1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reading John

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Rippon, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just had two young Chinese men over to my place. We had some small talk and then I gave them each a copy of the gospel of John. On one page is the Chinese version, and on the opposite page is the HCSB rendering.

I asked them to read portions of the 1st chapter in English. One is advanced in English. The other one is a beginner --it was the first time he had ever spoken English with a foreigner. But he did alright. After they read their portions I explained things. Then,after that, I asked them to read the same parts in Chinese out loud for greater understanding.

They thanked me and will be coming back they said. We shall see. Prayers needed.

No, they didn't know I would have them read an English Bible out loud. They both have important interviews with native English speakers coming up so I am trying to prepare them. (In more ways than one.)

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We support two missionaries that are in New York City whose primary ministry is teaching conversational English to foreign students.

They introduce them to Christ and the bible through the meetings.

Every once in a while they send a couple into homes to acquaint them with American customs (Christmas and Thanksgiving).

Rob

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

I've got to say sincerely, Rip, good work!

That's what we are called to do, and you fulfilled the meaning of the Great Commission here admirably. :thumbsup:

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just finished an English Corner with about 15 college female students and two female teachers --the few boys that are here don't seem to be interested.

Anyway, after a few activities including singing an old secular song with lyrics, a student had an idea. "Why don't you sing a religious song?" I looked at Grace (one of the two teachers who is a Christian) and sort of asked with my eyes if it was okay. She nodded affirmatively so I began singing Amazing Grace. The words did not have meaning for them --but they were being reverent. I then gave some background information on John Newton. I promised them that next week we would two "religious songs" with lyrics provided. This isn't Saudi Arabia, but I do have to be careful.

At any rate, I was blessed to have sung that for them. (Grace joined in a bit.)It was kind of like singing my testimony. May my opportunities increase.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of curiosity, why China?

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went to an underground church last night. They have a full-time pastor in his 40's. The congregation is composed entirely of university students. It's a shame they don't have several generations there. The pastor is financially supported by other churches because university students are kind of poor. Of course I was the only foreigner there. I was invited of course. I came with several others. I was warmly welcomed though many were very surprised. As a matter of fact they said a little ditty in unison :"We welcome you ____. Jesus loves you. We love you."

When they sang hymns I recognized some of the tunes and sang along softly in English. One sounded very familiar. The words were on the tip of my tongue. About half-way through I was singing Holy,Holy Holy.

In conversations I realized that many are serious about the Bible and Scripture memorization. The youth leader who spoke English rather well initiated a conversation about John Calvin! I said he 'initiated' the conversation. He wanted me to understand his Reformed convictions I guess.

One young man asked if I could have a regular English Bible study with him. I said yes. That was encouraging. I told him we'll do it on the gospel of John. (Keeping to the theme of the OP).

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's awesome Rippon! Our church has had a ministry to Chinese graduate students here in NY and it's been wonderful to see the hand of God in their lives. We had 2 girls stay with us a few years ago for Thanksgiving and it was fun introducing them to the traditions we have. One of the girls got married last year and it was wonderful to be invited to her wedding - a marriage of a believing young Chinese student to another believing Chinese student. :) Both came to the Lord through the ministry of our church. Praise God!

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I just came back here after my latest English Corner. This time I was the only teacher present.

I had 10 sheets printed out with 5 stanzas of "Amazing Grace" and one stanza of "For God So Loved The World."

I had select students read a verse and then I explained what I could. I sang a verse solo and then they joined in when I finished. It was actually quite moving. I had a core group of about 20 or so young women but a stray male or two occasionally dropped in for a bit.

When I asked them to sing Amazing Grace in Chinese they claimed they couldn't --that they just recognized the tune. But they certainly sang with gusto!

We did other activities --but singing was clearly their thing. I also did two secular songs from the golden past.

Pictures are always being taken of me. Hopefully I won't get into trouble for my camp meeting. ;-)

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's interesting :after a student read the phrase "When we've been there ten thousand years" there was laughter from a number of the students. I then explained that 10,000 years is like nothing because eternity in Heaven --is...well... forever.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There has been an increase of English Corner attendees. I had a core group of around 30 and others stayed for some of the time. I went through standard English practice with them for 45 minutes and then did the same two hymns as last time --Amazing Grace and For God So Loved The World.

Some were newcomers when I asked for a show of hands. So I re-explained some important points of both hymns next time.

I introduced the Easter appropriate :Because He Lives. We did the entire song -- several times. I particularly dealt with the empty grave and crossing that river.

I tell you --what a choir! They had so much enthusiasm and sang with such fervor. Grace rejoined for the singing --she was familiar with the hymn --in Chinese only. I asked her to bring Chinese copies of all three hymns next time.

Most have to take a big important exam on Saturday but they came and stayed with me for 90 minutes! I had said any or all were free to go at the hour mark --but they remained and I was sure glad.

It was such a blessed time for me. A handful are Christians. But some of the Gospel is being said and sung. I felt liberty to expound a bit. I trust that the Lord is using these occasions to enlarge His Kingdom.

#10 Rippon, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014