1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Re-Baptism, communion, other ordianances

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TexasSky, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why both cannot be true? The same reason salvation by grace alone, salvation by works and salvation by grace and works cannot all be true.

God is not the author of confusion. The notion of universality, visible or invisible completely confounds the meaning of body and assembly.

I, too, am one of those heretics who believe The Assembly is local and visible--period, end of statement.

Re: re-baptism--one gets scripturally baptized only once. If one is immersed, sprinkled or dunked without scriptural authority, no baptism has taken place. Consider Jesus going to John the Baptist--to be baptized.

It is an authority thing--not everyone waving a Bible has it.

Selah,

Bro. James

2. buckster75

buckster75 Member

it is an accountability thing. Paul said not to partake unworthily. How do I know about a visitor? We tell the people at our church what we believe (closed) and why then tell them if they still want to partake they are free to but the accountablity falls on them not us.

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

No, Christ died once, Christ was buried once, Christ rose once. Christ was baptized once and did not join a local church in order to do so. Baptism follows Christ not a local church.

I would not react. I respect their right to be wrong. I would, however, not respect their wisdom in this matter.

I would not be joining. This isn't merely different, it is wrong.

4. buckster75

buckster75 Member

"they asked you to be re-Baptized"
    Was the first baptism by immersion?

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is, of course, the prerogative of the local church.

I personally would not join one that required rebaptism. I was baptized in 1958 by immersion in a fundamental Baptist church and would not consider it again.

As for the Lord's Table, I see no problem with a church closing communion except to members. Not the way I practice, but valid choice.