1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reformed Altar Calls?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preacher4truth, Jan 30, 2012.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you do not gather statistics then you cannot report to your denomination any numbers. If one wants to look good then he will gather and inflate the numbers. I was in a church that I realized that the chief head counter added to make the church look good to the people. There was a time when I questioned the number and counted them myself.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good argument for Church Independence.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They can be just as good at lies in their exaggeration. It is not limited to denominations.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes we all have a sin nature dont we!

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

It is not "if" God is the only persuader, but rather "God is the only persuader."

Why should we preach to the lost and have altar calls?

Because our Persuader says that is how He persuades. We preach, we make apologetic arguments, we concince, and the Persuader convicts. He gives us a role in the process and yet we can persuade no one (Paul "wished" that he could persuade Agrippa). That is the role of the Holy Spirit.

It is as if we speak the words of God and the Holy Spirit speaks into the heart of the lost saying, "Hear this. This is truth." No man can convince another man that the things of God -- especially the supernatural things -- are in fact true apart from faith and it is God who grants the faith to belive.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

We have "altar calls". But most of the folks I've baptized over the past two and half years here did not come forward in the invitation.

They have come to me before or after service and announced their faith in Christ or they call me during the week.

Then I baptize them in the next week or so.

We have a baptism this week, in fact, of a young man, 17 years old, who came to me before service Sunday night and asked to speak with me. After service he and I went into a room and he said, "I want to be saved." He confessed Christ as his Savior there in that room and we baptize him Sunday.

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Outstanding Testimony! Thanks for sharing God's faithful work!

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, I have been called a lot of things. Deformed would be mild compared to some. :laugh:

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I'd venture to guess he's more like a '79 Ford Pinto. :laugh:

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Ushering in the "hallelujah chorus". :godisgood::jesus::godisgood::jesus:

11. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Enabled= Those who are the Elect of God, whom He effectually apllies unto them saving grace, in order to have them able to respond to the Gospel, God enables them to use the faith that he granted them to believe unto jesus and be saved!

12. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

that God uses the Gospel to save those whom He has elected is a lie?

So when Apostle peter said that ALl those who God had appointed to receive eternal life , heard the gospel, and confirmed their election by responding did not happen, or peter lied?

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I Corinthians 1:21
    This is why preachers preach, and exhort men and women to repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus.

And here is why men and women respond---or don't:

14. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

You mean that we DONT still have our own free will to accept jesus?

15. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

The whole idea of preaching the Gospel to the congregation followed by an "altar" call is completely backwards from the Biblical paradigm. The Biblical example of evangelism(preaching the gospel) is to go into the world, where the lost are, & tell them the good news face to face. Too often, modern church is just an attempt to repeat the "Great Revivals" within the walls of a little building. Not only that, but the "Revivals" were colossal failures. Within one generation, the areas where the "revivals" occurred were as morally & spiritually destitute as before; only worse. The people had been inoculated against hearing the truth with coercive preaching and emotionalism. We should judge the "revivals" by the same method we use to determine whether or not an individual is regenerate....by a changed life that bears fruit.

How many churches have "revival" meetings throughout the year; bringing in "special speakers" to excite the people, but the nothing ever changes? Perhaps holding Biblical interpretation & discernment classes instead of "preaching the gospel" would bring about the change which so alludes them.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That was one thing Billy Graham realized that without followup (discipleship) that would happen. Too often it was emotion without action. My wife and I were married in a church that seldom had an altar. I remember the first time I was visitor and did not leave the building without someone asking about my spiritual condition. Later I found out that every person at each door was a leader in the church and each one knew how to do evangelism.

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Graham's revivals have demonstrated about a 2% "stick" after the fact. That number is probably less than it would have been had that many persons been involved in relationships with church people and invited to a local church for service.

Someone once ran the numbers and if we had a Graham-styled evangelistic event every day, around the world, with his numbers, at the end of 10 years there would be more people in the world that needed salvation than when the effort began (and indeed, we have seen just that, though Graham did not hold an event "every day").

On the other hand, if one person would win one other, then the two went out and each won one other, by the end of that same 10-year period, the evangelized would all be fighting over who got to share the gospel with the last remaining lost person (assuming that all could be convinced and would chose, as is the model of some).

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Despite the low percentage I know there were some children from Mormon homes who heard him speak when I was involved in San Antonio. Involvement was good for the chruch I pastored. It helped people grow and have boldness.

Dawson Trotman gave a message on that in the early 50s. It amazes me how many have ignored that. The last numbers I saw showed that most denominations in America did not grow more percentage than the percentage of population growth. The vast majority were less.

19. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

How would someone that received the gift of evangelising others to the Lord actually function in a local Church setting?

ALL of us called by God to live as witnesses, but what is difference between us and one gifted by the Lord specifically as an evangelist?

20. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Where did all this come from?

Ask Christ into your heart

Invite Christ into your life

Pray this little prayer after me

Could this be why the majority of church members are lost?
    I thought you were convicted, repented and you couidn't keep him out THIS IS THE SUPERNATURAL