1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured RC Sproul and Alcoholic Beverages

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did I throw rocks at you?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note that it was even suggested that we are "drunks" attempting to justify our drunkedness. Funny stuff right!

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you STILL don't get it.

She obviously has no conscience toward wine as an evil thing. Her alcoholism is irrelevant—though "make no provision for the flesh" may apply in your case.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually it is exactly what Paul said. Anyone who violates his conscience is sinning, even though the activity itself is really no sin.

And the one who emboldens one to violate his conscience has sinned. This is really pretty basic stuff.

Do I need to post the Scriptures?

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it has been missed that I no where said the temperate consumption of wine is sin.

I'm merely pointing out that the arguments made about it by everyone except myself have been unbiblical and based on living for one's self, and not for one another as Paul had stated.

Again, do I need to post the Scripture?

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No thanks, I can read. The problem is you assume everyone breathing has a conscience to violate with relation to alcohol.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now why in Gods name would wine be an evil thing? Thats rediculous.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So you want me to answer questions but you want answer questions?

What is the difference between a weaker brother with a hang-up about wearing a tie and a weaker brother with a hang-up about drinking alcohol responsibly?

Or better yet, what is the difference between a weakness based on ignorance about carrying gun and drinking responsibly?

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Again, you have to show that your position is truly applicable.

There are two billion people who claim to be Christians. They hanve hundreds of million of stupid hang-ups that if we let them lord those stupid hang-ups over us- we LITERALLY COULD NOT LIVE.

What you've got to show is the limit of the weaker brother principle.

Why does it apply to drinking alcohol in moderation and not apply to drinking caffeine in moderation?

That's what you refuse to deal with.

Until you can show where you think the weaker brother principle stops, you have no argument.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's an arbitrary stipulation of your own imagination. In other words, b. s.

We're talking about wine, the fact that the Scriptures say it is a genuine matter of conscience, and the commandment to support the weak and the manifestation of love in that case.

How to identify a genuine matter of conscience not explicitly mentioned is an entirely different issue altogether, and not a prerequisite to the above.

#110 Aaron, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It isn't ridiculous. God said many, understandably, have that notion, and He gave instructions concerning it.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea religious nuts, fools & Weaklings. I don't pander to them. They are slavishly stupid people.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, that's what Paul said. :rolls eyes:

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul told Timmy to take a little wine.:laugh:

#114 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 14, 2013
  15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Not many of us would choose to go there. It is a matter of obedience. If God calls you to such a nation would you disobey God's call.
    "Whom shall I send; Who will go for me?"
    "Here am I Lord, Send me." That was the proper response.
    Paul said: "Lord what will thou have me to do."
    But you are not willing to obey God even if that is what God wants you to do, and primarily because they have no bars, no alcohol to drink??
    Jersey City is a city of approximately 250,000 people with at least 26 Baptist churches in it. That is a ration of one Baptist church for every ten thousand residents. Not bad. In the winter you could probably make a snowball and throw right into New York City, where there are hundreds of Baptist churches. No excuse not to find a church that you can't go to.

About ten percent of your population comes from the Indian subcontinent. That means they are either Hindu or Muslim.
    A devout Muslim will not drink alcoholic beverages. If you love your neighbor as yourself and desire that they come to Christ you will abstain from alcoholic beverages in order to win those people to Christ. You will never win them to the Lord in pubs and bars, or by offering them a drink. Even having liquor in your house may be an offense to them.
    It wasn't my desire; God commanded me. I obeyed his call. If God commands you would you obey him? Would you go to a nation where all alcohol is strictly forbidden and you would be put in jail for drinking?

It seems that you are addicted to drink or at least the privilege to drink. You wouldn't be able to live your life without it.
    And yet the Bible says:

1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

You seem to be under the power of drink or at least the privilege to have it.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really, is that your conclusion...:laugh:

17. Herald

Herald New Member

I have never mentioned this publicly on the BB, but I am a moderator on the PB. There many Baptists on the PB. There are those on that board who have a personal scruple about consuming alcohol. Others do not. Instead of worrying about your brother's liberty, be concerned about your own Christian walk. Do not label something as sin that God has not.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And since its not a sin, I toast you with a Guinness (i drink them at room temperature) & I enjoy it immensely.....here is to you brother! :wavey:

Cheers :laugh::love2:

#118 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 14, 2013
  19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Did you read the OP. The first sentence is:
    This thread would not exist if there were not two sides to that question. It is a debate forum. I have stated my conviction; and you have stated your opinion.

Let's use an illustration.
    Is it right to lie? No.
    Is it ever right to lie, perhaps a little, maybe in some occasions?
    --Well just "in moderation."

Is it right to drink? No.
    Is it ever right to drink, perhaps a little, maybe in some occasions?
    --Well just "in moderation."

I suppose that if you can lie in moderation you can drink in moderation.
    What is the difference between being a liar and drinking. Both are sin.

Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

20. Herald

Herald New Member

I read it. I attended New Jersey public schools (which is not saying much).

Quite right. I think the biblical evidence proves you are wrong.

I believe that is obvious.

No. Let you use an illustration. "Let's" is the contraction of "let us". I am not submitting to your illustration.

So, now it is a proof text contest?

Luke 22:18 "or I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine from now on until the kingdom of God comes."

Ruth 3:7 When Boaz had eaten and drunk and his heart was merry, he went to lie down at the end of the heap of grain; and she came secretly, and uncovered his feet and lay down.

Genesis 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; now he was a priest of God Most High.

Numbers 28:14 Their drink offerings shall be half a hin of wine for a bull and a third of a hin for the ram and a fourth of a hin for a lamb; this is the burnt offering of each month throughout the months of the year.

Deuteronomy 7:13 He will love you and bless you and multiply you; He will also bless the fruit of your womb and the fruit of your ground, your grain and your new wine and your oil, the increase of your herd and the young of your flock, in the land which He swore to your forefathers to give you.

Ecclesiastes 9:7 Go then, eat your bread in happiness and drink your wine with a cheerful heart; for God has already approved your works.

Isaiah 25:6 The Lord of hosts will prepare a lavish banquet for all peoples on this mountain; A banquet of aged wine, choice pieces with marrow, And refined, aged wine.

And the key verse:

Ephesians 5:18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit,

Shall we play the game you a verse, me a verse, everyone a verse verse?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.