1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RE: Touched By An Angel....

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by ATeenageChristian, Nov 10, 2001.

1. ATeenageChristian

ATeenageChristian New Member

I want your opinions on this show. Is it good, bad, ugly, or in between? Remember, they do not once mention Jesus Christ

2. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PrayerWarrior12200222:
    I want your opinions on this show. Is it good, bad, ugly, or in between? Remember, they do not once mention Jesus Christ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very bad. There is no mention of repentance, sin, faith in Christ, and other essentials of the gospel. The message is God loves you, you just don't know it. There is no mention of conversion, or a need for salvation.

Would a show stay on network TV this long if it was convicting to the sinner?

I Cor 1:23 but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness,
    24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

3. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is called the "Water Down Religion." Everybody is ok, for God loves you. They almost project the universal view that every road leads to God - you know what I mean? [​IMG]

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Overall, I like TBAA. I think I've only heard Jeus mentioned by name two or three times in the couple of years I've been watching.

Naturally, while I'm thrilled to hear God and Judeo-Christian values presented positively, I'd like to hear the angels be a little more "specific" in their words about God.

In all fairness, Martha Williamson has stated several times that the purpose of the show isn't to proselytize, but to introduce a post-Christian culture to spiritual issues. In that, she's succeeded.

I've had discussions with co-workers about the show that have turned into great opportunties to share the Gospel.

Mike

5. Kathy

Kathy New Member

I watched one episode and the angel played by Roma Downey was upset because God bestowed the gift of a beautiful voice to a young girl who was bad, mean and nasty (played by Charlotte Church), so the "angel" was jealous and mad at God and ended up at a bar DRUNK! That is when I turned the channel! I will not watch something like that.

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

P.S. Not to mention the fact that it is straight up false doctrine.

6. Bob Landis

Bob Landis New Member

Touched by an Angel is nothing more than touchy-feely ecumenical type theology. There is no salvation dotrine here. It tries to get the viewer to think that if they just think good thoughts and belive in good, you will get to heaven. This kind of stuff is dangerous to the unsaved.

7. JB

JB New Member

Personally from a Biblical standpoint it does nothing for me.

Actually I think I have only seen the program three times. That shows you how much it has impressed me. ;)

But you have to say this much it is better than watching some of these ungodly sitcoms and programs with extreme violence.

I'd rather see my teenager watch touched by an angel than a show like friends or 90210.

So even though as a Christian I don't think the program has much of a message I do think that it is a better choice than alot of other things on TV.

Jane

8. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Hi Jane,

Normally I would most certainly agree with you, but TBAA promotes false doctrine, not sinful behavior. In my opinion, I'd rather have to sit and explain to my child why the girl on that show was not dressed appropriately or acted appropriately, rather than try to UNDO false teachings about God.

Just my opinion.

God bless you!

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

9. JB

JB New Member

Kathy,

Like I said I really had not watched the program too intently.

Thanks for being so informative I had no idea.

Jane

10. Joy

Joy New Member

Touched by and Angel is not a "Christian" show as it has been described as. It is a platform that promotes the worship of angels. It also sends the message that everyone eventually goes to heaven because God loves everybody. Nothing is ever mentioned about repentance from sin and belief in the Savior, Jesus Christ.

There are some very small grains of truth in each episode, that cover up Satan's greater lie.

As far as being "clean" of violence and sex, perhaps. If you like whiny angels who question God's judgement, take matters into their own hands, and frequently use pragmatisim to get what the want, I suppose you could watch it, keeping in mind that it is fantasy and not doctrinally sound in the least.

11. JB

JB New Member

Thanks for the info...

Like I said before I hadn't really watched it. Actually it is rare that I sit down and watch one program.

But I appreciate your input. Personally, I have not seen a progam that had a series on TV that has good doctrine.

Let me know if you know of one.

I appreciate you all....

Jane.

12. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Joy,

I don't know that TBAA has ever claimed to be a "Christian" show. The executive producer (Martha Williamson) and one of the leads (John Dye) are Christian but that hardly makes it "Christian".

I don't think that the show encourages angel worship at all. In fact, the "angel" characters are constantly telling people that they are only there to point to God.

I also disagree that eveyone goes to Heaven on the show.

There are many episodes in which Andrew, with tears in his eyes, tells someone that he isn't taking them to Heaven and that they have to go and face the consequences of the life that they've lived.

Admittedly, this falls short of sound doctrine but it is a good start.

You've got to remember the purpose of the show and it's intended audience.

I don't think that most Christians really realize what a Godsend this show is. Instead of cursing the show, we should find a way to use it as a way to share our faith.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

No Jesus, no repentance, no need for repentance, God is all love, no judgement, wrath of God over sin.
    So it trying to loook like a christian show isn't working.

But as for being clean, that it is.
    I used to watch it, but don't anymore. But I do own a few of the movies.