1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Refuting Catholics...Scripture or Chick tracts?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by D28guy, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Good point, Matt. (Though one could argue that Arians were "proto-JWs"; still the Arians were the novel proclaimers of heresy.)

Mike, everyone allegedly using the "same truth standard" (sola scriptura) hasn't prevented protestantism from fracturing into thousands of sects, each claiming that the Holy Spirit is guiding them to their mutually contradictory interpretations on dozens of important issues. The Holy Spirit doesn't contradict Himself. This whole "beautiful" system of "checks and balances" simply doesn't exist in Protestantism; otherwise these conflicts would be resolved and unity would be attained. The reality is that schisms are endlessly multiplying because there is no commonly agreed upon interpretitive framework (Apostolic Tradition) and there is a denial of the God-ordained authority of the Apostolic Church (ie,if people disagree, they just break off and form a new schismatic sect).

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

MattBlack,

Oh my.

Matt...surely you dont believe, you cant possibly believe, that the (((Catholic Church))) was...there...at...the...beginning????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

When you read the book of Acts, you actually see a bunch of finely robed and crowned clerics, practicing magic and performing paganised rituals, with a massive lumbering world wide bohemoth of hierarchial control and oppression?

What we see "at the beginning" is simple born again believers meeting in homes, God gifting them through the Holy Spirit, praising and worshipping God in truth and simplicity, and then scattering out into their communities and sharing with people they know the goodness of God and the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

In other words...something very similar to evangelicalism/pentecostalism.

It has taken 2000 years of error on top of heresy on top of blashphemy on top of false teaching for the Catholic Church to come to what it is now.

Along with the blood of thousands...if not millions...of the saints of God on her blasphemous hands.

So I guess in one sense the "Catholic Church" was sort of "there at the beginning"

They used to use christians as torches in the early times.

Sadly,

Mike

3. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Doubting Thomas...

Just as God told us in advance that it would be..

"Let your brother be fully convinced in his own mind"..."who are you to judge anothers servant?...to His own master he will stand or fall, and God will make him stand."

Of course He doesnt. Can you quote where I have said He does?

The problem is that none of us have *perfect* hearing while we are in the flesh.

Sometimes those on both sides of an argument are sharing different "viewpoints" of the same truth. Sometimes truth can be found on both sides. But all the time to 2 sides are keeping each other in check from running too far out of balance.

It most certainly does. Praise God \o/ that it does!

Like the Jehovahs Wittnesses?

David Koresh?

The Mormons?

Jim Jones?

Mary Baker Eddys group?

The Catholic Church?

The only "tradition" we are to have anything to do with is the "tradition" of turning only to Gods scriptures...as God admonishes, with the Holy Spirit as our guide...as God admonishes.

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for reproof, correction, doctrine, instruction in rightiousness, that the man of God might be complete, and thoroughly equipped for every good truth"

"When He, the Holy Spirit has come, He will guide you into all truth"

The Catholic Church lies to their people and commands them that Christ only meant the Apostles there. Which is just as crazy as somebody telling people that "you must be born again" only applied to Nicodemous.

Of course, the Catholic Church has to lie to their people about turning to the scriptures themselves apart from the Catholic Truth Gestapo.

If people do it the blashphemies and falsehoods of the Catholic Church will be seen.

So what if they do?

Here is some news for you:

There is only ONE church of Jesus Christ on earth today. ONE body of Christ.

In the evangelical world the different "denominations" do not change in the least the fact that there is only one body of Christ on earth. Not many.

That one church is nothing more than...

All born of the Spirit people.

The oganisation they affiliate with is irrelvent.

We, born again people, are all brothers and sisters, whether we be Methodist or Pentecostal or Baptist or Charismatic or Assemblies of God or Church of Christ, etc etc etc.

And in all of these man made "organisations" there is a mixture of born again people along with some lost people who are "church members" or regular attnders who are there for any number of reasons.

There are even some born again people...its proof that God does miracles...in the Catholic Church.

But surely not many, and I would venture to say almost never, in The Hierarchy.

Blessings,

Mike

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh my.

