1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reformation Day

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

In a way, certainly. But the catholic church met here spiritual demise on that day. A great rapture of God's people ensued- out from outright paganism and idolatry and into new movements of spiritual freedom and sincerity.

These fledgling movements needed to grow and still needed to shed some catholic "paganism" that clung to them, but like a new born baby with the crud of the womb still clinging on and the baby needing a bath- still the baby has new life.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No, of course not. You are to be commended for preaching the Word of God- and a tremendous passage at that.

But shame on preachers in general who NEVER educate their people about church history. Our people are certainly not going to learn our heritage in public school.

I preached on the five solas. I used the Word of God too. I gave a brief exposition on five different passages that teach each of the solas.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Shouldn't church history be more of an in depth small group or class study?

4. Max Kennedy

Max Kennedy New Member

You can't even understand American history without knowing about popery and the dark ages under the holy roman empire.

Our Declaration of Independence was not just signed against King George, but was specifically written to fly in the face
    of the doctrine of the divine rights of kings, a system set up by the catholic church that kept all of europe locked up in
    serfdom for centuries.

Samuel Adams said exactly that in his famous speech about the Declaration of Independence:

Our forefathers threw off the yoke of popery in religion: for you is reserved the honor of levelling the popery of politics. They opened the Bible to all, and maintained the capacity of every man to judge for himself in religion. Are we sufficient for the comprehension of the sublimest spiritual truths, and unequal to material and temporal ones? Heaven hath trusted us with the management of things for eternity, and man denies us ability to judge of the present, or to know from our feelings the experience that will make us happy. "You can discern," say they, "objects distant and remote, but cannot perceive those within your grasp. Let us have the distribution of present goods, and cut out and manage as you please the interests of futurity." This day, I trust the reign of political protestantism will commence. We have explored the temple of royalty, and found that the idol we have bowed down to, has eyes which see not, ears that hear not our prayers, and a heart like the nether millstone. We have this day restored the Sovereign, to whom alone men ought to be obedient. He reigns in Heaven, and with a propitious eye beholds his subjects assuming that freedom of thought, and dignity of self-direction which He bestowed on them. From the rising to the setting sun, may His kingdom come.

Complete speech:
    http://www.revolutionary-war-and-be...nce-speech-by-samuel-adams-august-1-1776.html

I sometimes wonder where the source of political correctness is really coming from, and if the Roman Catholic church isn't leading us down to a new dark ages. Reading the bible makes me think so.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I think either would be good.

Regardless, the pastor is the one who oversees the teaching ministry of the church. He should see to it that one way or the other, Christian people learn these important things.

6. Max Kennedy

Max Kennedy New Member

FYI - just noticed a new sola in Samuel Adams speech:

We have this day restored the Sovereign, to whom alone men ought to be obedient.

We need to go back to what our forefathers believed. We are in danger of losing our crown that the Philedephia church is warned about holding onto. God gave us our country, and we shouldn't let it be usurped by people who won't follow the constitution and who are not Christians.

Sola Sovereignty, Sola obediance.

7. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

When I was a pastor we almost always celebrated Reformation Sunday. I would preach from classic texts associated with Luther, such as those in Romans and Galatians, and we would always ... always! ... sing "Ein Feste Burg ist Unser Gott." That reminds me too that the services generally included a reading of Psalm 46, which also became sermon text at least one year.

I sometimes do my sermons as dramatic monologues, as if I were the Biblical character I was portraying (complete with costume). So one year I put on my academic regalia and spoke as if I were Prof Luther re-examining and re-discovering, "The just shall live by faith" and his adding with a flourish, "alone." Memorable and fun to do.

Now I am playing the organ in another Baptist church and hoped I could do either "A Mighty Fortress" or Vaughn Williams, "For All the Saints." No such like; we are so Baptist ... I was landed with "Make Me a Blessing."

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Awesome! I should like to hear some of these sermons.

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think anybody is suggesting that a pastor should get up and lecture about Church history in place of exposition on Sundays. What (I hope) most of us are saying is that a skilled homiletician can integrate stories from Church history as useful and instructive illustrations.

Now that said our church offers a introduction to Church history as a stand alone special class. It runs 10 weeks in the spring and 10 weeks in the fall. Has some pretty good turnout too.

10. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Jeremiah 23:22
    But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings.

Matthew 28:20
    Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

John 15:15
    Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

Acts 20:27
    For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

1 Corinthians 11:23
    For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

--------------------------------------------------
    A soul was never "truly" saved nor a Christian convicted of their sin, by a history lesson.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You must be kidding. Surely you don't think that the ONLY business of the church is to save souls.

You don;t think the church should along with her solemn duties should educate the people of God on their godly heritage??

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Some might say the Bible is the greatest His-Story lesson ever told...

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can live with this.

14. ituttut

ituttut New Member

But the Baby has stopped growing the the Word of God. She is now
    Ingesting such things as a Friday crucifixion as fact with no biblical proof.

It looks to me as if we have turned to others for understanding, instead cof orrectly dividing the Word of God.

15. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I am working on copying my sermons from cassette tapes to mp3 files, where I can then upload to sermoncentral.com's companion site, sermon.net. I'll try to find one or two of those sermons ... especially the Luther one ... and then will try to remember to alert you. But give me some time ... I am 72 years old and a lung cancer patient, so time and energy are at a premium.

16. ituttut

ituttut New Member

May God

May God comfort you, praying that suffering associated with cancer will not be your lot.