1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Readings In The REB

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Inadvertantly he is, due to the fact the wording of Eph 3:10 does exactly that from the REB.

Your suspicious nature is over-riding common sense, again.

The REB impugns itsself.

Rippon needs to present a comparative example, else he IS promoting the REB.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy

1:4 : and devoting themselves to interminable myths and geneologies, which do not further God's plan for us, which works through faith.

1:6,7 : Through lack of these some people have gone astray into a wilderness of words.They set out to be teachers of the law, although they do not understand either the words they use or the subjects about which they are so dogmatic.

1:14 : the grace of our Lord was lavished upon me, along with the faith and love which are ours in Christ Jesus.

3:15 : in case I am delayed, to let you know what is proper conduct in God's household, that is, the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth.

6:4 : is a pompous ignoramus with a morbid enthusiasm for mere speculations and quibbles.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Let me offer this for a starter.
    Yer' both way off! Obviously neither of you have any real concept of "manifold".

[​IMG]

I just purchased this model for one of my tractors. Cost me $137.

Could have been worse, I guess; coulda' been the one for my David Brown 1200. I would also like to replace it, and that will likely cost me closer to seven or eight bills to fix it right.

Oh yeah - "starter"? Could use that, too.

[​IMG]

UM40202 New T0-20, 30, TO35 before SN 161250 starter

Another $250. :tear:

Ed

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I don't believe I am the one with the suspicious nature, here. Incidentally, the KJV rendering including "by the church" in Eph. 3:10 is more suggestive of that of which you are accusing the REB, with the REB wording of "through the church".

The real point is, neither the KJV or the REB either "add to" or "imply" Rome, by definition, except apparently in your suspicious nature.

Aaaaaaaaand (sic) one could even more easily make the argument that the KJV, as the version "authorized to be read" in the "Anglican" church is (an agent of, and) supporting "Anglicanism", just as is the Douai-Rheims (Challoner) was/is "authorized" by (and an agent of) the Roman Catholic church, and supports "Catholicism" in this same verse, by your reasoning.

The REB, as likewise the WYC, Geneva, and Tyndale, by contrast, were never authorized by or an agent of any church organization, and in fact the wording of the Tyndale, in updated spelling, may be found here -

http://tnt.scripturetext.com/ephesians/3.htm

where Eph. 3:10 reads -
    "Congregation", huh? - Now that's Baptist and Congregational teaching! ;)

Ed

P.S. Now we all know, folks! Salamander really secretly supports the "Anglican Church". :laugh: :laugh:

#24 EdSutton, May 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Timothy

2:9 : For preaching this I am exposed to hardship, even to the point of being fettered like a criminal; but the word of God is not fettered.

2:15-18 : Try hard to show yourself worthy of God's approval, as a worker with no cause for shame; keep strictly to the true gospel, avoiding empty and irreligious chatter; those who indulge in it will stray farther into godless ways, and the infection of their teaching will spread like gangrene. Such are Hymenaeus and Philetus; in saying that our resurrection has already taken place they are wide of the truth and undermine people's faith.

3:4 : perfidious, foolhardy, swollen with self-importance. They will love their pleasures more than their God.

3:13 : whereas evildoers and charlatans will progress from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.

4:2,3 : proclaim the message, press it home in season and out of season, use argument, reproof, and appeal, with all the patience that teaching requires. For the time will come when people will not stand sound teaching, but each will follow his own whim and gather a crowd of teachers to tickle his fancy.They will stop their ears to the truth and turn to fables. But you must keep your head whatever happens; put up with hardship, work to spread the gospel, discharge all the duties of your calling.

4:16 : At the first hearing of my case no one came into court to support me; they all left me in the lurch; I pray that it may not be counted against them.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Titus

1:3 : and now in his own good time has openly declared in the proclamation entrusted to me by command of God our Saviour.

1:6 : Are they men of unimpeachable character?Is each the husband of one wife? Are their children believers, not open to the charge of dissipation or indiscipline?

