Starr
    10. Young
    11. Baugh
    12. Brady
    13. Manning
    14. Simms
    15. Griese
    16. Fouts
    17. Marino
    18. Tarkenton
    19. Moon
    20. Namath

Namath is the most overrated QB in history. I would take YA Tittle, Ken Anderson, Ken Stabler, Jim Plunkett or even Jim McMahon before I'd take Namath.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

OK Tom, here is my list, chew it up... :)

1. Montana
    2. Elway
    3. Marino
    4. Favre
    5. Brady
    6. Unitas
    7. Manning
    8. Starr
    9. Bradshaw
    10. Staubach
    11. Baugh
    12. Tarkenton
    13. Graham
    14. Aikman
    15. Fouts
    16. Young
    17. Griese
    18. Namath
    19. Simms
    20. Moon

The bottom 3, Namath, Simms and Moon could easily be replaced by Tittle, and some of the other names mentioned. I am not sure any of the 3 belong in the top 20.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Which Manning?? ;)

Ed

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Which Manning? The one who won a Super Bowl? Or the one who won a Super Bowl? Or Pops? ;)

Ed

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I tend to agree.

More to come....

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I find it curious that you consider Brady to be so good. No question he's a great QB. But better than Terry, Starr, Unitas, Baugh, Tittle? Sorry, I just don't buy it. If the number of Super Bowl rings is so important, where's Mark Rypien on these lists? Get my drift?

My opinion of Brady is that he is a great QB but not one of the all-time greats. I look at more than just rings. His numbers are good but there are QBs that are better. I think Manning is a better game manager and passer. Put the right people around Brady and he's great. Manning is great, period, IMHO.

I've always wondered what Montana would've done with less talent. He had quite the cache.

Sorry, out of time for now....

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Namath is the most overrated QB in history.

I wonder what he did to your Vols to make you say that. All I know for sure, without looking it up, is that if Alabama played Tennessee in his senior year of '64, he won.

But frankly, I disagree about Namath being "the most overrated QB in history." I don't think he should in the top 10, though he might be if he hadn't been chronically injured through his career (which does have to be taken into account when evaluating his performance). But after his 3rd or 4th comeback, in 1973, he led the NFL in passing on a mediocre team. While his most acclaimed moment was in Super Bowl III, following '68, he also had outstanding years in '67 and '69. The fact that he was the first QB to attain 4,000 yards passing in a season may not seem to mean that much today; but it is a reliable key to how well he played compared to his contemporaries-- which includes several others on most everyone's lists... Unitas (who never led the league in passing), Starr, Tarkenton, Bradshaw, Staubach.

There are 2 things, though, about Joe which (IMO) still cause many fans to degrade him. The first is that he played (5 years) in the AFL, considered an upstart and pass-happy league compared to the NFL. But that's obviously answered by the most famous upset in pro football history. The second is his off-field antics and personality. He was the "hippie quarterback," as many, including my dad, referred to him. He once shaved his mustache off on a live commercial for $5000, he wore long fur coats, sometimes on the sidelines when he wasn't playing, and he virtually bragged about all the women who threw themselves at him, and how he was glad to oblige his "groupies." And he was almost suspended indefinitely when Pete Rozelle ordered him to sell his interest in a New York bar that was known to be frequented by gamblers (he finally did so after holding out all of training camp).

But I just try to separate his questionable character from his quarterback play. I am sure you guys are going to claim you do that also. But tell me why he is so overrated... how did he compare to Unitas, Starr, Tarkenton, Bradshaw, et al, if you think he should not be up there with them?

#54 Alcott, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Namath was 3-0 against UT. So what? Namath is a Bammer, and while that's a horrible sin :smilewinkgrin: it's not why I (and I suppose CCROB) believe he is overrated. Namath's stats are not as impressive as other QBs. I merely contend that if Namath had not worn pantyhose, mink coats, and ran his mouth, he'd be considered good or very good, and not some great QB. No question the upset in SB III was a big one. But still, look at his numbers. Is Namath really one of the ten or fifteen best? Twenty best? I think not.

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Mine was Peyton and I'd guess that Peyton was PastorSBC's choice as well. I'll be very interested to see how Eli plays in the regular season next year after having so much success in the playoffs.

Agree completely.

17. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

You do know that some people just seem to be able to preform better in a playoff situation. Eli may just be this type of player. Others like Marino were a great regular season QB but when it came to the playoffs they rarely get past the first game.

#57 Palatka51, Feb 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  18. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

However if you give Marino a viable running back who knows how many championships he leads his team to.

19. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Or a better defense.

20. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Yes, I realize that. However, until these playoffs, Eli hadn't distinguished himself in either the regular season or the postseason.