1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RE: Government's authority to regulate

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Oct 26, 2006.

?
  1. Require seat belts must be worn in a moving car

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Require helmets must be worn when riding a motorcycle

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. Require helmets must be worn when riding a bicycle

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Helmets or hard hats must be worn when walking or standing on a public street

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Forbid smoking

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Make foods that exceed a certain level of fat illegal

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. Require citizens to do perform a certain level of meaningful exercise daily

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Require immunizations for children regardless of parental wishes

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  9. Regulate the amount of calories that a food service provider may serve any one patron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. None of the above

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By popular demand, this is the redone poll which includes a "None of the above" option, eliminating one other option. [This is a flimsy poll routine compared to what we used to have.] Which of these governmental regulatory functions are a proper role for government?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Someone voted to do something medical to some else's child without parental permission. Now that dangerous territory.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Thanks Alcott!

I got to vote in this one! :laugh: :applause: :tongue3:

Donna: It's always dangerous when the government takes over our personal choices.

GOD didn't even do THAT!

God gave us a free will and the government is slowly, but surely, taking it away.

4. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

How come in some states it is illegal to ride a bike without a helmet...but you can ride a motorcycle at speeds of 70mph or greater without one.
    Yep...that is what happens when the government gets involved!

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, there is a lack of logic and consistency when government assumes its own role to regulate. Besides the bicycle/motorcycle helmet example... bar tobacco smoking in restaurants, but allow burning of incense [which has a carcingoen]... make .08 blood alcohol the legal "under the influence" level, while sleep deprivation for a full day is a greater danger, but no law against driving in that condition... enact high taxes on tabacco and alcohol because of their association with health problems, but no similar taxes on ice cream, french fries, innards, et al, with high sugar, fat, or cholestrol... destroy parental authority to keep children free of medications or injections when their children cannot harm other peoples' children which have had the immunizations.

6. I Am Blessed 24

And...passing no smoking laws for entire states instead of just shutting down the tobacco companies!

7. Soulman

Soulman New Member

The government shouldn't regulate any of the above. Ifpeople were responsible they wouldn't need to. Unfortunately, people need to be told what to do in order to get them to do the right things.:tear:

8. I Am Blessed 24

And the people who lobby for these new regulatory laws are making lots of money...

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Could we include a ban on lobbyists? That might be a proper role for Government! As given, I voted none of the above! Many, if not all, the above are very good ideas; enforcing them by government fiat is a very bad one.

Ed

#9 EdSutton, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  10. I Am Blessed 24

:thumbs: :applause: :thumbs:

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I can see the rationale for schools requiring students to get certain immunizations before allowing them in school.

I don't defend smoking, but I get really angry at attempts to ban smoking in private businesses. This is a nanny-state mentality, and reflects an arrogance, as in "you're too stupid to know what's good for you, so we'll decide for you."

And such attempts are often based on junk science, such as second-hand smoke or global warming studies.

12. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Big brother needs to keep their noses out of our life.
    Faithgirl

13. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree 110%!

"We should be happy we're not getting as much government as we're paying for". Anonymous