1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Recession? Really?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree with your post. Buying of Christmas gifts is neither good nor evil. Frankly, I have your attitude. I could care less what a poster on this board, or for that matter a member of our local church thinks about what I do or do not do in daily life. Everyone has the Holy Spirit as his or her guide that is Christian, knows what is right or wrong, and the last thing needed is a group of Pharisees telling what is right or wrong.

It is the attitude of shopping that would make it godless, worshiping or adoring the presents and Christmas trappings over the Lord. In your case, I am sure that is not the case, as you seem very Christ like in your posts.

I would do what you do in everyday life, and hold your head high.

For those who do not think the recession is not here, or is not getting worse by the day, consider this. Common sense (yeah, you remember) says that the first thing people are going to buy for Christmas is toys for their kids, and probably at WalMart. If something has to be sacrificed, it will be gifts among adults.

Reread LeBuicks post. It paints a good picture. For those in ministry, especially in well to do communities, it may not be affecting you now, but let the recession get worse. When income goes, so does offerings, then you will believe there is a recession.

2. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

From this:
    Sad that others selfish greed and desire to be first cost a young man his life.
    Wonder if any in that crowd will remember him and his family come Christmas time?

Materialism rules in a world filled with pagans: And, unfortunately, I'm not that certain that paganized celebrations have really benefited the preaching of the gospel.

To this:

Completely agree!
    Who called you godless, worshipping a false god, or pagan?
    I don't see where anyone named you in their thread, nor anyone else, for that matter.
    (And you hadn't even posted to this before my comment so its disconcerting to me how it is you take personally that you are attacked.)

Who is 'you' that you speak of and accuse?

Who here has bashed you or anyone just for buying Christmas gifts?

No one posted against doing that nor against trying to get a bargain.

(Just like you take my post personally and target words out of context with the whole of my post....... it would be hurtful and unkind and wrong for me to address your post as though its a statement that you approve of killing people in a rush to shop because you haven't voiced concern over this death in addressing me, and that death in the context of my post.)

So what if I did post to the mentality of a mob which charges a door to a shopping center to run over and stomp to death a person just for the sake of getting a bargain. Specifically I said, "Sad that others selfish greed and desire to be first cost a young man his life. Wonder if any in that crowd will remember him and his family come Christmas time?"

What do you think caused the rush which took this young mans life?
    As Rev' implies, does a murderous rush to shop sound like a recession? It doesn't to me... but it does sound like a lot of things.

What's the difference between calling someone 'godless' and calling someone 'pagan' ?
    ...... except no ONE person....
    and certainly no one on this forum was called pagan.

A new paragraph read "Materialism rules in a world filled with pagans: And, unfortunately, I'm not that certain that paganized celebrations have really benefited the preaching of the gospel. Yes..... every pagan should be offended, DonnA, ....not you if you are not one. Before I was saved.... I was a pagan and didn't know it, and as such, it took becoming offended at what I found in my hopeless condition to recognize my need for the Savior.

Perhaps you see the world as being mostly Christian.
    I don't.
    I agree with the Scriptures that broad is the path which leads to destruction and many follow, but narrow is the path which leads to life everlasting and few find it.

Therefore I will not change my statement 'the world filled with pagans', or perhaps a better term is heatherns.
    (Once again.... not everyone that 'acknowledges' the God of the Bible submits to his authority.... and those who don't, do submit to the authority of another by their own denial of God's authority, hence I call them 'pagans' or 'heatherns'. It's not a 'pc' term.... and I don't buy into being politically correct always and, in this case, I meant it as a strong rebuke for what I see in this world... after all, I am posting to Christians.. and targeting "pagans' is only incidental.... can we agree or understand each other?)

In the Western world, the judgement of many is ruled or guided by their pocketbook or economy or, in other words, "materialism'. (As for opining my concern that Christmas is more 'pagan' than "Christian" in the ways the world celebrates the season is a topic for another thread. I am not condemning Christians for buying gifts or celebrating the season. The scriptures say 'let no man judge you'...... What we do, we do before the LORD always.)

So in a concerned attempt to return this post to the topic...... A 'recession' where consumers are strapped for cash appears (on the surface at least) to be contradicted by the behavior of folks rushing to spend money. That they're willing to kill for a bargain maybe because they are strapped for cash.... but it looks to me like the problem is deeper than economy ..... its reflective of a spiritual condition of not honoring God nor valueing life.

[off topic completely........personal]
    Frankly, it doesn't make me feel good.
    It makes me feel sick when two sisters in Christ cannot deal fairly with each other.

You hurt me in the past and I revenged in the open forum. And, honestly, I cannot blame you now because I then leveled some very unkind and rudeful things at you in the open forum which have been my regret ever since.

I've sent you two pm's....possibly too recent for you to pick up: One addresses your post in this column, and in one I asked for your forgiveness for the past offense.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Wow, great post... :thumbs:

Really great analogy...

