1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Reformation of Christ's Birth Celebration

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by T Alan, Dec 13, 2014.

1. T Alan

T Alan New Member

I have met sarcasm with sarcasm. I've responded to all in kind. Sincere with sincere .... It's interesting how I can be spoken to in apparent "insults" with backslaps aplenty but when I respond likewise I'm a bad boy. "lighten up" as it's been said to me more than once. Smiles Everyone!:wavey:

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now your a victim .....really?

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way the op talks about "celebrating" Santa Claus" ( of which I know of no one who celebrates) and all the "trappings". What in the world does "trapping" mean.

Since neither I nor anyone I know celebrates Santa Claus and God only knows what trappings mean I said no. I would not be for a reformation of a non existent problem among Christians.

4. T Alan

T Alan New Member

trappings
    [trap-ingz]

Synonyms
    Examples
    Word Origin

noun, ( used with a plural verb)
    articles of equipment or dress, especially of an ornamental character.
    conventional adornment; characteristic signs:
    trappings of democracy.
    Sometimes, trapping. an ornamental covering for a horse; caparison.
    Origin
    Middle English
    1350-1400
    1350-1400; Middle English; see trap2, -ing1, -s3
    Synonyms
    1. costume, raiment, attire, apparel.
    Dictionary.com Unabridged
    Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2014.
    Cite This Source
    Examples from the web for trappings

As a result, what has all the trappings of a patriarchal culture, actually has many elements of a matriarchal one.
    Journalism is a noble trade that only fairly recently adapted the trappings of a profession.
    So even though they've got all the trappings of communication, you don't actually find communication.

(as you've directed me before, try google)

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look smarty pants, posting the definition does nothing to explain what you mean by it. How about giving some specific examples of what you believe are the trappings. Or is it your intent (as is common among cals) to remain arrogantly vague.

6. T Alan

T Alan New Member

This is exactly my point with the query concerning separating the two. I contend that although "all" say they are not celebrating Satan Claus they indeed are and this could be proved by separating the two and then take note on those that put half as much time, material, sacrifice into the Celebration of Jesus' birth. I contend that for most it (a true period of "celebration") for the birth of Jesus apart from Old Santa would not "get off the ground". Hence showing what the REAL thing being celebrated currently on Dec 25 is.

7. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Another attempt at insult. Everybody step back I expect the Arminian backslap Crew to come charging in. Reverend Mitchell has a Calvinist on the ground. (He thinks) gagagaga.

8. T Alan

T Alan New Member

If you can't understand what "trappings" are in relation to "Santa Claus Christmas" after I supply the definition then, apparently the air is to thin up there :laugh::love2:where you is and I've done all I can do.

9. T Alan

T Alan New Member

And since you RevMitchell brought it up. I expected the line to drawn in the poll between Arminian and "Calvinist". Due to the word "Reformation". NO self respecting Arminian-SemiPelagian would consider a "Reformation" a good thing.:thumbsup:

10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why should Christians give way to Santa Claus, elves, and reindeer? How about the world move their commercialized "holiday" to September 15th? We had the December date first!

BTW, how's your list coming?

11. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Never! But I aint skeeerd to defend myself either.

12. T Alan

T Alan New Member

The world would never consider changing a date. ;)

and the list was written 2K plus years ago, I'll post some excerpts from it shortly but I don't expect many to agree. I fully expect to get labeled a "legalist" a few more times.

13. T Alan

T Alan New Member

"ready for Christmas"?, "Y'all have a good Christmas"? "did you get what you wanted for Christmas"? "What did you get for Christmas"?
    It is obvious one is concerned how one's:laugh: "Worship" of the King of Kings went. NOT!

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea that is what I thought. You haven't really thought this through yourself. Probably just ranting after reading some other cal blog with no real purpose.

Like I said this thread is about poling the finger in the eye of anyone with whom you do not agree.

15. T Alan

T Alan New Member

"Pick your poison"

2 Cor 4:4
    New International Version
    The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

New Living Translation
    Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don't understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

English Standard Version
    In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

New American Standard Bible
    in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

King James Bible
    In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
    In their case, the god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelievers so they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

International Standard Version
    In their case, the god of this world has blinded the minds of those who do not believe to keep them from seeing the light of the glorious gospel of the Messiah, who is the image of God.

NET Bible
    among whom the god of this age has blinded the minds of those who do not believe so they would not see the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
    Those whose intellects The God of this world has blinded, because they do not believe, lest the light of The Gospel of the glory of The Messiah, who is the image of God, should dawn upon them.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
    The god of this world has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. As a result, they don't see the light of the Good News about Christ's glory. It is Christ who is God's image.

Jubilee Bible 2000
    In whom the god of this age has blinded the understanding of those who do not believe, that the light of the gospel of the glory of the Christ, who is the image of God, should not shine in them.

King James 2000 Bible
    In whom the god of this age has blinded the minds of them who believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

American King James Version
    In whom the god of this world has blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine to them.

American Standard Version
    in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn upon them .

Douay-Rheims Bible
    In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of unbelievers, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not shine unto them.

Darby Bible Translation
    in whom the god of this world has blinded the thoughts of the unbelieving, so that the radiancy of the glad tidings of the glory of the Christ, who is [the] image of God, should not shine forth [for them].

English Revised Version
    in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn upon them.

Webster's Bible Translation
    In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them who believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine to them.

Weymouth New Testament
    in whom the god of this present age has blinded their unbelieving minds so as to shut out the sunshine of the Good News of the glory of the Christ, who is the image of God.

World English Bible
    in whom the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the Good News of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn on them.

Young's Literal Translation
    in whom the god of this age did blind the minds of the unbelieving, that there doth not shine forth to them the enlightening of the good news of the glory of the Christ, who is the image of God;

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One verse about unbelievers being unable to see God's truth. Wow. I'm convicted. Throwing my multi-colored string of decorative LED lights in the trash, stat!

Mods - - unsaid implication being anyone that has the trappings of secular holiday paraphernalia in their house is an unbeliever.

17. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still waiting for those 95 reasons...

18. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My comment was not sarcastic. I think that that you have put yourself in a position from which you cannot escape. Post your 95 or give it up.

Also waiting for your display of your psychic powers...

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the problem with cagey cals, they have no judgment.

20. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does Calvinism have to do with it? Seems like a cheap shot.