Matt...surely you dont believe, you cant possibly believe, that the (((Catholic Church))) was...there...at...the...beginning????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

</font>[/QUOTE]To a certain extent, yes, not exactly in the form in which it exists today but, yes, the Church has always been there and it has been called the Catholic Church from the earliest times eg: Ignatius of Antioch, appointed Bishop of that See by the writer of the 4th Gospel, refers to the 'Catholic Church' in 107AD

What a ridiculous assertion, which demeans the blood of the Church's martyrs who were murdered by the Roman State. How on earth could you say that the Catholic Church did that to its own martyrs from early times?

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Yep, He has. That's how we got Apostolic Tradition. Do try to keep up. It extremely obviously doesn't work with individuals - that much is crystal clear.

6. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

It is pretty obvious that the Holy Spirit indwells individual believers (Rom.8:15-16)

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: (Romans 8:15-16)

Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would be IN those who belong to Him:

And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. (John 14:16-17)

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yep, He has. That's how we got Apostolic Tradition. Do try to keep up. It extremely obviously doesn't work with individuals - that much is crystal clear. </font>[/QUOTE]Your profile says baptist, but you use the "we" in reference to apostolic tradition. :confused:
    I don't ever recall baptist doctrine being under the authority of apostolic tradition. Are you using the "baptist" moniker to hide your true affiliation to the RCC?

8. Doubting Thomas

Just as God told us in advance that it would be..

"Let your brother be fully convinced in his own mind"..."who are you to judge anothers servant?...to His own master he will stand or fall, and God will make him stand." </font>[/QUOTE]Umm...tolerating varying convictions about eating certain foods is a lot different than whether or not we should tolerate heresies (ie false concepts about God, Christ, and/or salvation). :rolleyes:

Of course He doesnt. Can you quote where I have said He does?</font>[/QUOTE]You didn't explicitly say that, but your ecclessiology implies as much.

That's simply not true. How have Calvinists kept numbers of non-Calvinists from espousing Open Theism (and of course Open Theists too subscribe to sola Scriptura and therefore claim their view is "the truth")? How have Arminians kept folks from becoming hyper-Calvinists (and hyper-calvinists are also sola Scripturists)? The fact is that Arminianism and Calvinism aren't merely "different 'viewpoints'" but are mutually contradictory concepts of God and salvation and interpreting the Scriptures.

It most certainly does. Praise God \o/ that it does!</font>[/QUOTE]It may exist inside the historic Church, but it certainly doesn't exist among the ever expanding plethora of schismatic denominations. Otherwise folks wouldn't be continuously splitting over doctrine.

True checks and balances have existed in the historic Apostolic Church when councils have met to answer doctrinal novelty and the threat of heresy. The Holy Spirit has guided the Church to define the limits of orthodoxy (and the limits of the canon of Scripture for that matter). Those such as the Arians (who by the way claimed to only be "going by the Book") were determined by the whole Church to be teaching heresy contrary to what the Church had always believed about Christ and were thus outside the Church--not merely a denomination allegedly within the Church. The Church could do this by the authority given to her by Christ (to bind and loose), and under the Holy Spirit's guidance as she maintained the Apostolic Tradition expressed in the Sacred Scriptures as well as in her liturgical worship, prayers, and baptismal confessions and as summarized in (and interpreted by) the "rule of faith" (and later the Creeds).

Contrast this with the Pollyanna view that the plethora of coexisting denominations, all subscribing to sola Scriptura (but each with their own man-made interpretive traditions), yet with their mutually contradictory teachings and which are endlessly fragmenting, somehow constitutes the one Body of Truth which is somehow keeping the One Faith despite having the faith distorted at times beyond recognition the more it is mutated from Apostolic Christianity by folks with their "private interpretations".
    Like the Jehovahs Wittnesses?

David Koresh?

The Mormons?

Jim Jones?

Mary Baker Eddys group?

</font>[/QUOTE]These are merely examples of heretics whose private interpretations have led them and their followers even further away from historical orthodox Christianity.

Paul admonishes the Thessolonians to hold to the tradition whether it's oral or written (2 Thess 2:15). He doesn't differentiate between the authority of the two (both come from the same source and testify to the same truth--Christ), nor does he say there is a time limit to how long the former are to be observed. Nor does he imply that all the oral would be ultimately written down later in Scripture.

