1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Readings from The REB

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just picked up my Revised English Bible on Saturday . I had ordered it a couple of weeks ago . It came out in 1989 . It is a more conservative revision of the NEB . It still is not an Evangelically acceptable translation though . I have my reservations about a number of texts . At times it reads quite well and is as sound as can be , it all depends .

I thought I would list some Brit-speak verses from Proverbs .

6:11,12 -- and poverty will come on you like a footpad , want will assail you like a hardened ruffian . A scoundrel and knave is one who goes around with crooked talk .

7:7 -- and I saw among the simpletons , among the young men there I noticed a lad devoid of all sense .

11:6 -- Uprightness saves the righteous , but the perfidious are trapped by their own lies .

12:9 -- It is better to be modest and earn one's living than to play the grandee on an empty stomach .

17:1 -- Better a dry crust and amity with it than a feast in a house full of strife .

24:23 -- More sayings of the wise : Partiality in dispensing justice is invidious .

30:32 -- If you are churlish and arrogant and given to scheming , hold your tongue .

2. standingfirminChrist

wasn't worth the price ya paid for it.

Trash

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you are going to be banned are you just trying to do your worst now Sinkingfast ?

4. standingfirminChrist

Rippon. it matters not that I am banned. I would rather be banned from here that heaven. The attacks on my character show the master many are serving. and it is not Christ they are serving.

5. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

Your character has not been attacked.

It has been exposed.

6. standingfirminChrist

Yes, Christ in me has been exposed. His glorious light has revealed the darkness of your heart and the poison of your tongue.

7. DesiderioDomini

I truely pray for you. You are so lost its not funny.

Im not talking about your salvation...I dont know anything about it. You are lost in false doctrine, and now that you have been exposed, you are fighting against PEOPLE, rather than that false doctrine.

You can have the last word here too. You desperately need it.

8. standingfirminChrist

last word??

REPENT! YE GENERATION OF VIPERS

9. terriloo

terriloo New Member

OKAYYYYYY! THAT was interesting! This attacking God's Word by professing Christians is truly sad.

That said, Rippon:
    Your OP is one of the reasons I hope that the BV forum stays open. I had never heard of the REB, and find this very fascinating. I have a couple of friends-of-friends who are "very British"; one speaks the "queen's English" and the other is more "cockney", I guess. I've always loved hearing their turns-of-phrase, and enjoy our attempts to understand why/where they originated.
    So these verses from Proverbs are very enlightening and I particularly like the rendition "play the grandee on an empty stomach"! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. standingfirminChrist

yes, it really twists God's Word

11. DesiderioDomini

I have heard of it....but I had never seen it until now.

Its a different dialect there...just like in australia, and they can benefit from updated language.

Any comments on its philosophy, Rippon? Word type or thought type?

Educate us!

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to a leading William Tyndale authority the REB is written in the kind of style of a modern WT. It does take liberties at times though . I will devote some space in the near future posting verses that are not so well done . But there is a lot to commend this translation overall . It is not totally in Brit-speak . Sometimes the renderings are pithy and refreshing . It won't be my new study Bible however . I will soon list some verses that I think are put across in a good way -- in a clear , orthodox manner . I believe that it is good to have a variety of translations to compare with one another . AND , to check with solid Bible commentaries or written sermons on a given text .

13. David J

David J New Member

Can you post some examples where the REB takes liberty in translation. I've never seen this translation.

Thanks

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be a shame to write off this entire translation because of some wrong renderings at times . But since I was asked to post some examples of what I think are some incorrect wordings , here goes .

2 Timothy 3:16 -- All inspired scripture has its use for teaching the truth and refuting error , for reformation of manners and disapline in right living .

1 John 4:4 -- Children , you belong to God's family , and you have the mastery over these false prophets , because God who inspires you is greater than the one who inspires the world .

Revelation 3:5 -- Anyone who is victorious will be robed in white like them , and I shall never strike his name off the roll of the living ; in the presence of my Father and his angels I shall acknowledge him as mine .

Also , in the book of Proverbs the word "clever" is used most of the time instead of the word "wise" . I think clever has the wrong connotation .

But I just got this Bible 5 days ago . Give me some more time to list some other examples of both wrong and better renderings .

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had mentioned that in Rev.3:5 the REB said "roll of the living" which is not nearly as good as "the book of life" . Well , in Revelation 13:8, 17:8 , 20:15, and 21:27 it uses the words "book of life" .

Here are some good passages in counterdistinction to my last post .

2 Peter 3:16 -- He does the same in all his letters , wherever he speaks about this , though they contain some obscure passages , which the ignorant and unstable misinterpret to their own ruin , as they do the other Scriptures .

[ Well , misinterpret may be a little weak. ]

2 Peter 1:16 -- It was not on tales , however cleverly concocted , that we relied when we told you about the power of our Lord Jesus Christ and his coming ; rather with our own eyes we had witnessed his majesty.

2 Peter 1:19 -- All this confirms for us the message of the prophets , to which you will do well to attend ; it will go on shining like a lamp in a murky place , until day breaks and the morning star rises to illuminate your minds .

Hebrews 4:12 -- By this time you ought to be teachers , but instead you need someone to teach you the ABC of God's oracles over again . It comes to this : you need milk instead of solid food .

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some more good ones .

Colossians 2:16-19 -- Allow no one ,therefore , to take you to task about what you eat or drink , or over the observance of festival , new moon , or sabbath . These are no more than a shadow of what was to come ; the reality is Christ's . You are not to be disqualified by the decision of people who go in for self-mortification and angel worship and access to some visionary world . Such people , bursting with the futile conceit of worldly minds , lose hold upon the head ; yet it is from the head that the whole body , with all its joints and ligaments , has its needs supplied , and thus knit together grows according to God's design .

Colossians 2:8 -- Be on your guard ; let no one capture your minds with hollow and delusive speculations , based on traditions of human teaching and centered on the elemental spirits of the universe and not on Christ .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.