2:13 : looking forward to the happy fulfilment of our hope when the splendour of our great God and Saviour Christ Jesus will appear.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philemon

verse 6 : My prayer is that the faith you hold in common with us may deepen your understanding of all the blessings which belong to us as we are brought closer to Christ.

verse 12 : in sending him back to you I am sending my heart.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews

1:3 : He is the radiance of God's glory, the stamp of God's very being, and he sustains the universe by his word of power. When he had brought about purification from sins, he took his seat at the right hand of God's majesty on high

1:14 : Are they not all ministering spirits sent out in God's service, for the sake of those destined to receive salvation?

4:12 : The word of God is alive and active. It cuts more keenly than any two-edged sword. piercing so deeply that it divides soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it discriminates among the purposes and thoughts of the heart.

5:12 : By this time you ought to be teachers, but instead you need someone to teach you the ABC of God's oracles over again. It comes to this: you need milk instead of solid food.

6:17 : and so, since God desired to show even more clearly to the heirs of his promise how immutable was his purpose, he guaranteed it by an oath.

9:18 : for a testament takes effect only when a death has occurred : it has no force while the testator is still alive.

10:23 : Let us be firm and unswerving in the confession of our hope, for the giver of the promise is to be trusted.

11:23-27 : By faith, when Moses was born, his parents hid him for three months, because they saw what a fine child he was ; they were not intimidated by the king's edict. By faith Moses, when he grew up, refused to be called a son of Pharaoh's daughter, preferring to share hardship with God's people rather than enjoy the transient pleasures of sin. He considered the stigma that rests on God's Anointed greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for his eyes were fixed on the coming reward. By faith he left Egypt, with no fear of the king's anger; for he was resolute, as one who saw the invisible God.

12:1 : With this great cloud of witnesses around us, therefore, we too must throw off every encumbrance and the sin that all too readily restricts us, and run with resolution the race which lies ahead of us.

12:18,19 : It is not to the tangible, blazing fire of Sinai that you have come, with its darkness, gloom, and whirlwind, its trumpet-blast and oracular voice, which the people heard and begged to hear no more

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James

1:6 : But he who asks must ask in faith, with never a doubt in his mind; for the doubter is like a wave of the sea tossed hither and thither by the wind.

1:18 : Of his own choice, he brought us to birth by the word of truth to be a kind of firstfruits of his creation.

2:20 : Do you have to be told, you fool, that faith divorced from action is futile?

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Peter

1:7 : Even gold passes through the assayer's fire, and much more precious than perishable gold is faith which stands the test.These trials come so that your faith may prove itself worthy of all praise, golory, and honour when Jesus Christ is revealed.

1:13 : Your minds must therefore be stripped for action and fully alert. Fix your hopes on the grace which is to be yours when Jesus Christ is revealed.

1:23 : You have been born again, not of mortal but of immortal parentage, through the living and enduring word of God.

4:10 : As good stewards of the varied gifts given you by God, let each use the gift he has received in service to others.

5:8-11 : Be on the alert ! Wake up ! Your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, prowls around looking for someone to devour. Stand up to him, firm in the faith, and remember that your fellow-Christians in this world are going through the same kinds of suffering. After your brief suffering, the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, establish and strengthen you on a firm foundation.All power belongs to him for ever and ever ! Amen.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Peter

1:12,13 : I shall keep reminding you of all this, although you know it and are well grounded in the truth you possess; yet I think it right to keep on reminding you as long as I lodge in this body.

1:16 : It was not on tales, however cleaerly concocted, that we relied when we told you about the power of our Lord Jesus Christ and his coming; rather with our own eyes we had witnessed his majesty.

1:21 : It was not on any human initiative that prophecy came; rather, it was under the compulsion of the Holy Spirit that people spoke as messengers of God.

2:2,3 : They will gain many adherents to their dissolute practices, through whom the way of truth will be brought into disrepute. In their greed for money they will trade on your credulity with sheer fabrications.

2:6,7 : God reduced the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes, condemning them to total ruin as an object-lesson for the ungodly in future days. But he rescued Lot, a good man distressed by the dissolute habits of the lawless society in which he lived.