Yes, He will guide them--THE CHURCH--into all truth. He's not guiding the ever expanding schismatic fellowships into their ever multiplying mutually contradictory "truths" (as they see it). True, in His providence God has kept some denominations from completely abandoning historic orthodox biblical Christianity...but that's inspite of sola Scriptura not because of it. :cool:

True, and it's that visible body which has visible succession from the Apostles which has maintained the Apostolic Tradition. It's not some nebulous group of sects/denominations which have come up with their disparate versions of the truth based on their own man-made interpretations of Scripture, yet all under the banner of sola Scriptura have split from the original visible body. As the splits continue to multiply the further one gets away from the Truth.

Which begs the question how is one "born of the Spirit". Different groups give conflicting answers. :cool:

The bible says that the Church is the pillar and the ground of truth. It's not an amorphous hodge-podge of schismatic denominations and doctrinal relativism.

9. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Yes - the HS indwells you and I and Doubting Thomas and I'm guessing everyone else on this thread. But He doesn't as individuals lead us into all truth - that much is plain - otherwise we wouldn't even be having this debate.

10. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Yep, He has. That's how we got Apostolic Tradition. Do try to keep up. It extremely obviously doesn't work with individuals - that much is crystal clear. </font>[/QUOTE]Your profile says baptist, but you use the "we" in reference to apostolic tradition. :confused:
    I don't ever recall baptist doctrine being under the authority of apostolic tradition. Are you using the "baptist" moniker to hide your true affiliation to the RCC?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I don't blame you for being confused!

About a year ago I was temporarily suspended from membership because the Mods thought the same. I gave a clarification of my position at the beginning of April last year and was readmitted. I'll see if I can find it for you.

11. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Matt Black,

I said...

And you said...

Matt, "Catholic" simply means "universal". So of course the universal church was called that in 107AD.

Thats not what I'm talking about, and you know it. I'm not talking about the *literal* meaning of "catholic". In its literal sense, we all are part of the catholic church, me included.

I'm talking about the religious organisation known today as the Catholic Church, based in Rome, with its Popes, gold encrusted cathedrals, gold encrusted crowns for Mary, riches, hierarchial complexity and idolatrous false teachings and blashphemies firmly entreached.

It took centuries for what we see today as the Catholic Church to become what it is. It was no more there at the beginning 2000 years ago than you and I were.

Me...

You...

It wasnt meant literally. I thought it would have been obvious, but I guess I should have put an emoticon there. Sorry.

All I was saying was that one thing that the Catholic Church did much later...slaughter the saints of God...took place in the 1st century by the Romans.

Hence, in that sense the Catholic Church was there.

But not literally of course.

Sorry for the confusion.

Grace and peace,

Mike

12. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Matt,

Me...

You...

Impossible.

The tradition of the Catholic church goes beyong scripture.(Thats the understatement of the millenium)

The word of God declares...

"Then the Pharisees and scribes asked Him, "Why do Your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashed hands?"

6 He answered and said to them, "Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written: 'This people honors Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me. 7 And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.'

8 "For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men*--the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do." 9 He said to them, "All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother'; and, 'He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.'

11 But you say, 'If a man says to his father or mother, "Whatever profit you might have received from me is Corban"--' (that is, a gift to God), 12 then you no longer let him do anything for his father or his mother, 13 making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do."

I have the scriptures here with me...its no problem.

I cant "see" for you brother...I can only point you to where the light is.

God bless,

Mike

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

What makes you think I'm talking about the Roman Catholic Church?

....which brings me back to my answer to Webdog. Unfortunately I've been unable to find the thread where I clarified my position so here's a summary:-

1. I go to a Baptist church. I disagree with a lot of what is taught there but we (Mrs B in particular) have lots of friends there and get a lot out of it nevertheless and we (Mrs B in particular) are loathe to leave. So my profile says 'Baptist'. However, you will note that in all conscience I don't post in the 'Baptist Only' fora here because I don't agree with much Baptist theology.

2. There seems to be a rampant assumption that if one believes in the epistemological value of Church Tradition, then one is automatically a Roman Catholic. That's not correct - neither generally nor with regard to me (although I was raised Catholic); Lutherans, Orthodox and Anglicans also highly value Apostolic Tradition and in particular the Early Church Fathers. My theological sympathies lie, as it happens, more with Anglicanism and Lutheranism.

14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Doubting Thomas,

Referring to Romans 14, you said...

Read it again. It was more than just eating foods. It was eating meat that had been offered to demons. That was a real religious "hot button" topic of that day. As was "sabbath days" and "religious festivals" which were also mentioned in this and other companion passages.

