1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Really Bad Fans

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Dr. Bob, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watching Colorado beat up on the evilDodgers while doing therapy tonight. Bradley (LA Right Field) made an error and some quality Dodger faithful started throwing beer bottles at him!

Sadly, Bradley picked up the bottle and took it back to the stands and THREW it at the Dodger faithful! He got ejected, boos and hisses - and this was AT HOME!

Was at Dodger Stadium in July (when Colorado whupped their sorry backs then) and rooted long and loud for the Rockies. Hundreds of Dodger fans all around and we had a lot of good natured banter. Really nice folks. (BTW, was at an Angel game last week and the fans there were BETTER; LA has some loyal folks)

But this was ugly. No chairs thrown, but beer bottles (I hope plastic) are bad enough.

Share experiences??

2. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I attended (should I admit to this?) a NASCAR race at Dover Downs in the early 90's. It was the year that Alan Kulwicki (reigning champ) died in a plane accident. Rusty Wallace had won the race and was doing a "polish" victory lap. We were sitting between turns 1 and 2, and as Rusty came around some fans were actually throwing unopened beer cans at his car as he went by.

I don't know what is more surprising - the throwing of the cans, or the fact that they were unopened.

Hillbillies. You could hear the dueling banjos in the distance.

"betta-bing, bing, bing, bing, bing.... ninga-ning, ning, ning.."

"Watcha wanna do wit him?"
    "Here ... hold that on 'im."

3. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've only been to Dodger Stadium once and the fans were very friendly.

I've been to the new Giants Stadium in San Fran and the fans were on Andruw Jones all day (after his after-hour activities became known), but nothing violent.

I have friends that took off all items relating to their team while in Oakland. Smart, life-saving thing to do.

The WORST fans are the NY (Stinkin') Jet fans.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are there ANY fans in Florida? Seen Marlins games that had 3 people, I'd swear . .

Are they voting with their feet?

5. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that fact that we have a judge onsite to facilitate cases tell you anything about Eagles fans? It's called "Eagles Court."

Now Phillies fans are so much more genteel. :rolleyes:

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So no more snow-balling Santa in Philly? [​IMG]

Rob

7. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I am a huge Dodger Fan. Indeed, I have mailed you a beer bottle Dr. Bob that I hope hurles itself at you when you open the package for even suggesting Dodger fans aren't perfect.

When I was growing up, I lived 17 hours from LA, so only made it to Dodgers stadium once (now I live in Texas). Fans there seemed nice. But we went to SF all the time, either to watch Giants play the Dodgers or the A's play. Fans there are either drunk or worse, and I can relate to the story given before, don't wear opposing (or any alternate) uniform to an Oakland game.

8. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Ah... The good ol' days. 700 level... throwing chicken bones at the Dallas fans... watching the drunks fall down the steps... yeah, good times at the Vet. Now we have new memories to look forward to at Lincoln Financial Field.

[​IMG] GO EAGLES!

9. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

BTW, the Dodgers won this game in the bottom of the ninth. [​IMG]

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Ah... The good ol' days. 700 level... throwing chicken bones at the Dallas fans... watching the drunks fall down the steps... yeah, good times at the Vet. Now we have new memories to look forward to at Lincoln Financial Field.

[​IMG] GO EAGLES!
    </font>[/QUOTE]Don't forget Fast Eddie Rendell nailing Jimmy Johnson in right in the head with an iceball.

Probably the only thing he ever did that I agreed with.

Just to tell you folks from outside the Delaware Valley how bad the fans in the 700 level were, to this day, when Philly cops have somebody who was drunk and completely out of control, they would say "he's 700 level".

When I was a paramedic I used to cringe when I heard that.

While we're here, can I take a moment to correct a popular urban myth about Philly fans?

It's often said that Philly fans booed Santa Claus. Not true.

They were booing the guy playing Santa Claus because he was falling down drunk and, evidently, the drunken fans took exception to a portrayal of a drunken Santa Claus.

There's a great book out called "The Great Philadelphia Sports Fan Book" that talks about this in great detail.

Incidentally, this was the same infamous game where Pete Rozelle sent a bottle of scotch to Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford and Don Meredith in the booth and the rest of that story is, as they say, history.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, the Dodgers won this game in the bottom of the ninth. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Most dismal performance of a relief pitcher of the year. Walk four straight and lose game!

But Colorado did the same right back at the evilDodgers in the next game!

And today? Dodgers came from behind and beat Colorado.

Oh, the humanity . . .