1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ray Boltz Comes Out

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Revmitchell, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So just to clarify, you were a born-again believer practicing the homosexual lifestyle when you returned to church and were openly flouting it and denying it was wrong? You were entirely unrepentant when you attended?

Jamie, I am very happy the Lord brought you to repentance. But we have to go by God's word, not our experiences or our own beliefs on these matters.

It could be that the church you came back to, since you were not a member, treated you as possibly an unbeliever even though you said you were a believer. Is that possible?

It must also be, based on your story here, that you were feeling some conviction on this and were not totally in rebellion or you would not have gone to the church nor would you have listened to anyone there about this. If the pastor saw a glint of repentance or receptivity to the truth in you, that is what he was responding to. I have a hard time envisioning a homosexual attending a conservative church who is openly practicing that lifestyle, and is openly rebellious to God.

2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Yes and no.... I'll explain a bit.. I was a born again believer practicing the lifetstyle when I returned to church.

I wouldn't call what I did openly flouting it, but I guess I did. I lived my life like anyone else.. if they asked if I were married I would tell them no, my partner's name is... and introduce them. If they didn't ask I didn't tell them.

I didn't pretend to be straight although during my gay lifestyle I am a pretty 'straight acting' guy... I am not a 'flamer' as we called them in fact I never really liked flamer's and the ones that threw it down your throat. I am of the nature that either side of the fence if it's not done right then it's wrong..

Flamers that try to throw the gay lifestyle down everyone's throat is wrong just as the people like Fred Pheps as an example.

To know me, you would know I was gay... to see me you wouldn't. Understand? It's hard for me to explain.

That I understand fully now, I have always known that but I have a greater appreciation for it now, but I don't think that would or should stop me from using my real life examples to better God's kingdom if it can. In my opinion, it doesn't have to be either or I can go by what God tells me any my life examples to reach people.

No, they knew I was raised in a church, I talked about my father many times and they knew I was a Christian.

I did always have the feeling I was wrong.. there was a conviction of sorts and I know now it's was the Holy Spirit working within my life.

That is why in this thread, I mentioned that we don't always know what is working within the insides.. the person like Ray might state he is happy to live the "way God made me"... trust me, I used that one a bunch of times.. but on the inside the Holy Spirit is steadily working on that person's soul. Since we can't see the inside and have to trust God knows best, I believe we should continue to love that person, encourage them to repent and change but never, never shut the door. You can encourage a person without saying what they are doing is ok.

Then you should have met me a year ago or longer... :) I have always loved the Lord and wanted him in my life, but I always for many many years felt that i was meant to be gay.. that that was my lifestyle, not a choice, not something to take lightly... not a phase but my life.. I lived both for many years.. in the end the Lord won with me.

It's the same fight I fought many years that many are going through now.. I want to reach out to them and let them know God loves them and that unless they change they are headed down a dark and deadly path. Through my love and caring I hope to reach out and help do my part and save the ones God is working within.. At the same time understanding that some people will never be reached... some people will never come to terms with that lifestyle and will never give it up. I to this day have struggles but they are getting better.. I am sure they will never go away, but the Lord is walking with me and I trust and have my faith in him.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I understand what you are saying. Btw, I was around a lot of gay men and women before I was saved -- there are quite a few in the New Age. I used to do charts for lesbian witches, and my husband worked with a gay man who was a friend of ours. We met his partner who eventually died of AIDS. My vice-president (a guy) when I was president of the astrological society was gay and was a good friend of mine. And there were many others.

Well, if you were a believer, I would think you were convicted.

But what do we do with what God's word says? I agree we need to urge them to repent but if there is no sign of repentance, no sign of softening to God's word, then we have to follow that word. Putting someone out of the church is not shutting the door; it is causing them to face their sin. They repent and come back. Did you read 1 Cor. 5? It's there to instruct us in these matters. Also the passage from Timothy.

You lived both? Does this mean you were always conflicted about it? If so, then I would say you were not hardened and the pastor saw that. Plus, if you came back to the church after many years, this is a sign that the Lord is working in you. That is different from someone in the church who says he is gay, is lovingly confronted, but chooses not to repent and believes it is okay and continues on that way.

The struggles you have are similar to the struggles I see in my ministry with some people coming out of the occult. It's often a day-to-day struggle, trusting the Lord.