1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reformed Theology vs. the Reformed Attitude

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mandym, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That doesn't really account for "new calvinists" (plural) :)

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Question: Now, regarding his OP. As I've posted before, I don't know a single Calvinist who is arrogant, etc. Can anyone cite some quotes which support that allegation? So far, all I've heard are unsupported assertions that they're out there.

Example: so to do these pastors and lay-persons reason, never realizing that what they are doing, essentially, is setting up human free will on a throne above that of God Himself!

If this doesn't count as a display of arrogance from a Calvinist then I don't know what would count. It is also a malicious assumption on his part and insulting to anyone who doesn't agree with him. And, when called on it and asked to repent of such ugliness he arrogantly refused. And, he wonders why many want nothing to do with his brand of so called "named" theology.

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

A few of us actually tried to answer the OP. The problem is that if we disagree with the conclusions, we are branded as if we are avoiding the post.

I, for one, disagree that there is that level of problem within the ranks of the Reformed. In fact, most of what appears to be dissension is nothing more than semantics or a minute difference of opinion on one particular item amongst a number of agreements on other subjects. That is part and parcel of the give and take of the theological world. Anyone who reads scholarly journals of theology or philosophy will instantly recognize that for what it is. That is how the system works.

Now, in the case of the OP here in this thread, the opposite is true (or attempted). The point attempted is that the Reformed Baptists are in disarray and in-fighting proves that Calvinists cannot get along, hence the entire system is flawed. That is an absolutely flawed premise and a false conclusion buoyed on the worldview presuppositions of the OP and persons who agree with that stance.

More so, as has been raised above, the question also arises as to the level of disagreement of those who are not of the Reformed (or "Calvinist" to use that pejorative term) persuasion, with the idea being that there is a monolithic agreement amongst those not of the Reformed persuasion. That is patently false as we can see in any 10 different threads here on this board and in the scholarly (are there any non-Reformed scholarly journals?) activity.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

How is an observation of fact become the arrogance of a Calvinist? Simply because the observation is distasteful TO YOU does not make it an arrogant statement.

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

The OP didn't confuse me - RevMitchell used to post like this, and I've noticed mandym uses the same technique.

As to the OP, that's a shame Cals have that reputation, but sometimes I wonder if it is broad stereotyping. For instance, I hear many times from the "world" that Christians are arrogant, etc. It seems in our postmodern world that arrogance is deemed the worst of all sins.

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

How is an observation of fact

What fact? You have arrogantly stated your opinion and in doing so maligned bothers and sisters in Christ who might happen to disagree with you.

So much for my "ignore" button.

7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Thought so... :1_grouphug:

Sag38, I made it very clear in my comment that I OBSERVED such to be the case. In that case, I made a statement of fact based on my own observations. You probably missed that part in your effort to call me out for my arrogance.

Now, would you like for me to dig up about 20 posts in threads on this board to further prove my observation? I can do so rather easily!

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Is that enough arrogance for you?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nother one a dem arrogant Calvanist fellers agen

Get da shotgun out maaaa! (couldnt Resist! ) :p

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BB is like livin the Hatfields & the McCoys all over except on the Internet! :smilewinkgrin:

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

"God, I thank thee that I am not as others are, calvinists, DoGer's, predestinators, arrogantites, judgmentalites, and electioneers. I arminian seven days per week, and tithe my free-willies of all that I possesseth."*

:laugh:

- Amen

(*the above is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to represent anyone, nor misrepresent anyone, alive or dead, either real or fictitious, in the same vane as the OP is not meant to do the same towards anyone. Any similarities to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.)

#51 preacher4truth, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  12. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

That is true. Good point. I was meaning only to address those avoiding the content of the OP, but I should have said so.

Not by me. I just think it is interesting that so many of "your own" recognize this tendency among especially new and younger reformed guys. Personally, I think that tendency is pretty obvious. I know because I used to be one of them. At the time, I didn't see myself as arrogant, but looking back I definitely see it. I still have to continually pray for sanctification in this area of my life.

I'll concede that point. I agree that infighting doesn't prove the system itself is flawed, only that those holding to that system have flaws, which is true of Christianity as a whole. I think Piper's quote I provided earlier explains why this tendency is greater among young reformers.

