1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Rapture in 70 AD

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your opinion is duly noted.

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

The only thing more ignorant than Preterism is Calvinism. Both lead Christians away from the truth and toward error.

3. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the ignorance is in calling that which you don't understand "ignorant".

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

If there has ever been a heresy in the church, full preterism is among the top. I cannot believe that you are allowed to espouse this false doctrine at this Christian site. If anything should be banned it's those who believe like you.

5. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More heretical than Finneyism?

6. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me from Scripture how Preterism is heresy.

I used to feel as strongly as you did, years ago. I even kicked people off of my group because of Preterism. But someone had patience with me, carefully explaining those passages that I had misunderstood, or, in many cases, never really noticed.

Show me from the Bible.

7. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, I appreciated your gentle response to my "three big errors" comment. You did better than I did. Sometimes I get a bit testy, and I need to not be that way.

8. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I do understand them, just like I understand the false Jehovah's Witness doctrine. All three are in serious error.

9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I don't support Finneyism either.

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I will not waste my time playing your game. You have been shown the error or Preterism for months if not years here, yet you still refuse the truth. Continue in your false doctrine if you must. Just because you turned from the truth of God to fables, don't blame me.

I'm through with this thread, too much false doctrine, like Preterism, gives me a headache. :wavey:

11. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bible reading and discussion is not a game. It is earnest business. However, suit yourself.

12. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is to Arminians. That's why we have MacArthur, Sproul, Johnson, Don Green, Michael Horton, Al Mohler, RW Glenn, Mark Dever, Russell Moore, etc, and they have Joel Osteen, Rick Warren, and Rob Bell.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have not entered this thread, because I do not know enough about the 70 AD theory to comment. I did go to Utube and listen to a speaker, forgot the name, but had six one hour videos to explain the differences between partial Preterism and futurism. It was called Victorious Eschatology.

Anyway, he started by going over the three questions asked in Matthew 24. He claims the first two are linked to the destruction of Jerusalem, but that the third one is futurist. In a later video, he also claims there will be a second coming of the Lord in the future.

Also, in another video (I have not been through all six, but just short of four) he explains the differences in Daniel 2. The large stone that crushes all the other empires. It is basically the same pattern, one is 70 AD, the other is in the future.

I will agree with one thing you said, that it is possible to believe in partial preterism without a Rapture in 70 AD.

So what year do you think Revelation was written? I strongly believe what the Bible says that the Lord will return as He left at the ascension. I can see where this is a doctrine that takes quite a bit of study before criticizing like some here have, but it also takes a lot of study before I would ever consider it Scriptural. I just think we have lots of posters on this board who start a fight about something they have no clue as to what they are talking about.

14. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Daniel 2 was one of the first passages that, back in the 70s, started to turn on a red light about my beliefs. I was doing a paper at BJU on Daniel's vision. Although I followed my instructor's view that this was still future, I already noticed the marked parallel to the NT and to the first century event.

I believe that Revelation was written sometime in the 60s. The evidence is both external and internal. I had written on this elsewhere.

Yes, Preterism (of any stripe) is something that often provokes a fight. Which is a shame, because when we fight we don't examine things dispassionately. I did the same thing. My Yahoo group ABCProphecy started in the 90s was strongly Pre-wrath. Like I said, I showed many Preterists the door. Too bad the I didn't take the time to listen to what they were saying, to objectively weigh their argument.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, somewhere in another BB forum can you (if you are willing) give a recounting of your trip to China?

Or maybe you have it at another URL?

Let us know?

Thanks
    HankD

16. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank, I don't have one place where I have written about my time in China, but I do have a link to many pictures from there. Two in particular might be of interest. My best of China series:
    www.flickr.com/photos/asterisktom/sets/72157629254045523/

and my Teaching in China set:
    www.flickr.com/photos/asterisktom/sets/72157629254045523/

Unfortunately, Flickr has revamped their interface where it is much harder to find what I want there.

Also I have this Youtube video where my college students gave me a very touching and heartfelt gift - a song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1UYB6M17lU

I have had a number of witnessing opportunities. Some Chinese are quite open to the Gospel. A lot of them, however, are so dazzled by the still-new pageant of gadgetry, entertainment and relative prosperity that they don't feel the need for the Bible message.

I am quite willing to cross-post this to another forum here, lest it distract from this current thread. Which forum is most appropriate?

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably Missions, witnessing, etc, but the General Baptist Forum might be better because I suspect a larger audience.

In any event we can check out the URL's you posted.

Thanks Tom.
    HankD

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom,

Lots of great pictures - well its not your fault about the dogs meat for sale, its a cultural thing I guess.

Also, I was surprised to see young Chinese people with English/American culture tee-shirts.

Hmm, also the Bible open to the Book of Esther, I guess you can publicly carry a Bible around in China.

And was that a Buddha statue?

Nice ending with the plane ready for boarding.

HankD

19. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Hank,

I think I will take your suggestion and start a new thread in the Baptist forum:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=2004659#post2004659

#99 asterisktom, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
  20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pretierist view, that denies thebodily resurrection of jesus and the saints, as we will have a spiritual resurrection, and they hold to new heavens/new earth as NOT the millinium, or final state, but a spiritual state when God destroyed isreal and installed new Covenant!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.