1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Reasoning with Catholics

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church of romes holds with and teaches another Gospel, for if they really held to pauline Justification, then their use of the sacraments would be made null and void!

And they "love" Nt Wright teachings on this issue, as he seems to be able to take their viewpointd on justification and repackage it in a fashion that many baptists will accept it now as being true...

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Catholics have gotten very apologetic lately. They probably seen him as a light workout.

3. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Evan, maybe now you'll listen to others who talk about being discipled. You made an arrogant statement before of how the HS would give you what to say. Obviously He didn't in this case, as you admit to not being prepared.

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Calvinist and I hold to the sovereignty of God in salvation. God will draw his elect to faith and grant them faith and repentance. I speak like Paul who said this.

That said all I can do is preach and all God can do is win souls and maybe use me to draw some elect to faith.

Most on this board need to read the book Chosen by God by RC Sproul and look up the dozens of scriptures he cites in the book for the sovereignty of God in salvation. Go ahead and check out the verses but the theology is taught all over the NT.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sproal is a preterist I would not read his laundry list. Second, it takes great hutzpa to tell most on this board they need to read something especially when you show such a massive need to be discipled.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Practice makes perfect. My first open air sermon was not the best neither and as I recall it took me a while to start preaching. I also did not do street evangelism at first neither. If there was a good Calvinist/Reformed brother to give me insight I would take it, and I would not listen to the mass non-Calvinist that dominate this board and my church. So since God has not provided one, I will use what he has provided and that is his bible, books, and sermon podcasts.

Actually I spoke with a fellow Calvinist evangelist and he encouraged me to keep doing what I am doing so not sure why the non-Calvinist on this board do not like my approach.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love RC!!!! I disagree with his eschatology but his books are awesome. He also endorsed the fire and brimstone approach in evangelism and I get much insight from him. He provides a great healthy meal of theology. I have about 5 of his books, his DVD series, and a book on CD.

Regarding evangelism it was RC that said we should use fire and brimstone, preach on Hell, and such with unbelievers. But regardless it was Jesus who said it first!!! You non-Calvinist need to read the Bible a little closer.

#27 evangelist6589, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
  8. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No what people NEED to read is the Bible. Sola Scriptua.

I don't see anyone on here arguing against God's Sovereignty but you seem to pull that out any time someone disagrees with you and of course tell us what the latest BOOK is which of course is never the Bible.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is obvious as the two of you are on a first name (or initial) basis. :smilewinkgrin:

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus ONLY used that kind of approach though to blast off on the self rightous Pharisses and Scribes, but to the "common sinner", he said to thm, "come unto me, all of you who are heavy ladem , and I will give you rest"

just cannot find Biblical support to have fire and brimstone approach to all lost persons!

And one can preach the Gospel and have theLord used that to save sinners, regardless if they are cal or not, correct?

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a calvinist, but unlike our brother in the Lord, do see Non cals having taught and preached Jesus to the Lost effectively, and for one holding to scriptures alone as ONLY inspired source to get doctrines from, he does seem to be quoting and using other sources quite a lot!

12. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

As any music teacher will tell you, practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes permanent. If you practice the piano incorrectly, you will forever after play it incorrectly.

This is why I say you need someone to disciple you. Your heart is in the right place but your inexperience is getting in the way. Without a teacher you will be stuck with however you practice.