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A sample:

"They are so full of pride. They know it all. And this is Calvinism? God save us from it! God save us from it!" —Alan Cairns, "Calvinism What It Is And What It Is Not"

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Piper was only referring to young reformers, so his quote cannot be taken in a general context as you are doing.

I've seen plenty of vitriol in the name of humility coming from those who are not of the Reformed camp, both here on this board, and in the general church world apart from this board including being refused for several ministry positions and even for several secular work positions because of my theological doctrines. THAT is antagonistic, slight disagreements as to position on nuanced theological elements is not.

In fact (and this is not intended to be a cut but rather an example) did you not formulate a web site primarily for the shooting down of Calvinistic thought? Could not some who hold Calvinistic doctrines see that as an arrogant example of holding your own professed beliefs above others and even working hard to refute their beliefs?

I see that what you have done with your blog is simply what happens in theological circles all the time -- make propositions then defend and rebut the defense when the next point is made. But some would see that as other than standard theological fare, and they have here as well.

#54 glfredrick, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  15. Skandelon

Once again you prove yourself to be an objective and fair individual. :)

I think this is a valid point. It certainly is a "stereotype" in that certainly not all Calvinists are arrogant. I worked with Piper several years ago at an event and he was incredibly humble and gracious, as was Al Mohler and Tom Nettles when I meet them. I think the "tendency" that even these men have attested too is in regard to NEW and especially younger Calvinists. I think it was Sproul who talked about the need to lock a new Calvinist up for a couple years after his conversion so he doesn't do more damage than good (maybe MacArthur?). I'll have to look for that quote.

But, since the resurgence of Reformed theology is largely made up of younger men within the "post-modern" era; through influence of men like Piper, Driscoll, Chandler and the like, the two movements are difficult to separate with regard to the attitude and perception of those who make it up.

Just my perspective.

16. Skandelon

I've continually pointed to that distinction, so I think we are in agreement there.

Yep. There is enough arrogance and immaturity to go around, but that wasn't the subject of the OP...

I started a blog which kindly and respectfully critiqued Calvinistic doctrine so as to help others not make what I believe are interpretive mistakes, as I once did. There is nothing vitriolic about that.

I don't believe people have a problem with respectful and kind disagreements. The problem is prideful and arrogant attitudes which demean the person, rather than maturely addressing the issues at hand.

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

If there is an arrogance of young Reformed, it would seem that it is from a discovery about some of the great "big picture" truths of the Scripture that they have learned, often in opposition of their earlier church training. They are eager to go out and transform the church world and often think that the force of their arguments -- often honed in a pure theological realm via papers and scholarly discussion -- will carry the day in a congregation where people are all over the map with doctrines, beliefs, and level of scholarship.

I have watched this happen on several occasions when young seminary students inherit their first pulpit. This further hardens the congregation against the very scriptural position that they ought to at least respectfully consider, and as the hardening against "Calvinism" continues, it feeds into a worldview where Reformed doctrine is seen as an enemy and a problem instead of a very biblical system that has been held by the majority position in the church since its inception.

Sad how the enemy can use either side to accomplish his own nefarious task of further separating us from God and from each other. :BangHead:

But again, this does not mean that the Reformed Doctrines are the problem. Rather, the sin of the individual who is trying to run ahead of God and fix things on his or her own.

18. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Here's my perspective: I do not accept that "Calvinists are arrogant" as the default. This is nothing but another attempt to get Calvinists to surrender the moral high ground to our attackers. Singling out excited rants as your proof does not make the case. I've seen arrogance, and believe me, Calvinists are not arrogant.

Who is more arrogant: the man that takes no credit for a saved soul, because he knows that only God can win souls to Christ, or the man that claims he is personally responsible for his church "winning" over a million souls to Christ?

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "It is one thing to believe in the Doctrines of Grace, but quite another thing to accept all the encrustations which have formed upon those doctrines and also a very different matter to agree with the spirit which is apparent in some who profess to propagate the pure Truth of God." —Charles Spurgeon, "Rivers of Water in a Dry Place"

20. Skandelon

I agree, but as stated I do believe there is a tendency for new young coverts to give this perception, for the reasons stated by Piper.

The latter is not any more representative of one system over the other. It is representative of someone who doesn't credit God with salvation, which is not the view of any true Baptist, Calvinistic or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.