1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reccomendations> Graduate studies

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Havensdad, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Yes. It is currently at the top of my list> There language requirement for entrance is an extremely high bar though: 9 hours in Greek and Hebrew both, for the STM. Currently, I have only 3 hours in Greek, so I will have some catching up to do.

I was thinking of doing some language classes from NOBTS anyway, though, so this would work out.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==That sounds great. I was just curious. :thumbs:

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Here is a question though: There was a time, I know, when Liberty was looked down on as kind of "Second Rate" (at least from the older folks I have talked to), in some circles. Is this a thing of the past?

Certainly from looking at THEIR entrance requirements, compared to the "big six", it is actually MORE strict: the only difference being the unreasonable requirement of RA (or ATS) by the all but one of the Big six schools. In fact, other than Liberty taking any recognized accreditation (rightly so, IMHO), Liberty seems to have one of the strictest entrance requirements for any ThM/STM that I have seen.

What think you?

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think so. My M.A. from Liberty has opened doors for me in secular higher education. Nobody questions it at all. In fact I keep running into people who tell me their children or grandchildren are attending Liberty University. It seems to be a popular school (in N.C. anyway). I would not worry about Liberty's reputation, in my experience it is solid.

==That would not surprise me. After all Jerry Falwell was not one to be second best :laugh: . A ThM or STM from Liberty University should open many doors for you. You could even enter Liberty's PhD program or a simular program.

5. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

I know several seminaries have on the ground language classes in Greater Houston if you are looking to beef up the language transcripts. DTS' campus is next to the College of Biblical Studies just off the Southwest Freeway inside the Beltway.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I thought about it: but the NOBTS classes are much less expensive. In fact, the cooperative program makes them one of the cheapest seminaries out there for anyone, like myself, who is SBC.

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello HD!!

HD,

I was wondering, have I missed it in the mix, what is your long term goal?

Why the ThM or MST? Is it just for the education? You could probably find a PhD or "older model" ThD program and save the time, effort, and money by going straight to the heart of the matter. If your MDiv is weak in say the languages then you could use it "to get up to speed."

I have known of situations where people, where the institution had both the MTh, ThM, or MST, were asked (or told) to get the intermediate Master's so they could get into the PhD program. I have also known of people "who busted out of the PhD" and were awarded the ThM sorta kinda as a conciliation prize b/c they could not or did not do the work.

Please forgive if I have missed your stated goals in the flow of the conversations.

My two cents worth (in the form of a question).:thumbsup:

"That is all!"

#27 Rhetorician, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008
  8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I could state the reasons, but at least one of them would start an argument here. Let's just state that the ThM or MST would help me reach my long term goals.

9. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    HD Encouragement!

HD,

I would say first off, that you need to define and refine what the long-term goal is and then get there the best way you can. In the mix you will have to consider gifts, calling, desire, family issues, educational background, finances and other such matters.

As to starting an argument here that is your call and your choice by all means!!!:thumbs:

But as one who has two advanced degrees from institutions which some would say are Liberal and some would say are even cultic ((Doctor of Ministry from The University of the South's (Sewanee) School of Theology and a Master of Arts in Religion from Harding University's Grad School of Religion which is Church(es) of Christ)), I would say to "go for it" wherever and whenever the Lord leads.

I, for one, will not look down on you in the least. Nor would I cause an argument or cast any other negative attitude. Just be "God's Man" and go with "God's Plan" and let Him take care of the rest.

I am praying for you as I type this. Don't worry about the opinions of the other so called "brethren."

I bid you God Speed and if you want to talk off line send me an email or PM.

"That is all!"