1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured RC Sproul and Alcoholic Beverages

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

When Jesus gave the Great Commission He didn't say to go only to those nations where you are permitted to preach the gospel. Judson was not permitted to preach the gospel in Burma but he went anyway. It is said that they tried to keep the apostle Thomas from preaching the gospel in India. Eventually he was martyred for his faith.

Peter and John answered those in authority in Jerusalem:
    Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

In chapter four they had already been ordered not to preach in his name.
    Their answer:
    Acts 4:19 But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.
    20 For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.

Since when did the government ever keep people from believing or preaching the gospel. How anemic has our Christianity become??

The Great Commission is for everyone.
    Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.
    If God has not given you a specific call to remain at home then he has called you abroad. The command is to go, not to remain.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you make that assumption?

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not going to prolong the argument. Just cite the verse where Paul said, "I will eat no meat at his house."

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is no assumption involved, only a command.

Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Where is the command to remain at home?

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good....then the world can be Jersey City.

And BTW, if these Muslem countries have strict laws against preaching the Word, how can you do that....are you not breaking the laws of the rulers of that or those countries?

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said to Luke, I'm not going to prolong the argument. In matters of alcohol especially, for reasons not the least of which is expressly and universally identified by the Spirit as a genuine matter of conscience for most of Christ's own, the abuse of which is the source of most societal ills and to which most men are most prone, and from which the abstinence costs absolutely nothing, it is telling that one is unwilling to forego this one little thing for the love of his weaker brethren.

Christ said it well, the love of many shall was cold.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your argument is circular, against yourself, and against the Bible.
    1. The Bible commands it. Go into all nations.
    2. God's laws trump man's laws.
    3. "Against the law to believe" is simply religious persecution. Jesus said "in the world you shall have persecution...."
    Paul said: "all who live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution."
    And again: "It is given unto you not only to believe on him BUT ALSO to suffer for his sake."
    Also: "We are heirs of God and joint heirs of Christ, IF SO BE, that we suffer with him."

Anemic Christians of today are not willing to suffer for Christ. Any reason will do.
    Right now Syrian Christians are given the choice: Recant of Christianity and be a Muslim; or die.

You can choose to stay in the safety of your own home. Or you can find a way to take the gospel to those who have never heard it before, and do not have any means of hearing it except someone go and tell them.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats right your Canadian.....so you havent been to Jersey City have you? BTW, who attends to them?

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Nice OP. Short and concise.

When going fishing if I only brought 1 Baptist, my beer would disappear fast. So I learned to bring 2 Baptists and less beer.

10. preacher4truth

Dr. Obvious has answered correctly.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You do not know much about me. As I said, I am a missionary. Before we first got to the mission field, we traveled through America from the Atlantic to the Pacific and by the time we were finished we had been in more than half of the fifty states. How many have you been in?
    I won't say if I have been in Jersey City or not. It doesn't matter. I know enough about Americans and their culture to know that there are enough gospel-preaching churches, gospel programs on TV, gospel messages on the Radio, gospel literature freely available, that there is no excuse for anyone in Jersey City not to be saved.
    That is not the case in an Islamic nation. There just is no comparison.

12. preacher4truth

How have you gone from consumption of alcohol to 'drunkenness'? The OP doesn't speak of drunkenness, yet you've implied it. Your conclusion is not one in the same.

I've seen worse behavior from Baptist gluttons who gorge amongst others and do so more oft than a person who would drink a glass of wine at dinner, yet such gluttonous behavior is acceptable traditionally.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here frankly you descend into sentimentality & allow them excuses for their selected weakness. And right after you were castigating homosexuals ..... whats the difference between a homosexual & a drunk then & whats the solution to both?

The weaker brother is a weakling because he has chosen to be weak.... to anything (sex, drugs & Rock & Roll )! Then there are those who steadfastly refuse to be enslaved to anything....in their hearts or their minds or their souls.....whichever you wish to call it, and there are those who will use misfortune to educate and elevate themselves. It is still their choice & its a matter of character.

Ive said my piece & I'm done with this topic.

Will let you have the final word.

#73 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
  14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Soi help me understand your point here.

Are you saying that anything any Christian says he thinks is a sin that no other Christian on earth should ever participate in?

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is a conscience toward meat offered to idols and wine as an evil thing selected? Paul didn't treat it as such. He said not everyone has certain knowledge.

Had no idea where this came from or what you meant till I realized you dont understand of which Paul is speaking when he speaks of weak brothers.

He said that if a brother has a conscience toward something as an evil thing, and his knowledge that you take liberties with those things emboldens him to do the same while not having the faith that he may, then he has sinned because his act was not of faith, and you have sinned because you did not act out of love or regard for the weaker brother.

It isn't about a propensity to alcoholism or idolatry, though the majority of those saved out of those vices have a conscience toward wine and the meat as evil things.

Besides smelling like an Arminian and being the complete antithesis of Paul's writing on the matter, that statement is simply not true.

Good.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Just genuine matters of conscience. It's called love.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So if I love some Christian who believes it is a sin to wear a tie I never put on another tie so long as I live, right?

What if I meet another Christian later on who thinks its a sin NOT to wear a tie?

I guess I'm really in a pickle then, huh?

18. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Not sure Basketball skills can cause a man to stumble, but I could be wrong.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure...a drunk is going to stop drinking simply because I stop drinking & then suddenly the world will become clean and sober. What a freaking joke.:laugh:

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Alcohol is as morally neutral as basketball.

A man who overindulges in either or the two- or in anything else for that matter- sins.

A man who does either in moderation responsibly does not sin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.