1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reasons for marriage

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gina B, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Why did you marry your spouse?
    Would you consider it wrong to marry someone you didn't know very well, or that you didn't "love"? Would it be wrong to marry because it would be beneficial to you...ie loneliness, you need a wife to help out around the house, you need the financial benefit, or you need a father/mother for your children?
    Gina

2. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

People should marry if necessary to avoid fornication:

1Corinthians 7:2
    Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

But otherwise they should remain celibate:

1 Corinthians 7
    6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. 7 For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. 8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. 9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Assuming one NEEDS to marry, then....

Would you consider it wrong to marry someone you didn't know very well,

No, if you had good reasons for thinking it was a good match, e.g. your godly and wise parents' recommendation.

or that you didn't "love"?

No.

Would it be wrong to marry because it would be beneficial to you...ie loneliness, you need a wife to help out around the house,

No.

Genesis 2:18
    And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

you need the financial benefit, or you need a father/mother for your children?

No.

3. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

I don't have much to say about the subject I must say this:

Marriage is one of the few things that God has ordained for all men, whether they follow him or not.
    Therefore, it is important to him and should be the most important thing in our life (if you are married).

Against what most people believe and teach today, love is a choice not something that happenes by chance. Love is very important in marriage. You can fall out of love just as easily as you fell in love, therefore you should keep close to your spouse and do all you can to keep your spouse your "sweetheart."

[​IMG]

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

We love who we decide to love. "Falling in love" is feelings and feelings can change.

Love is also not something you 'fall in and out of'. It is not like turning a faucet off and on. If the commitment is there, and God is in the center, the love will stay.

Once we declare, in our hearts, that we are going to love someone, we will; whether they love us back or not.