1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ReBaptism and Private Prayer Language

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jimmy C, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I'd hardly call a handful of private bloggers as the SBC. The OP says this is "rocking the SBC". meanwhile, all the SBC people I know are looking at each other asking us where the rocking is. </font>[/QUOTE]Agree -- our pastor is on the board of the BGCO and I mentioned this to him. He said, naaaahhhh.

2. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

You got me, I took a bit of personal lisence - but I think the issue will be big at the IMB trustee meeting in January - and I think will be controversial. I predict that you will not hear much about it in Baptist Press, but that Jerry Rankin will "step down" soon, much like many of the "resignations" that have taken place at SWTS over the past three years or so.

One thing about this that we have not seen before is conservative trustees going public with gripes. They typically have been taken aside in private and told how they must vote and kept quite about it.

3. Lamin Dibba

Lamin Dibba New Member

Dear Christians Friends,

I'm sorry to disabuse you of the notion that these decisions by the trustees of the IMB were not covered in Baptist Press, but they were. They were also covered in the Associated Baptist Press, an arm of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. Information about these decisions were available to those to pay attention to actions taken by denominational bodies.

By the way, I really don't know what the people on this Board who are not SBC are complaining about. The trustees of the IMB were put in place by the messengers of the SBC to operate "in trust" the IMB. If you don't belong to an SBC church, if you don't give to the Cooparative Program or to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering, I really don't see why you would care what the IMB trustees do. I am a member of an SBC church, I do give to the Cooperative Program and Lottie Moon, and I am a former SBC foreign missionary. I don't see an issue here. The trustees are just trying to ensure that our mission funds are being spent on people who have the same kinds of beliefs as do most people in the SBC. I would expect them to do no less, even if I might not be as worried about these issues as the trustees are.

In addition, I don't see Jerry Rankin going anywhere soon. There are no signs that the trustees have lost any confidence in him . . . he's in the saddle until he retires.

In short, this is a nonissue.

Merry Christmas,

LD

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I'd hardly call a handful of private bloggers as the SBC. The OP says this is "rocking the SBC". meanwhile, all the SBC people I know are looking at each other asking us where the rocking is. </font>[/QUOTE]I agree with John. A few private blogs is not the "SBC" being rocked.

5. PastorSBC1303

Oh really?

Here is the Baptist Press article from their archives on it:

http://www.baptistpress.org/bpnews.asp?ID=22133

6. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I'd hardly call a handful of private bloggers as the SBC. The OP says this is "rocking the SBC". meanwhile, all the SBC people I know are looking at each other asking us where the rocking is. </font>[/QUOTE]I agree with John. A few private blogs is not the "SBC" being rocked. </font>[/QUOTE]I agree with JohnV and PastorSBC. I've been a member of a SBC for 11 years and a SBC monister for 6. My church is very involved in our local association and I've heard nothing of the "rocking" the OP speaks of.

The link PastorSBC posted above is pretty clear of the board's position.

7. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The BP article would have you to believe that the trustees were solidly in agreement with the policy. GP posted an artilce on another thread that showed the vote to be much closer. BP will never again publish any article that might be construed as negative by the Executive Commitee, they are simply the publicity arm of the executive committee.

I will say again, when you have current conservative trustess going off the reservation, and writing public blogs that there is an issue. What we are seeing is unprecedented since the conservatvie "resurgence". The leaders up to now have been able to keep any dissent quiet. When Ken Hemphill "resigned" at full pay for a year so that PP could be president at SWBTS - he had a strong contingent of trustees that wanted him to stay, but not a word was said in public by those trustees.

If you have not read those blogs, go back and read them - Wade Burleson talks about meetings that take place with new IMB trustees that are supposed to keep them in line and vote correctly. Another board member talks about how this was them most politically charged board in thier memory at the IMB.

this is the tip of the iceberg.

By the way Lamin - our Church gives 11% of our nondesignated offerings to the CP, I wrote our check for the Lottie Moon offering last week. Our medium sized church gives a significant amount to the Lottie Moon offering every year.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm not in complete agreement with the IMB's stance on baptism. That's because they didn't go far enough. All the IMB has to do is to require baptism by a Southern Baptist congregation, or a church of like faith and order. I've seen the doctrinal statements of some non-Baptist congregations which are Baptist in every way but name, and I'd accept their baptism in a heartbeat.
    That the IMB stance is controversial can be laid directly at the feet of those local churches who accept alien baptism. Once they've let down the bar on baptism, all sorts of mischief follows.

9. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

By the way JohnV - do you remember who brought the Clinton mess to light - a blogger named Matt Drudge - the mainstream press would not cover that story at first either

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'd hardly compare Matt Drudge to the aforementioned bloggers. That's like comparing my own personal blog to the AP.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just wait and see if the he doesn't step down and then declare God has given him a new ministry just like Hemphill did at SWBTS.

12. PastorSBC1303

First, Baptist Press had no article according to you...then they had an article, but it just didn't say things the way you wanted it.

Now, these private bloggers are the equivalent of Matt Drudge :rolleyes:

I think you just enjoy stirring stuff up because things are not going the way you would like them to go.

13. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I did not say that BP had not covered the changes made by the IMB trustees - but that they we not covering the fact that several of the trustees had a big problem with the changes. BP covered the basics of the story and dropped it. These private bloggers, all respected, conservative pastors who have been tapped as leaders by the SBC, are concerned enough about the situation that they are risking ever having a leadership position again in the SBC. Are they equivilent to Drudge, no. They are vastly superior to him. They are EYE WITNESSES to what is happening at the IMB trustee meetings. I will take thier word over his any day.

PastorSBC, what I dont like is the politics in the SBC and now evidently the IMB. I dont like the caucus meetings telling people how they have to vote. Once again dont take my word for it, read the blogs from the eye witnesses.

I love the SBC or I would not be a member of an SBC church. I Love the CP and think that it is the best mission sending organization going.

I personally am ambivilent about Jerry Rankin, but I dont think that he should be forced out the way that I have heard that he will be. Who knows perhaps Patterson will want to go over there, the Ft Worth media doesnt cover him they way he was used to being covered at SEBTS - hes probably ready to go - and he is very committed to missions

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Sadly, politics will occur everywhere and in every organization on this Earth to one level or another. As long as humans are involved, politics will also occur. We are not perfect and therefore, neither are our churches. This is NOT to cut down churches, but to face reality that we are dealing with humans with their flaws. No human, but Jesus is or ever will be perfect (at least not on THIS earth).

15. PastorSBC1303

Ok my mistake, I must have misunderstood what you meant. However, the SBC is a large body of people, is the Baptist Press supposed to print an article everytime a conservative pastor is upset about something?

They are more than welcome to be upset. But the fact remains that just because a few private bloggers are upset does not mean that the entire "SBC" is rocked, as you stated. I would venture to say that many decisions that are made at a convention level upset a few pastors and people in the pews. That is part of everyone having an opinion and a right to voice that opinion.

16. PastorSBC1303

I am not a big fan of the politics either. But as Phillip stated politics are going to occur anytime there are people involved. What I find is that many people are not upset at "politics" but that the politics are not going the way they would like them to go.

We agree here. Yet I find it odd that you state your love for the SBC and the only time I recall you sharing anything on these boards it is all negative. We are all welcome to share our concerns and negative views of the SBC, but when it is all one-sided you begin to wonder.

17. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I think it is an issue that is going to get bigger in 2006.

1. The Rebaptism issue would seem logical if it was the ABA or another Landmark group but the SBC is not Landmark in ideology.

2. The Private Prayer language issue is confusing. No one who openly practices Charismatic speaking in tongues in public is allowed on the mission field is my understanding already. The Private Prayer language is much debated and seems to deal with one's private personal beliefs on prayer. Will someone who prays with a Cross, Icon etc.. in private devotion we disqualified next? I am confused on this Private Prayer language issue.

The BF@M 2000 should be used as the source of qualified and non qualified and I will be more comfortable.

18. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Can someone please describe this private prayer language. Is this a thinly disguised version of modern charismatic tongues, or is it something else.

I know the Bible indicates that God hears the groanings of the heart and understands what we are thinking without words, but I have a feeling there is more to this issue.

The rebaptism issue is (to me) a little less of a problem if it is used for Baptism in organizations that are theologically different. (Especially on issues of salvation).

Thoughts?

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Having the horoscope published in a SBC university is not about politics but about Satan.

Having pictures posted of big money givers is not about politics but about honoring the big money givers.

Having the nickels and noses of each church posted in the Baptist Standard is not about politics but about a manipulation to "encourage" people to give.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Consider the books of the prophets.