1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rank the top 20 NFL quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Alcott, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

How long has he been in the league?

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Eli's been in the league since 2004.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

If Brady had only won the first Superbowl and had no other success then you arguement would work with Rypien. But you cannot compare Brady and Rypien. He has won 3 Superbowls. His stats are good.

I could ask you the same thing about Peyton. How do you have him above so many other guys?

Hold up here a minute. The same thing could be said about Peyton. He has had some really good talent around him as well. Harrison, Wayne, James, and Addai... What's the difference? A lot of the great QBs had great talent around them.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

In 1993, a 37 year old Montana led the Kansas City Chiefs to the AFC Champoinship Game. The Chiefs leading rusher was a past-his-prime Marcus Allen with 764 yards. Their leading receiver was Willie Davis (who?) with 909 yards. He probably wouldn't have 4 Super Bowl wins, but I think would have been a great QB regardless.

5. PastorSBC1303

Great example ccr, I had forgotten that.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, if you do want to bring stats more into this, right here is the current top 20 rated QB's...

1Steve Young*

2Peyton Manning

3Kurt Warner

4Joe Montana*

5Marc Bulger

6Daunte Culpepper

7Chad Pennington

8Tom Brady

9Drew Brees

10Trent Green

11Jeff Garcia

12Dan Marino*

13Donovan McNabb

14Matt Hasselbeck

15Brett Favre

16Rich Gannon

17Brian Griese

18Jim Kelly*

19Mark Brunell

20Jake Delhomme

There are quite a few names there that do not seem to merit attention for the "20 best." And also quite a few frequently mentioned who are missing-- Unitas, Starr, Tarkenton, Staubach, et al. Sure, you can argue that QB ratings favor the "west coast" ans "spread" offenses since the 80's, and that's the reason those guys aren't there, but you did mention that Namath's stats are not as impressive as "other QB's." Do you do the same thing in considering these "other QB's?"

Another fact of concern here is that when people become celebrities-- especially because of their activities outside thier various fields of sports, entertainment, or politics-- it is no longer possible to evaluate them objectively. You say Namath would not be considered 'great' by anyone (almost) if not for his mouth, and nonconformist antics, and that is probably true (remember, I said he may be top 20, but not top 10). But other despised him for the same things many went ape over him about.

Objectively, though, Namath does not have a high QB rating compared to many largely because he threw more interceptions than TD's. The only other one of frequent mention here of whom that is true (as far as I know now) is Y.A. Tittle-- who I think also may be top 20, but not top 10.

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

There is a name in there that I didn't remember and should have. Kurt Warner. When he ran The Greatest Show on Turf, he was unstoppable. I've read that the toughest thing in the world for a QB to do is to find their hot read when under pressure. At his best, there was nobody better at doing that than Warner. He would make some of the most incredible passes I've seen and, to quote the Boo-Yah network, was as cool as the other side of the pillow.

His career has been shorter than most of the other QBs in the list, so maybe he doesn't merit getting put in the Top 20 list of all-time greats, but I'd settle for an Honorable Mention for him.

8. PastorSBC1303

I don't think Warner belongs in the top 20, but I do think maybe the top 25 or 30 probably. You are right in that brief time with St. Louis there was no one better.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

There is still much that is subjective, even with the passer ratings system.

And, BTW, the question was not who are/were the most efficient passers, but the best quarterbacks.

I still really do have to question any ratings system that can rank Mark Bulger, Rich Gannon, Brian Griese, and Mark Brunell above say, John Elway, Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr and Terry Bradshaw, though.

Ed

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, Joe Montana was the QB of the SF 49ers for 4 Super Bowl titles, XVI, XIX, XXIII, XXIV.

Steve Young led them to yet another one, XXIX.

Ed

#70 EdSutton, Feb 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2008
  11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I recognized that I shorted Montana one after a few posts had been added here; but since no one had made a case, I didn't bother to edit that.

As for the ratings system-- in place since 1973-- rating all these newer guys ahead of championship QB's of the 40's-70's, and computing only their passing numbers and not their overall ability as QB's... I agree. That's why I think the first name usually brought up as the QB of the "all-time NFL team" is Unitas. He did not lead the league in passing, but he was known especially for TD passes and comebacks, and won the MVP award 3 times because he was considered the ideal "field general" QB-- like a coach on the field. He not only called all his own plays, but if a player was not performing up to par, he would send him out, and his head coach would always back him up on that. After he retired, in interviews he often deplored the loss of on-field authority of the QB position, especially plays sent in or signaled in becoming the 'norm.' I bet he cringed that time Dallas was trying to come back in the final minute at Philadelphia and Troy Aikman yelled at RT Erik Williams for letting the DE come from outside to smear him, and Aikman was called a 'racist' for justifiably cracking him there on the field.