1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Read YOUR Geneva

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Today is Thanksgiving.

Read your Geneva Bible today in honor of the Pilgrams!!!!! :D ;) [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    David. I will magnify thee, O Lord: for thou hast exalted me, and hast not made my foe to rejoice over me.

O Lord my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast restored me.

O Lord, thou hast brought up my soul out of the grave: thou hast revived me from them that go down into the pit.

Sing praises unto the Lord, ye his Saints, and give thanks before the remembrance of his Holiness. For he endureth but a while in his anger: but in his favor is life: weeping may abide at evening, but joy cometh in the morning.

And in my prosperity I said, I shall never be moved.

For thou Lord of thy goodness hadst made my mountain to stand strong: but thou didst hide thy face, and I was troubled. Then cried I unto thee, O Lord, and prayed to my Lord. What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? shall the dust give thanks unto thee? or shall it declare thy truth?

Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me: Lord, be thou mine helper. Thou hast turned my mourning into joy: thou hast loosed my sack and girded me with gladness.

Therefore shall my tongue praise thee and not cease: O Lord my God, I will give thanks unto thee forever.

Psalm 30 from the 1599 Geneva Bible

Or, as Coverdale put it:

I will magnify thee, O Lord; for thou hast set me up, and not made my foes to triumph over me. O Lord my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me. Thou, Lord, hast brought my soul out of hell; thou hast kept my life from them that go down to the pit.

Sing praises unto the Lord, O ye saints of his; and give thanks unto him, for a remembrance of his holiness. For his wrath endureth but the twinkling of an eye, and in his pleasure is life; heaviness may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.

And in my prosperity I said, I shall never be removed; thou, Lord, of thy goodness, hast made my hill so strong. Thou didst turn thy face from me, and I was troubled.

Then cried I unto thee, O Lord, and got me to my Lord right humbly. What profit is there in my blood, when I go down into the pit? Shall the dust give thanks unto thee? or shall it declare thy truth? Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me. Lord, be thou my helper.

Thou hast turned my heaviness into joy; thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness. Therefore shall every good man sing of thy praise without ceasing. O my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Thank you, RSR.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    GENEVA IN BOLD/KJV1769 IN ITALIC

I will magnify thee, O Lord: for thou hast exalted me, and hast not made my foe to rejoice over me.

I will extol thee, O LORD; for thou hast lifted me up, and hast not made my foes to rejoice over me.

O Lord, thou hast brought up my soul out of the grave: thou hast revived me from them that go down into the pit.

O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.

Am I the only one to see PLAGIARISM??? Oh, wait, the editors of the AV said they were NOT making a "new" translation, but only "revising" old ones to make them better . .

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

...better or "perfect"? :rolleyes:

7. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Dr. Bob, I'm extremely disappointed in you! Here is a thread which is talking about being thankful and you try to turn it into another KJVO debate. This type of behavior should not be coming from a moderator, of all people!

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right. That's my goal, to disappoint you and continue fighting! (Not really and sorry if it seemed so).

I am pointing out a salient fact from comparing a text written 50 years PRIOR to the AV. It was not a "Debate on the AV" or any such. Just a statement that we ought not to overlook when reading a great translation like the Geneva.

Such was my intent. I am sorry if it looked like I was picking a scab. Trust me, I've been thrilled these past days to NOT see the rancor and division over that issue!

9. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I downloaded the Geneva Bible for my e-Sword so I could do as the threads title says. [​IMG]

10. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Dr. Bob, I am sorry I misinterpreted the intent of your post. Please accept my apology.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I didn't know e-sword had the Geneva. GREAT! They seem to be doing quite a good job. I wish online Bible had the Geneva. I use them both.

12. Keith M

Keith M New Member

The Geneva is available online at StudyLight.org for those who are interested in an online version.

13. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cool site.

There's also a project for the 1599 Geneva with notes at GENEVA BIBLE.

The entire Bible (with modernized spelling) is online, although only six NT books have notes so far.

14. Lawson-

Lawson- New Member

Is this available in print?

15. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but it doesn't come cheap; the lowest price I've seen (for a two-volume edition) is right at $100. Some may be available on the used market.