1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Read this.. Partial Rapture

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Jun 4, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

An Article I found.... thoughts????

The Mount of Transfiguration is a picture of the partial rapture
    Matthew 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. 17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him. 17:4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. 17:6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid. 17:7 And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid. 17:8 And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only

If you have studied the scriptures for any amount of time, then you have probably come to the conclusion that the bible is full of types and shadows. I believe that this particular passage is one such example. I believe it is a picture of the rapture and who will be taken. Let's examine the passage in-depth.

The above passage begins with Jesus telling His followers that there would be some who would "not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom." Now history tells us that most of the apostles died a martyr's death, and there is no record of anyone being translated like Enoch either. So I think we can safely assume that the mount of transfiguration was this glimpse of the coming kingdom that Christ was referring to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now this is pretty deep, but we are looking at types and figures so I think that's ok. Notice that it says "after six days" that Jesus took Peter, James, and John up to the mountain. I don't believe this is an accident with the wording here. In II Peter chapter 3 and Psalm 90 we read that a day with the Lord is as a thousand years. Hosea 6:2 also further strengthens this theory.

Hosea 6:2 After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight

Now we know that this is not two literal days, because the Jewish people (as a whole) are not in a covenant relationship with the Messiah (Jesus Christ) at this present time. Also, we (the church) have not been raised up to "live in His sight." There have been nearly 6 days (or 6,000 years) of human history recorded, and interestingly enough there have been 2 days (roughly 2,000 years) for the church age. With this thought in mind, the passage in Matthew comes alive.

Literally, after 6 thousand years, Peter, James, and John (a picture of the remnant overcoming church) is taken up to the mountain to be with the LORD. These 3 are always present when Jesus was doing His greatest works on earth, and they are a picture of the godly remnant who walk close with the LORD. Were they without faults? Of course not. But they are a picture of the overcomer. None of us are without fault, but we are always to be striving for the mark and trying to walk as closely as we can to Jesus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note that then Christ was "transfigured" before them. This is no doubt symbolic of our "change" that is coming.

I Cor 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Phillipians 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: 3:21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself

I John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Moses and Elijah
    I think it's very interesting that these two Old Testament men are found on the mount of transfiguration. My speculation is that Moses represents the "dead in Christ", those who have gone on to be with the LORD, and Elijah represents the raptured saints who will not die, but will be changed and caught up to meet the LORD in the air.

I Thes 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

So with Moses and Elijah, we have both groups represented with Christ in the resurrection.

But what about the other 9 disciples/apostles?
    Well, it's interesting that you would mention them. I believe the nine represent those believers who are left behind. I know this might sound shocking. But let's read a little further in the chapter and see how the LORD refers to the group that didn't go up on the mount of transfiguration.

Matthew 17:14 And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying, 17:15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water. 17:16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him. 17:17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me. 17:18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour. 17:19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you

Notice that this group is admonished as being a "faithless" generation and rebuked for their unbelief. The scriptures state that "the just shall live by faith." The Christian's life is a lifestyle of faith, and not just sporadic moments of faith. Remember Enoch? He was raptured (or translated , if you prefer that terminology), and his faith was mentioned as a catalyst. Take a look:

Hebrews 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God. 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him

I know this message isn't popular, but God never called us to win a popularity contest. We must speak the truth in love. Let us walk as closely to the LORD as we can that we may be accounted worthy to escape the terrible tribulation period.

Luke 21:36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The Transfiguration is not a type of a partial rapture. The Transfiguration is the actual event spoken of by Jesus in 16:28, one verse earlier.