And the scriptural admonition is to allow the differences of views.

And thats why we have no "Truth Gestapo" in the body of Christ, like the JW's, Mormons, and Catholic Church do.

Me...

You...

I'm afraid it is.

By vigorously argueing their view of the scriptures. Sometimes they havent kept them from that, but sometimes they have.

By vigorously argueing their view of the scriptures. Just as God admonishes us to do.

Nonsense. Of course thats all it is.

Both the born again Calvinist and the born again Arminian are going to heaven when the pass on, and they are co-laborers in the harvest while here. Those of Arminian view and those Calvinistic leanings have both brought mulitudes into the body of Christ by proclaiming the same gospel of Jesus Christ.

False. They both proclaim the same gospel and they both agree on mulitiplied hundreds of different topics that can be discussed. They disagree in *some* areas...and God tells us to "Let your brother be fully convinced in his own mind".

Regarding the "checks and balances" system God has provided...

You said...

Of course the Catholic Church must command their people to believe that nonsense. What exists inside what you call the "historic Church" is church sponsored blasphemy, idolatry, false teaching and heresy.

Heresy is recognised in the true body of Christ. We easilly call out the Jehovahs Witnesses, Mormons, Catholic Church, Mary Baker Eddy, etc etc etc using Gods scriptures alone.

In the Catholic Church the heresy and blaphemies can not be called that because they have duped their people into believing the "Tradition" of their church and the "Teaching Magesterium" of their church is protected from error by God.

Pretty slick, huh?

Me...

You...

Correct. All born again people. There is no promise that God will guard the traditions, teachings, and doctrinal purity of any organised body on earth.

No...bo...dy on earth has perfect hearing...none of us. But when we feed on the scriptures, with a humble and teachable heart, beautiful things happen.

But some with golden crowns and robes and thrones and golden staffs have even worse hearing than most...sometimes they have become completly deaf or have never heard for one second of their life.

You better believe He is. Unless one of them get all "full of themseves" and start thinking that they are the God ordained truth dispensers, who gives out truth...without any possibility of error...for the masses to blindly accept. Any teacher or group with any sense will always tell their people to check them out according to the scriptures, and seek wisdom from God alone.

The principle that we call "sola scriptura" simply can not be over emphasised. It is so very very very VERY important.

All one has to do is look at the mess that happens when that principle is ignored...

Jehovahs Witnesses.
    Jim Jones.
    Mormons.
    Christian Science.
    Catholic Church.
    David Koresh.

Me...

You...

And there are those who believe in the easter bunny and the tooth fairy as well.

God bless,

Mike

15. Doubting Thomas

In historical context, these "hot button" topics were during a transition period between when the Church being exclusively made up of Jews to a body where there was neither Jew nor Greek. Paul's point is that keeping these Jewish festivals and dietary laws had no bearing on salvation. Jews were neither commended nor condemned for merely continuing to observe these practices (unless they were claiming these practices were necessary for salvation). Clearly, this is a different issue entirely from false teachers that distort the true nature of God, Christ, and/or salvation.

You're still making quite a leap. Paul makes no allowances no "differences of views" on what is sound doctrine regarding the true nature of God, Christ, and/or true salvation teaching.

God invested the Apostles and the visible church they founded with the authority to bind and loose and the promise that the Holy Spirit would guide them (collectively) into all truth. If you want to disparage the exercise of this authority as a "truth gestapo", I suppose you will have to answer to God for that some day. The Apostles and early Christians would find your charge absurd given that the Church is the ground and pillar of truth (not "truthS"), and they were to contend earnestly for the faith (not "faithS").

"By vigorously argueing their view of the scriptures. Sometimes they havent kept them from that, but sometimes they have."</font>[/QUOTE]That's really a non-answer. Besides it doesn't address the fundamental issue of Calvism and Arminianism ascribing mutually contradictory attributes to God as we'll see below...

By vigorously argueing their view of the scriptures. Just as God admonishes us to do. </font>[/QUOTE]Again a meaningless non-answer. These arguments have not led to a consensus. Each side is firmly entrenched in their respective positions with their mutually contradictory views of God.

Nonsense. Of course thats all it is.</font>[/QUOTE]Nonsense. They differ on the most fundamental issue of all--the character of GOD. One side's "god" is the god who monergistically determines whom he will bestow eternal life upon irrespective of any will, desires, or response of his creatures--his creatures basically have no choice in the matter. The other side's "god" is the one who truly offers salvation to everyone but allows creatures to receive or reject His offer based on the free will He created in them. So the two ascribe mutually contradictory characteristics to "god" (and to man as well). If position A is true about God, then position B is necessarily false (and vice versa). Therefore the alleged commonality of "faith" breaks down at the very point of the object of that faith as there are two rival concepts of "God" being expoused. No amount of kum-bah-ya relativism can reconcile these mutually contradictory "gods".

Of course the Catholic Church must command their people to believe that nonsense. </font>[/QUOTE]Not nonsense; it's fact, irrespective of the Roman Catholic bogeyman you keep bringing up.

Yet your dubious ecclessiology prevents you from seeing the mutually contradictory concepts of God (described above) within your own sola scripturist ranks. Sad. :(

Correct. All born again people. There is no promise that God will guard the traditions, teachings, and doctrinal purity of any organised body on earth.</font>[/QUOTE]He promised He'd guide the Church founded by the apostles--which was (and still is) a visible, organized community, mind you--into all truth. Inspired Scripture commands us to keep the Tradition whether delievered orally or written (2 Thess 2:15). The visible historic Church has kept this authentic Tradition since the days of the Apostles who enjoined them to keep it.

True, Scriptures must be approached with humility and a teachable heart. But part of that humility and teachableness is recognizing the God ordained authority of the Apostolic Church and the Apostolic tradition. It's pride that deludes people in thinking that they can arrive at the correct interpretation outside the life of the Holy Spirit in the Apostolic Church which has kept the "rule of faith" delivered by the Apostles and indeed from Christ Himself.

You better believe He is. </font>[/QUOTE]No, for the mere fact that God doesn't lead into contradiction regarding the truth.

The principle that we call "sola scriptura" simply can not be over emphasised. It is so very very very VERY important.</font>[/QUOTE]This principle, "sola scriptura", is in truth very very very unbiblical, unhistorical, and unworkable.

You keep throwing out that canard. These are groups which are even more extreme in rejecting the Apostolic Tradition and replacing it with their own man-madetraditions.

You...

And there are those who believe in the easter bunny and the tooth fairy as well.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Herein lies the crux of the matter. You and other modern day sola Scripturists seemingly have a high view of Scripture (while manipulating it to arrive at their desired conclusions), yet you have a low view of the historic church founded by Christ and the Apostles (those who are in the tradition of the "magesterial Reformation" may be the exception). Those of us who recognize the historic apostolic Church have a high view of both Scripture and the Church, which wrote the New Testament Scriptures (and proclaimed the Christological interpretation of the Old), defined the limits of the canon, and which has guarded the correct interpretation of it as found in the Apostolic tradition.

16. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bible cautions us that we should be aware of false prophets. False prophets usually disguised themselves with a good name of a reputable denomination.

Matt,

1) Do you deny that Mary is Omni-present?

2) But do you notice that RC is praying everywhere in the world to the Holy Mother Mary?

3)Doesn't it mean that RC believes the Omni-Presence of Mary in reality?

4) Then doesn't it mean that RC is Heretic ?
    Would you not condemn RC as much as you argued with me and others, for the defense of RC theories?

17. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Matt Black,

1) Because that is the topic of conversation on this thread.

2) And because your responses...concerning Catholicsm(positive) and Evangelicalism(negative)...are the classic, stock, word for word answers I hear and read from Catholics all the time.

I've never said you are a Catholic, but you are clearly regurgitating the classic arguements that Catholic apologists recite all the time.

God bless,

Mike

18. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Doubting Thomas,

Gotta go to work. I'll repond to you latest to me after I get back in the early AM.(my time)

Mike

19. Doubting Thomas

Looking forward to it. ;)
    (At any rate, the earliest I'll be able to respond to your response will be tomorrow at lunch. If I'm really busy at work, however, I my not be able to respond until Monday. Later...)

20. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Thomas, wow! Great post!

Eliyahu, following your numbered paragraphs:-

1. Yes

2. No they're not - or if they are they are doing so in disobedience to or in ignorance of Catholic dogma.

3. No

4. No. Mistaken in part, as all ecclesial bodies who possess only part of the Apostolic Tradition are, but heretical, no.