1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reformed Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is anyone here a current student or alumni of Reformed Theological Seminary? I am mainly thinking of their online MA/R program.

I hold a MA/R from Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary so I am not asking this question for myself. I ask this question only because I don't believe I have ever heard of anyone who has graduated from this program. I am sure it is a fine program but I would like to learn more about it so I could recommend it to more people. While I still love and highly recommend Liberty University/Seminary and their distance learning program, I would like to be able to recommend a distance learning program from a school that represents the historic reformed position (which RTS does).

http://virtual.rts.edu/

Please note above that I put Baptist in bold. Why? Well Liberty has dropped the word Baptist from their seminary title. However I am a Baptist in doctrine and polity and my degree from Liberty says "Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary". Therefore I want to put the focus on the term Baptist. I don't know why Liberty removed the term "Baptist" from their seminary title.

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

I am certain the RTS program is a top-notch one, though I've never attended. I have friends who have other degrees from RTS.

I suspect Liberty dropped "Baptist" from the seminary in order to appeal to a broader spectrum of evangelical students, along the same lines as Liberty Baptist College (originally Lynchburg Baptist College) becoming Liberty University.

Bill

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I agree but I thought I would see if anyone had any first hand testimonies about the program.

==I don't like it one bit but you are probably right. Liberty University and Seminary are Baptist. I think people need to know that when they choose to attend seminary there. If Baptist were not in the title to start with that would be one thing. But to drop it almost thirty years after the school formed is just a bad idea. There is nothing to be ashamed of in the term "Baptist".