1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Re-baptism question

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Emily, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Emily

Emily New Member

Ok.. hi

I was baptised in 1995 with my youth group.. I believe this was a believers baptism..

however

I was wondering if maybe I should be rebaptized because

1. I consider that I was indecently dressed at the time..(wearing my bathing suit) and that distracted my mind at the time

and

2. I backslid since then and have since returned..

My husband will probably be baptised this Sunday, and I have been thinking that I should go up there with him, but then again, I have already been baptised..

any thoughts?

When I pray about it, I get a peace about having it done again, but sometimes what I have thought has been from God, has not been..

2. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

Hi Emily,

I know what you're talking about when you say that since you've been baptised that you've backslidden and since returned. I can't speak to the bathing suit issue but God already knows all about you, he knit you in your mother's womb, right? I don't think He minded your bathing suit, he wants your heart and since you believe that your baptism was scripturally sound, "a believer's baptism", then I woundn't give it a second thought except to remember that on that day you made a public demonstration of your faith in Christ and of your death to your old life and rebirth to your new life. Be there for your husband, but no need to get baptised again yourself (IMHO).

I'm intrigued about your other comment though... "but sometimes what I have thought has been from God, has not been.. ". How do you know this? I'm struggling with trying to know how to hear God's voice because if the result of a situation that I'm currently in does not turn out the way that I've been hearing during some YEARS of prayer (always the same answer), then I'm going to have to call into question everything that I've believed to be God's answers to prayer. Maybe PM's would be better to discuss this? or maybe we could just toss corked bottles into Lake Michigan with letters in 'em... [​IMG]

3. Emily

Emily New Member

James

Its pretty easy

I was involved with the word-faith movement.. Surely it was not God telling me that the reason I am not stinking rich is because I didnt have the faith for it..

That movement REALLY messed up my mind doctrinally.. there were "signs" I thought were from God, but were most definately NOT..

I cant really think of any examples though..

i think what it boils down to, is that I havent slowed down enough to truly hear the voice of God.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you get baptized, or did you get wet?

There's a difference.

5. Emily

Emily New Member

How do you know the difference?

6. dp

dp Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It all goes the the "heart"... where was your heart when you were baptized/got-wet???

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yup. Did you get baptized because someone told you to? Did you get baptized because someone told you it was necessary for salvation? Or did you get baptized because someone said "hey, we're all doing it"?

Or did you get baptized to place yourself in obedience to God, to put yourself in the like figure of Jesus?

8. Emily

Emily New Member

well.. I guess you could say that since my whole youth group was getting baptised, I probably went with the flow.. but I did know at the time that God commands it after you get saved.

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's where you need to start, Emily. Did you get baptized, or did you go swimming?

Only you can answer that.