1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Recipe for domestic violence among Christians

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by moondg, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

I can not prove he is not anymore than you can prove he is. I think I said only God knows our hearts. Do you take the Lords name in vain or do you just use words that society claims to be curse words. If you curse. What does your actions say to other people? Are you saved or not. I do not know your heart. Are your actions Christ like? Would you think people that are lost would think you were saved? I am not saying Christians do not sin. I sin everyday but I do not do what I did before I was saved. Christian or not I dont believe a person should stay in a abusive relationship.

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

You are correct here, has the meaning of words changed from yesterday to today? To many women I meet today being submissive to a husband would be abusive, to many men don't treat their wives as Christ treats the Church.

In our town, most abuse cases, that I have read about in the paper come after an adulterous relationship, but two wrongs don't make a right and I believe adulterous relationships is abusive too.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I am not doubting that adultery plays a roll in abusive relationships. But I know several women who have husbands that I believe are at minimum mentally and emotionally abusive, and at times have been physically abusive. And adultery doesn't play a role in the relationship.

My opinion? Who needs it??

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Now, lack of trust might.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

In my 60+ years I have never seen an abusive relationship but have heard about 4 or 5 among friend or churches that I've pastored. There could have been more, I read of many in the newspaper but I didn't know the people, so there were more. As near as this came to home was with my daughter about 20 years ago she called crying about here husband being abusive. When we got to the bottom of it, he wasn't, he just lived by a good budget and paid cash for everything but for their home, my daughter could keep a Sears card and other store cards to the max, he wasn't going for that. I had to tell him I guess it was my fault, if I didn't teach her how to manage money.

I have a grand daughter (my son's and daughter in laws' daughter) that I'm sure it would be abusive in her mind to tell her no, I don't mean to say this to be funny but how many women as well as men don't understand God's order for the family? We are taught in school everything different from the Christian Worldview. For a women to do as the Scripture tell her, isn't to be a doormat, but there is an order and there is a way the man is to treat his wife and family.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have to step aside here and agree that in the "abusive" situations, there is a lot more going on than the "abuse." I will agree that there are financial issues, (One case in point is that the woman is trying to live within a budget but the man does not,) Other issues include raising children.

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't know the cases you are talking about but with me, ever what my problems have been, most were when I was not living to the glory of God or in fellowship with Him. I might be putting my foot in my mouth but someone isn't living to the glory of God and are not in fellowship with Him. The man if he isn't on a budget is living to the glory of God, and on the children if both teaching them sound doctrine and discipline one or the other have a problem.

So much can be missed buy knowing who you are marrying.

8. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

No problem, most miss mine as well.

9. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Actually, I don't curse, it was just a random example.

I do what I did before I was saved all the time. I shower, I eat (sometimes overeating), I nap (sometimes oversleeping), I drive my car (sometimes too fast), I go to work, etc.

The FACT is, Christian men can and do abuse their wives. I in no way condone this, nor does our Lord, but it is a truth. A Christian is still in a sinful body.

10. Jules80

Jules80 New Member

This is very shocking news...I pray for those in distress and like situations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.