1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RE: Positive Sermons....

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by ATeenageChristian, Dec 16, 2001.

1. ATeenageChristian

ATeenageChristian New Member

Any of your pastors give positive sermons? Mine always does. Just curiosity.. [​IMG]

2. uhdum

uhdum New Member

Mine does...there's a way to speak truth and confront sin and hypocrisy without making the person feel like a dog. Our pastor always tries to encourage and show love to the congregation (If you will notice, Jesus did this).

3. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on how you define positive. Sometmes the most positive message you can bring is a negative one. Both types are in Scripture. There are ways to approach things, but it depends on the audience and the subject. Jesus and Paul were easy on normal sinners but wore out the religious dingbats that should have known better and often used rough language on them. Any message that sets your heart right is a positive one even if it takes a negative route to get you there.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Mine does. I think Positive Christianity gets a bum rap. It's too often felt that it positive messages downplay the depravity of man. While I understand the concern, I think the "you're depraved" messages way too often beat a dead horse, and completely downplay Genesis 1, where God created Man and called His creation "very good".

Yeah, we're depraved, but we're also "very good" creations of God. That positive message abounds in Jesus' words, and it should be equally preached from the pulpit.

5. Molly

Molly New Member

Biblical teachings should reprove,correct,ENCOURAGE,and challenge....their should be a balance! God's word is not always a happy message,but building up the body is the goal and should be the result of sound teaching.