1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Reaching people for Christ- The Way of the Master with Ray Comfort

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Actually He did. He commanded us to "make disciples" of all nations, which would demand evangelism in the public sphere. This would mean public preaching, public one-to-one, etc. Jesus also specifically commanded door-to-door evangelism, and what He DEMONSTRATED was primarily open air preaching and teaching.

Moreover, we see a biblical principal of "Law to the proud, grace to the humble" that is present in EVERY witnessing encounter in the Bible. There are many "methods" (presentations), but if does not follow that principle, then it is not following the scripture.

To say that this young man is claiming allegiance to a person over Jesus, simply because he is recognizing a book that teaches a BIBLICAL PRINCIPLE, is ridiculous. I guess if I quote a John Piper book that says "Jesus died for sinners" suddenly that teaching is faulty because I read it in a book? Absurd.

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, amen, amen!!! Well said brother and thanks for the defense. The devil will use whatever tactics he can to discourage people from doing Biblical evangelism. He so often uses Christians to do so.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I jumped the gun..

Also David Jeremiah says on page 130 of his book Until Christ Returns the following.

Also on page 127 he says that Christians need to be reaching everyone with the gospel, and he includes the word "communities" in his list of places to evangelize. In various other pages of this book he talks about reaching the lost with the gospel, and he mentions the words "city" & "neighborhood."

So it sure sounds allot like David Jeremiah is encouraging open air and street evangelism. A call to Shadow Mountain Confirmed that they are for street evangelism.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

? Why do you post this? This is a scripture on serving your fellow Christian...one who has not been excommunicated from the fellowship for unrepentant sin or false teaching, in accord with 1 Corinthians 5 and Matthew 18.

That has nothing to do with ANYTHING in this thread. Jesus didn't say "Go around washing unbelievers' feet"...He said wash EACH OTHERS feet (speaking to His disciples...)

AND FYI: I do not take advice from a preacher who LITERALLY wrote a book on eisegesis...

6. quantumfaith

You are a smart guy, I think you can connect some dots. Demonstrates differing "brands" even within "christianity".

7. quantumfaith

So, do you view "foot washing" as somewhat of a sacrament to be performed by "disciples" on other disciples, or is there a lesson on humility and servanthood (toward all) packaged in there?

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It IS a problem since I am on our sailboat and cannot do videos until we get home on Wednesday but I know of a few that I have seen that I can list.

9. quantumfaith

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Not toward all. It is teaching about being a servant to other believers, WITHIN the community of faith (would not apply, at least in this case, to unbelievers or disobedient "christians").

11. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I am afraid I cannot. There are no differing "brands" within Christianity. This is NOT a teaching on evangelism, OR on how one treats an unrepentant brother...so again, no idea how this fits into this thread.

12. quantumfaith

Well I know you will be shocked, but I do not agree with you.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Dave, guess what.....Im not surprised.:smilewinkgrin: In fact, considering your past correspondence ....I am not surprised in the least. :laugh:

your not a hard liner. I am. Thats where we differ. Fairness is one thing, mountbanks are quite another.

14. quantumfaith

Isn't it great to live in the USA and have freedom, and freedom of the will. :)

I am hoping (with anticipation) you mean thus is "good faith" and it is not a "dig".

15. quantumfaith

"not a hard liner", I guess that is a "reasonable" descriptor, although there are somethings I am "hardline" on.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Straight up son :cool:

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

To you, TWOTM is is a "Biblical Principle"- to me, it is just another good method of evangelism.

All I am going to say is- may God bless your methods as he has blessed the ones I use.

18. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The "WOTM METHOD" is the "Good person test." It is indeed a method. "Law to the proud, grace to the humble" is not a "method" but a principle that can be seen in every single witnessing encounter in the Bible. If you do not use the law of God when presenting the gospel to a proud unyielding person, then you are not doing Biblical evangelism, and God will not "bless" your methods.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

You were doing pretty good up until the last couple of sentences.

To say that if people do not follow this method of evangelism every time and God will not bless any other method is foolishness. Especially in the light of the fact that the WOTM method was not formulated by Comfort until the mid-1980's.

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The "Good person test" was formulated by Comfort. Using the law in evangelism goes back to the first century, and is spoken of extensively by the reformers, and even Charles Spurgeon (who said the same thing I did about the law).

Modern methods, which eschew the law, are not biblical, and will result in nothing but false converts. A person MUST recognize their sinfulness in order to be saved. They are either humble and contrite, having already realized their sinfulness, and are ready for the grace of the cross, or they are proud, arrogant, and have NOT realized their sinfulness, and MUST be shown the law of God.

To say that God will bless methods that are not in concert with His Word is foolishness...