For the length of our marriage, my wife and I give the money we would spend on each others gift to a Catholic group that buys gifts for needy children. I then have to go by my wife a gift because as all you fella's know, you can't not buy her something from Christmas. :laugh: :wavey:

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thank you, very good advice.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

From one of the many thread on this same topic,

linked news story about shopping on black friday. Therefore the people shopping on black friday are godless.
    my response befroe the thread was locked because there are several on this topic.
    I'm materalistic if I shop on black friday, not to mention pagan.
    Thread also locked because there are several.

From this thread,
    Thread topic, shopping at wal mart on black friday and a few unfortunate incidences. So one could read this as those who shopped on black friday ar worshipping the false god of materialism.

Again, thread topic shopping wal mart on black friday, and those who did are materialistic and pagan.

People who shopped black friday were, and if soemone on this forum shopped black friday it applies to them also.

I don't read most Pms, unless they're from someone in the womens private forum, I do not wish to read insults and junk people( I stopped reading PMs a few years ago for this very reason, I recieved some really nasty stuff) are affraid to post in the open so others won't know who they really are, that way they get to hide.

Easy to say when you can afford the best stuff, but when you can't you have to settle. At the very least I can say, an item doesn't have to cost a lot and be top of the line to satify us, we do not require what we can not afford, just because others can. According to this poster, if you shop wal mart your less of a person, less of a christian, and far below him.
    But thank you for bashing us anyway.
    most people knew what the sales were before going.
    Really? My rival crock pot cost $20. at walmsrt, same rival crock pot is $39. elsewhere. What makes it a better crockpot if I paid $39. instead of $20. for it? Please explain.
    It's the same rival crockpot anyother store sells. if it's bad quality for $20. it's bad quality for $39. I would say that by paying on $20. for it, I got the better deal, same crockpot, isn't going to be better or last long if I paid z439. not to mention, a wiser use of money, I didn't waste anything, if I'd paid the $39. at another store I would have wasted, and thats nto wise.
    top of the line merchandise costs a lot more, more then most people have. They are forced to buy the cheaper brands if they need the item, then they need it.
    I will say also, my cheap $20. crockpot last 6 years and we replaced it with the same crockpot and have had it about 5 years. Not bad for only $20.

Someone is trampled to death every year at wal mart? I'm sire there are links to news stories about someone being trampled to death every year at wal mart.
    What anyone elses personal finances are like is not up to you to decide.

makes it sound like it was a plan,, someone did it on purpose, it would have to be for the word 'willing' to be used here.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Again Donna, I shop at Walmart but was being realistic about the merchandise.

You still bought a $20 Crockpot, other just paid $39 for it. The price doesn't determine the quality of a product. If one store can turn a profit selling them at $20 then you know the pot cost less than $20 to produce...

7. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

[off topic]
    You can always forward pms you question, on to administration or a mod.... did you know this? Of course the time to do it is shortly after receiving it because, verification with the original party may be impossible if messages have been changed.

Hmmmmmm....... You don't read personal messages, and you don't send personal mesages.

So, in other words...... you cut other members off from any communicatio with you except by posting in threads.......

So you post to threads your personal messages to others, and do not receive personal messages unless its posted in an open thread.

So, by your rules,
    .......one can make a loose association and falsely charge another poster for breaking some rule or pretense at be attacked....name calling usually works good
    ... but the only response they can give is in the thread containing your accusation
    ... so to answer the charge they must post to the thread which is now off topic
    .. which not only posts an answer....
    ... but adds to the entertainment of having other poster's angered that a post went off topic.

Thankyou for explaining your special rules for responding to your post... and the pitfalls of responding to them. No wonder so many endorse you. It's the only way of carrying on the discussion

#27 windcatcher, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2008
  8. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Regarding the 'recession'....... I think it is very real and well on its way.

I think also that trying to stop it is nonsense. Nor is it wise putting off some current opportunity for being together with family and friends and enjoying and sharing hospitality. The things which seem convenient today may no longer be possible or easy tomorrow. All living is done in the present.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thats what I've been saying, price doesn't determine quality. Now if I had money to waste, I'd have all kitchenaid appliances, lasts a long time, best quality. But who can afford $100. for a crockpot.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've been here for 8 years, yes, I know this. But I also know it doesn't often do much good either.

Rarely, and mostly in response to those few trusted BBers who I do read their PMs.

I have every right to read or not read any PM I see fit. There are no rules saying we must read or even respond to any PM at all.
    Your the one pressing an off topic conversation in this thread.

I ahve the right to communicate or not with anyone on this board, and I choose not, because I am not reading PMs that are of the quality of your current post here.

I do not post PMs in public messages.
    The fact it is open, and public means it is not, by defination, a PM (PRIVATE MESSAGE).
    say or think whatever pleases you, doesn't bother me a bit.
    Now do you think we could stick to the topic.

11. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just for the record, my sharp comments in the thread I started was due in part to my anger and disgust that such a thing could happen, and I did not intend to offend anyone on BB by them. And I am somewhat taken back that offended persons took it personaly, and furthermore did not join me in my angst over such behavior as the murder of an innocent man by a hysterical mob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.