1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reference to "Bama" in Jeremiah?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Speedpass, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    During last Saturday's "Gameday" on ESPN, was there a segment about some former Alabama football player who is now a preacher making reference to "Bama" in Jeremiah? I didn't know there was such a reference made in the Word, or was I dreaming. This "preacher" was also making comments about the late Paul "Bear" Bryant not really being saved, despite all the comments of praise he made to God during his long life and tenure as the Crimson Tide's coach.:praying:

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you do a Bible search with the word "bama," the only thing you get is "Bamah," a particular place in Ezekiel. Perhaps he meant something else, but I don't find anything searching with "crimson," "tide," or "bear." What else might there be?

As for Paul "Bear" Bryant not being saved... we just don't know, and I doubt if that guy does either. He didn't live like a Christian-- cursing, smoking, drinking, and about as overbearing as they come in his trade. But if you take that approach, there are few Christians for whom something can't be pointed out that might raise such doubt about being saved; you once heard them lie, gossip, or display a positive trait they didn't really think or feel; don't obey traffic or other laws, showed anger at another person..... We don't know about Bryant, as we don't really know about anyone else.