3:11 : Since the whole universe is to dissolve in this way, think what sort of people you ought to be, what devout and dedicated lives you should live !

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John, 3 John, And Jude

1 John

1:16,17 : Everything in the world, all that panders to the appetites or entices the eyes, all the arrogance based on wealth, these spring not from the Father but from the world. That world with all its allurements is passing away, but those who do God's will remain for ever.

4:13 : This is how we know that we dwell in him and he dwells in us : he has imparted his Spirit to us.

3 John

verse 10 : So when I come, I will draw attention to the things he is doing : he lays nonsensical charges against us; not content with that, he refuses to receive fellow-Christians himself, and interferes with those who would receive them, and tries to expel them from the congregation.

Jude

13: They are wild sea waves, foaming with disgraceful deeds; they are stars that have wandered from their courses, and the place reserved for them is an eternity of blackest darkness.

24,25 : Now to the One who can keep you from falling and set you in the presence of his glory, jubilant and above reproach, to the only God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all time, now, and for evermore. Amen.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revelation

7:9 : After that I looked and saw a vast throng, which no one could count, from all races and tribes, nations and languages, standing before the throne and the Lamb. They were robed in white and had palm branches in their hands

18:6 : Pay her back in her own coin, repay her twice over for her deeds ! Give her a potion twice as strong as the one she mixed !

21:6 : Then he said to me,'It is done ! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give water from the spring of life as a gift.

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

OK, Rippon, "I'm calling you out!"

Based upon your offering of the REB, just what does it mean by
    "those who do God's will remain forever"?

Does this mean they will remain on this earth forever and the world eventually dies?

Maybe you should define in context what the word "abideth" indicates in the realm of "forever"

KJB I John 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I've got it. A throng is one throng! But what in the world is a "vast throng"?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

16. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A "throng" would be at an Ohio State-Michigan football game. But a "vast throng" was in Washington DC to hear Dr. MLK's speech.

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Very good, Roby. Sort of like a Led Zepplin free concert might be viewd.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts

1:18 ( After buying a plot of land with the price of his villainy, this man fell headlong and burst open so that all his entrails spilled out

2:23 : By the deliberate will and plan of God he was given into your power, and you killed him, using heathen men to crucify him.

4:28 : to do all the things which, under your hand and by your decree, were foreordained.

7:43 : No, you carried aloft the shrine of Moloch and the star of the god Rephan, the images which you had made for your adoration. I will banish you beyond Babylon.

7:54 : This touched them on the raw, and they ground their teeth with fury.

16:18 : She did this day after day, until, in exasperation, Paul rounded on the spirit. 'I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her,' he said, and it came out instantly.

17:5 : The Jews in their jealousy recruited some ruffians from the dregs of society to gather a mob. They put the city in an uproar, and made for Jason's house with the intention of bringing Paul and Silas before the town assembly.

24:4,5 : And now, not to take up too much of your time, I crave your indulgence for a brief statement of our case. We have found this man to be a pest, a fomentor of discord among the Jews all over the world, a ringleader of the sectof the Nazarenes.

26:26 : The king is well versed in these matters, and I can speak freely to him. I do not believe that he can be unaware of any of these facts, for this has been no hole-and-corner business.

27:13 : When a southerly breeze sprang up, they thought that their purpose was as good as achieved, and, weighing anchor, they sailed along the coast of Crete hugging the land.

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

The Mooses, Gooses, Elks, and those dudes with the long ponytail and a 1/2 pint in their back pocket verse.

I do suppose that the expression could be understood that Paul was lodged in his body as being stuck inbetween to insurpassable obstacles.

I'd rather think I am present in this body and waitin for the one to come than think God has me stuck/lodged inbetween a rock and a hard place.

It may be understtod by the reader as if Paul would visit everyone of them in a spiritual form to keep reminding them of something rather than our having it already there in written and inspired form in the Bible. I dunno?:godisgood:

20. Salamander

Salamander New Member

When I am "in the raw" ain't nobody touching my raw except I give my wife permission first!:laugh:

Did they first pull their teeth before placing them in the grinder or did they do this like a dentist might?:laugh: