1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reformation Sunday

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Oct 30, 2011.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Organic Successionism, or the JJJ-Theory (Trail of Blood) of Baptist origins, is an erroneous position which has been thoroughly disproven through reasonable historical investigation.

Baptist don't go back to the New Testament. They started in the 1600s out of British Separatism influenced by Anabaptists of the Radical Reformation.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. The antipathy and prejudice some here have expressed towards Anabaptists is troubling:

Paige Patterson has led SWBTS in celebrating Radical Reformation Day each year.:thumbs:

3. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Are you saying that before the 16th century that the RCC was the only church?

John

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Though we probably have a different understanding of what I mean by church, essentially yes.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That shows how ignorant you are on the subject and proves that you have no business speaking on these matters due to your lack of understanding concerning them.

JACOBUS ARMINIUS was not settled on the matter of security himself. He could very EASILY have believed in eternal security.

If you knew beans from apple butter about the matter you would have known that.

So you could quite easily be a thoroughgoing Arminian. Believing in eternal security does not make you NOT an Arminian.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

What do you mean when you say your heritage goes all the way back to the NT?

That is true for the orthodox Christian faith and all of us within that faith.

If you mean that there is a steady line of BAPTISTS all the way back, you have swallowed a big fat lie perpetrated by pseudo historians.

There is simply no line of baptists all the way back to the NT. We ALL came out of the Reformation- I think this includes Anabaptists, but who cares? Anabaptists are not best represented by IFBers today. They are best represented by Mennonites and other fringe, isolationist groups.

If you are IFB in the south you split off of the SBC which is a PROTESTANT denomination. So your line goes right back to the Protestant Reformation.

You are the doctrinal progeny of Luther- like it, lump it, thump it, bump it or jump it.

7. seekingthetruth

This? Coming from an educated idiot?

I sat here and watched you call others "ignorant" and observed your superior and even arrogant attitude. Can you not debate a matter without making personal attacks? You are by far the most arrogant, condescending, self righteous hypocrite on this board.

For what it's worth, I don't care what Jacobus Arminius believed. Today we associate Arminians with salvation by grace plus works, so I am definately NOT Arminian!

Please do not address me again, and I will never address you.

John

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I am not calling you ignorant. I am pointing out where you identify yourself as ignorant on this subject.

And arrogance is almost never what popular opinion thinks it is.
    The same with humility.

Arrogance is speaking authoritatively on something as if you know what you are talking about when you clearly do not.

Humility is rebuking such arrogance while being willing to take flack from everybody for doing so. Humility is being more concerned with reproving darkness than receiving affirmation and approval.

Your way of thinking, this IFB mentality that so many IFB's have- is DARKNESS.

Befriending it does not work. Coddling it does not work.

And even if it did we are not supposed to have our actions guided by pragmatism but by Scripture.

Scripture says to EARNESTLY CONTEND for the Faith.
    Scripture says to REPROVE the unfruitful works of darkness.
    Scripture says to CAST DOWN imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the KNOWLEDGE of GOD.

True humility is not avoiding that and being pragmatic and getting people to approve of you and call you a sweet guy. That is the dead level OPPOSITE of humility.

Humility is being willing to be ostracized for doing what is right because you care more about truth than your own self.

9. seekingthetruth

How dare you speak of humility when you have never experienced it!

10. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

To be honest here, this thing of being able to trace "ones heritage" all the way back to Pentecost in Acts (or thereabouts if it is to some other specific 1st century event) is nothing but pride.

Didn't the Pharisees practice the same thing about their personal "stock" and tribe and brag about these things? Of course they did. It had nothing to do with whether or not they were really and truly "Israel" within the sense of being God's elect and chosen.

Sorry, but I see nothing within this "tracing back" but persons being supercilious, showing a lack of humility and an abundance of pride.

The only thing we need to concern ourselves with is being regenerate and a child of God by His grace, "chosen in Him." Anything other than this that reflects on ones "brand" of baptist, "heritage" &c is nothing more than a flesh parade and is nothing less than this.

#30 preacher4truth, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
  11. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Will the worship of Calvinism ever stop? :tongue3:

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its actually Marty we love....evidenced by the following statement....."You are the doctrinal progeny of Luther- like it, lump it, thump it, bump it or jump it".

Almighty fortress is our God....

13. seekingthetruth

I don't mean it to come across as pride. It is simply that God has preserved the church. The NT church never ceased to exist. It had problems with doctrine, and it wasn't always called Baptist, but it still survived, evolved, and has emerged as the modern church we have today.

John

14. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

A Mighty Fortress is our God.

Must be your joyzy accent.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not so sure I would put too much honor in the modern day church. :tear:

16. seekingthetruth

Now that is the most truthfull statement anyone has made on here.

John