1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Recognizing Graduates

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by SaggyWoman, Jun 5, 2010.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Does your church recognize graduates? How? Why or why not?

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Yes...in fact this Sunday 6/6/10 is when we plan to do this.

I guess there are several reasons why we recognize graduates, be they HS or college or other schools.

One reason is because we have our own Christian school right here on campus. Of course not all of our graduates attend worship services at our particular church, but we'll welcome them if they choose to attend.

Graduation(s) are important milestones in a person's life. They've studied and have met the course requirements. Often they've excelled in classes, so why not spend a few minutes to recognize what they've accomplished?

Of course, ultimately we want to honor God, for He is the One who blessed these people with wisdom and determination to make it thus far.

"The tassle is worth the hassle!" :thumbsup:

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    High school grads and their parents are invited to a desert.

Parents are asked to give a charge to their student.

As my youngest graduated this year, my wife and I were there.

My charge followed Ecclesiastes 12

"Enjoy life, take chances, but don't wait till you're old to remember God."

Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come and the years draw near of which you will say, “I have no pleasure in them”
    Ecclesiastes 12:1 (ESV)

Rob

4. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We recognized our grads today - 3 of them. We gave them each good, quality Bibles. We want them to last (and we pray that they will use them!!).

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

We give top quality Leather bound Bibles to High School grads. BS, BA's, Master and Doctor levels also if there are any

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely we do. We usually do it the second to last week in May (to avoid Memorial Weekend.) So we just finished. We take time out of our services to have a video containing quick birth info, graduation info, and future plans (as best we can know them) during this video for each graduate we get baby pictures, child pictures (like first day of school), and a senior portrait picture.

Then we have them come up on the platform (in each service) and pray for them as a group. That evening we usually have a special banquet for them and their families where we give them special gifts and have a good time. We try to include everybody that wants to be included. :)

High school graduation is one of those very special times where we have a social place to make an impact. We love it!