1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reese: President Bush Should Talk With the Iranians

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, May 10, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Charley Reese. I would hope that everyone who advocates limited, constitutional government, as Mr. Reese does, would also agree.

Talk Is Necessary

President Bush should talk to the Iranians. Refusing to talk is childish. How would the Cold War have ended if Ronald Reagan had refused to talk to Soviet leaders? How would relations with China have been established if Richard Nixon had said he would never talk to Chinese leaders?

For heaven's sake, how would the American Revolution have ended if the Americans had refused to talk to the British?

It is those with whom you have a disagreement that you most need to talk to. There are only two ways to resolve a conflict - through negotiations or by force. Bush's refusal to talk to the Iranians, except in terms of threats and ultimatums, seems reckless. Unlike the use of force, talking doesn't cost you anything.

New York Times columnist Tom Friedman said recently that if the choice is another military adventure led by this administration or a nuclear Iran, he'll take the nuclear Iran and rely on conventional deterrence. Smart guy. That's how any sensible person would see it. A nuclear-armed Iran would not be a threat to the U.S. or to Israel, both of which have plenty of warheads to act as a deterrent.

- rest at LINK

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I agree with President Kennedy . . .

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Charley seems kind of bewildered to me Ken, guess he hasn't read the PNAC documents yet.

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    </font>[/QUOTE]Did he get that marvelous piece of philosophy from Joe, Sr., referring to the Nazis?

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Did he get that marvelous piece of philosophy from Joe, Sr., referring to the Nazis? </font>[/QUOTE]You know, I seriously doubt it. I believe President Kennedy's point is that we should always be willing to enter into honest negotiations with adversaries and potential adversaries, but that we should not do so because we are afraid of them. That is a prudent model. I don't know if the President of Iran is seeking honest, good-faith negotiations (although I doubt it), but any olive branch should be evaluated for authenticity. Otherwise we have no hope as a species to get along with one another on this little blue marble.

6. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

I've always enjoyed Charley's columns. I may not always agree with him, but he always makes me think. In this case, I do happen to agree to an extent with him.