1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Red Cross to bring tens of thousands of Hatians to US

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rbell, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not to impugn your two cents here, but have you ever been to Haiti? Or India? Or certain parts of Tibet? Ask anyone on this bb who has been on a mission trip to some of these areas. The poorest of the poor here isn't poor compared to the average poor person in those countries. We don't have a clue as to what poor is. We really don't.

Now, that said, yes, we have people in need here, that should be looked after. But to ignore others for the sake of those here isn't the right answer.

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Luke 10:27 And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

Luke 10:29 But wishing to justify himself, he said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"

Luke 10:36 "Which of these three do you think proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell into the robbers' {hands?}"

Luke 10:37 And he said, "The one who showed mercy toward him." Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do the same."

I don't disagree that there are people in need in this country, but I don't believe that means we should become callous and not show compassion to others. Especially so with a disaster of this magnitude.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

When you ask? When neocons get on board with social justice and get over me first, me first. You are almost sounding like a...dare I say it....LIBERAL!

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, they want to bring Haitians to the US. Are any other countries doing this, or is the US expected to house them all?

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Whether other countries ARE doing it or not doesn't change the fact that countries SHOULD be doing it. We should not make our humanitarian provisions contingent upon what other countries are doing.

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is one more time I'm in complete agreement with Johnv!!

This should apply to ALL aspects of our government, not just this catastrophe!

('Course here I'm thinking primarily of one of the Supreme Court members who wants to use foreign laws to "modify" our own!)

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I must be on a roll lately. Or maybe it's just a sign that the rapture is near. :wavey:

8. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I agree with you, that wasn't what I was getting at. Are we Americans, once again, expected to do EVERYTHING? Are France, Germany, England, Spain, etc. bringing in refuges to their countries? Or is this the usual scenario where we are expected to do all the work and pay for everything? What is the UN doing, if anything?

9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

We have been involved in nation building in Iraq. Now we have a completely inept, corrupt government in Haiti. Why don't we do some nation building here in our own hemisphere and set up a government in Haiti that will allow these people to prosper in their own country. I'm sure the U.S. could find some justification for such an act.

10. targus

targus New Member

I say bring as many Haitians here legally that want to come...

Provided that at the same time we deport two illegal immigrants currently in the country for every legal immigrant that comes from Haiti.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Don't say that, they'll all come to my state. We just deported some 20,000 illegal aliens who were convicted of crimes. We also saw a 25% drop in illegal immigration last year. Shhh, don't tell anyone though.

12. targus

targus New Member

Nah... the Haitian immigrats would probably prefer Florida

And you would get the added bonus of ejecting illegals two for one.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

I don't know about the rest, but France just surrendered to Haiti, so they did their part.

:eek: :D

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You realize, don't you, that I plan on relocating to Celebration, FL someday, in hopes of later retiring there. You really know how to toss a wrench in a guy's dreams ;)