1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Refusing to go to work

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    .......What I find interesting is this desire to hold out for the right job. Scott would rather not work than work a job he doesn’t like.

It’s not just Scott who does it. It’s kind of an upper-middle class phenomenon in America. College graduates hold out for a dream job that doesn’t really exist. Meanwhile, hungrier and harder working students trying to climb the socio-economic ladder continue to take more advantage of a system that rewards hard work… thereby disadvantaging lazier, idealistic, rich kids who are looking for a fast-forward.

It’s a cultural disadvantage facing the suburbs right now. Somewhere, somehow, they have bought into a lie that pursuing the American Dream is easy. And a good job is their birthright.

A trip into American history only reveals the opposite to actually be true.

More Here

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was recently unemployed for several months.

After looking longing and hard for a job in my chosen career field, I had to settle for something else.

Oh well... It helps pay the bills.

It seems the people mentioned in the article refuse to "settle". They want it all RIGHT NOW... or they just won't work at all, by golly.

#2 carpro, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2010
  3. targus

targus New Member

The other downside to these kids holding out for that special job offer is that the longer and longer that they wait the less and less relevant their college degree becomes.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

I predict that half the kids who graduated from college this year will NEVER break even on their outlay in time and money. They have bought the American myth that "anyone can grow up to be the president."

5. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I recently interviewed a canidate for a job in IT. He had not worked in six years, said he wanted to take some time off. Needless to say, he didn't get the job.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm about 50/50 on this. Now I've got a terminal degree so my perspective is a bit different. Also my particular field of work demands higher degrees. From what I've spent on education to what I make it certainly is worth it imho.

That said I've also got a friend who graduated with me, he went and got an AA at a local community college and was working the whole time. He works in a technology field and says the degree is just there for looks. He took half of what he would have spent on a full college education during those four years and invested it. Um, let's just say even in spite of our current troubles his portolio vs. my portfolio is ridiculous. He also has worked himself up to be a CIO for a good sized company.

We do need to have a serious conversation as a society about the nature of higher education and whether we need to require people to have completed it in order be accepted as competent in our workforce.

I still believe this dream.

7. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

The guy in the article is an idiot for declining that job he interviewed for. I would never do that. When my current job with the Census Bureau ends, I will immediately begin looking for another job. Another good thing to do is save money in preparation for future needs. Right now I don't know what to do with all of my money, so I'm saving it to pay for things in between jobs.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are correct. Sadly I even know of a pastor guilty of this. He is no longer pastoring a church and, as far as I know, does not have a job to support himself, wife, and children. Sad.

9. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I hated my job and didn't like a lot of the people I had to work with or for, but I took pride (not all pride is sinful) in doing a good job. I worked the same job for 28 years until I retired. These days we have too many people who are too lazy to work for a living. Many live on the streets and stay drunk or high. Many more who have homes stay drunk or high. Still many more prefer to steal what others worked hard to get. I guess they figure why work for it when you can steal it? There's also the attitude of "If I can't afford what you've got, I don't want you to have it."

Too many take no pride in doing a good job; I saw a lot of that working all those years at a VA Medical Center. They do as little as possible and somehow get away with it. When I didn't give my all on my job (despite hating it), I felt guilty. Too many feel no guilt about cheating their employers or even stealing from them.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Maybe I am way off base, but I always considered my number one job to provide for my family, and let God provide the way for me to earn a living according to my abilities. It seems the whole focus here is what me, myself, and I are going to do, without consideration of anything else. When I got married, and especially when I had kids (my wife had them), my job was to provide. I never thought much about the upward mobility career track. Never gave it much thought. With an associates from the GI bill, I have been a communications tech in the Navy, a Pepsi machine repairman, a Prudential Agent, a Lincoln Insurance Agent, a postal clerk, a postal electronics tech, a CVS assistant manager, a Dollar General assistant manager, and am now a substitute teacher K-12.

These are all very modest incomes, but, was able to tithe, our house is paid for, both kids have bachelor degrees with no loans, and we manage to go on a vacation every year.

In today's economy (and it may never get better, maybe we have seen to peak of the American dream), you better grab whatever job there is and give thanks to the Lord for it.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Amen, Brother!!! :applause:

12. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Some of the 'privileged' will discover with sadness just how 'privileged' they were.... when they devalued the work and earnings and positions of their parents .....and didn't recognize the hard work their folks put into where they got... chose to wait for the 'right job' ....and then discover they weren't really as 'in' with the in crowd as they thought they were: and they neglected to prove theirselves in any work.

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Some of the 'privileged' will discover with sadness just how 'privileged' they were.... when they devalued the work and earnings and positions of their parents .....and didn't recognize the hard work their folks put into where they got... chose to wait for the 'right job' ....and then discover they weren't really as 'in' with the in crowd as they thought they were: and they neglected to prove theirselves in any work.

And then they will move back in with Mommy and Daddy and mooch off of them. Mommy and Daddy need to grow a back bone and help Jr. understand the value of earning what you have. "Get a job and pay us rent (plus keep the grass cut, etc.) or go in the military and learn what real men and women do for a living, but you are not going to mooch here." Probably won't happen though.