1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reformed Baptist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jon-Marc, May 2, 2008.

1. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

What is a "Reformed" Baptist? Someone asked me that question in a PM, and I wasn't able to answer it. All I know is that Jesus said "Ye must be born again." He said nothing that I know of about being "reformed."

2. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

It would be a Baptist who held to reformed beliefs. Or, using the word that causes so much debate upon these boards, a CALVINIST.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Alliance of Reformed Baptist Churches merged into the Wesleyan Church in the 1960s.

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

There is a good article on this at: http://www.reformedbaptist.co.uk/Article2.htm

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

It explains nothing when you use a word to define itself. This doesn't tell me what "reformed" is.

So to be a Reformed Baptist means to be a Baptist who is a Calvinist? I'm not a Calvinist. Thanks for the info.

#6 Jon-Marc, May 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2008
  7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

One person once described a reformed baptist as a Presbyterian who practiced credo baptism.

Things that are common among reformed baptist church are:
    Holding to the London Baptist confession of Faith.
    Calvinist
    Often believe in plurality of elders
    Often hold the regulative principle of worship

8. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Jon-Marc,

Maybe you need to read up on the subject of "reformed theology".
    That's just a suggestion.

9. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

This is what our church has to explain "reformed" and what it means to us..

The term "Reformed" refers to the great revival that swept through Europe five hundred years ago that is known as the Protestant Reformation. This movement was a protest against the abuses of the Roman Catholic church, abuses which arose from two principle tap roots. The first was Rome's denial of the sole Headship of Jesus Christ over His church. The second was the leaven of the false gospel of Roman Catholicism, a "gospel" which taught (and still teaches) that men are justified before God by their own merits, and not by the free and Sovereign grace of God in Christ alone.
    The Protestant recovery of the gospel of Christ and His Apostles finds its best summation in the five "sola" statements of the Reformation: Sola Scriptura, Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solus Christus, and Soli Deo Gloria.

I. Sola Scriptura ("Scripture Alone"). The Lord Jesus Christ alone is the unrivaled Head of His church, and He shares His throne with no man; even if that man is a pastor, priest, or pope. King Jesus exercises His rule over His church by His Holy Spirit through His Holy Word. Therefore the Protestant Reformers insisted upon the sole authority of Holy Scripture to bind the consciences of men. Although God does empower a plurality of men known as "elders" to shepherd each local church, their authority must always be exercised under the authority of Christ and His Word, to which nothing may be added or taken away.

II. Sola Gratia ("Grace Alone"). With the recovery of the sufficiency of Holy Scripture came the recovery of Scripture's message: the gospel of Christ and Him crucified. The Reformers learned and then preached that the only hope anyone has of being saved from his sin and from the wrath that is to come is in the free grace (the unmerited favor) of God alone. The Triune God alone saves sinners, and He is absolutely Sovereign over when and to whom He dispenses His effectual saving grace. Fallen man is powerless and helpless to save himself or to contribute anything to his own salvation.

III. Sola Fide ("Faith Alone"). The saving grace of Almighty God is received by sinners as they exercise faith in the Living Christ alone for their salvation. Yet even this faith is a gift of God's grace to sinful men, so that they have no room to boast. By affirming this truth the Reformers were denying that men are justified before God by their own merits or by an infusion of Christ's righteousness that enabled them to keep God's Law unto salvation. Instead, the Protestants taught that whenever a lost sinner ceases from his works and simply believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted to him for righteousness. From the moment a lost sinner truly believes the righteousness of Jesus Christ Himself is imputed to him because his sin was imputed to Christ upon the cross. Therefore, from that time onward, the believing sinner is eternally justified before God on the basis of Christ's perfect righteousness and finished work on the cross.

IV. Solus Christus ("Christ Alone"). The Reformers affirmed that the only object of saving faith has always been and evermore shall be the Lord Jesus Christ alone. He alone is the way, the truth, and the life; no man can come to the Father except through Him (John 14:6). The saints of the Old Testament were saved by faith in the Messiah who was to come, and the saints of the New Testament are saved by faith in the Messiah who has come and who is soon coming again. There is no other Mediator between God and men, and there is no other name given under heaven by which men must be saved, than the man whose name is the Lord Jesus Christ.

V. Soli Deo Gloria ("To God Alone Be the Glory"). Because the Triune God alone is the Creator of all things, and because the salvation of sinners is a loving work of His free grace alone; all honor, praise, and glory is His alone. "But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God-and righteousness and sanctification and redemption-that, as it is written, 'He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.'" (I Corinthians 1:30-31)

10. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I see no need to do that. What I've been told here tells me that it's not something that interests me.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed Baptist just listed the five Solas of the Reformation which his Church holds to as being Reformed , others have said something similar . And then you say "that's not something that interests me." My response is ??!!

12. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I don't think Christ said anything about being a Baptist either.

13. nunatak

nunatak New Member

A question then:

Doesn't the word "reformed" imply to follow the teachings of the Reformation, specifically the Protestant Reformation?

And if that is so, then if I call myself reformed, don't I need to know what was being protested, and reformed?

I know these are simple questions, but some of these doctrines are very new to me.

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

Sounds more like it is something that "turns you off." You DID start this thread, right?

skypair

15. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I think he started it as a way to say Calvinism isn't right. With the internet, it is very very easy to find out what reformed means.

16. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

1) Where did the baptizing of babies fit into those five points listed above?
    2) Where did Kingdom Building fit into those five points listed above?

Two strong and factual issues that plague the Reformers and can never be reconciled as being Baptist Distinctives.

Bartimaeus

17. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it say that Reformed Baptists agree with Calvinism? My understanding is that Calvinism believes in limited atonement. That is what I disagree with. Atonement was provided for everyone, but unfortunately not everyone will accept it.

18. JerryL

JerryL New Member

So.........you really started this thread to talk about what is wrong with Calvinism, not to learn about what the definition of reformed is? There have been a couple of links posted to find out about "reformed." Your question has been answered I think.

19. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Yes, to ask what "reformed" means. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on what I was asking. No one has answered that question, or did I miss it in one of the long answers? ALL I wanted to know is what REFORMED means, although I've only heard it used in reference to Baptists. I've also heard of reformed alcoholics, although I still don't know what it means to be "reformed". I heard of "reform school" where juvenile delinquents were sent. What does "reformed" mean versus being "born again"?

20. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I wasn't asking about Calvinism. I was asking about what a REFORMED baptist is. The only thing I disagree with in Calvinism is limited atonement.