1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Regarding those who have never heard...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Alive in Christ, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Well, we should continue to take the gosple to them. Nobody is argueing against that. They have a measure of Light as it is, but the fullness of revelation is lacking.

Of course we should continue to spread the gosple.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Believe that God will save those like Infants and challenged peoples by His application of effectual grace on their behalf, BUT believe that ALL will be held accountible to God based upon being sinners and now in age of accountibility!

This "theory" is like one I heard while in College, that God elected to save ALL in Christ, and that ONLY those who have heard AND rejected Him will be lost!

Why urgency to preach jesus to whole earth, if by hearing and than rejecting Him, that condemns them from once being saved state?

#22 JesusFan, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
  3. Alive in Christ

Jesusfan posted...

Although I am advocating for the "inclusivist" view for the most part, I DO NOT agree with what you posted above.

I believe that is going a bit too far with it.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the Bible clearly teaches general revelation, revelation through nature. Man can come to an understanding of the existence of God and somewhat of His nature through general revelation, but there is no salvation in the Bible apart from evangelization.

I do not believe that general revelation includes any human made religion. They are all idolatry, and thus an abomination to God, as I read once more in my devotions once again this morning. All human religions turn people completely away from God, as Romans 1 clearly teaches.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've got me! I don't even know what "Jersey Shore" is. Don't have it over here.
    They want to endlessly study it without believing. Japanese love to study, but not to commit.

6. Alive in Christ

John of Japan...

So, millions upon millions of poor unfortunate souls will spend eternity in hell because of the unfortunate, unevangelized location where they lived?

(some desert Island, or deep in the jungles, etc?)

You honestly think that God is completely impotant, and He does not have the ability, or desire, to give "light" to these extremely needy people?

Even though the scriptures tell us that God gives Light to every person born into this world?

I am not against evangelism at all. God tells us to evangelize, so we do. I do.

But I do NOT believe that God does not know how to evangelise. I believe that He is the BEST at it.

#26 Alive in Christ, Aug 25, 2011
  7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I believe all who do not know and believe in Christ are destined for an eternal Hell. But it is certainly not because of their location. That's a totally unfounded idea. They will go to Hell. I'd rather not believe that, but I have to because that is what God's special revelation teaches.
    I've never interacted with you on the BB until now, but this kind of rhetoric leaves me completely unmoved and even repelled. Don't put words into my mouth.
    God gives light to every person born into the world. This is true. However, that person must respond to the light they have been given. At that point they will be given more light, and God will send someone. That is where us missionaries come in. The Bible says that all who seek will find (Matt. 6:6-7).

In the book Cowboy Boots in Darkest Africa, Evangelist Bill Rice (my mother's uncle), tells of going to a pygmy tribe deep in the African jungle with a missionary and a translator. This tribe had never seen a white man, and were very afraid. But there was an old man who, when he heard the Word of God, said, "I thought it must be that way. When I was young I climbed a tree and said, 'God, where are you?'" But the man was not saved from his sin until he trusted Christ as Savior.

The Bible is very clear that God uses human instruments to proclaim His message, and has no other plan.

"14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!" (Rom. 10)

Beyond that, logically speaking you would have to prove there is good in human-made religion in order to prove your point. Otherwise you are suggesting an a-theistic (note the dash) method of salvation. Study comparative religions. Cultures only seek the spiritual through their religions. There are no records in human history of people in non-Christian cultures seeking God outside of their religion.

So, let's try Buddhism. What good can you find in Buddhism? I'll be waiting for your response.

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are exactly right...:thumbs::thumbs::applause::applause:

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The more I think about it the less this statement makes sense linguistically. In the NT, "evangelize" is the verb euaggelizw, meaning according to the Fribergs' Anlex:
    So to evangelize is to give good news. In the NT the word occurs 52 times, exclusively used of humans except in Revelation 10:7, where God gives good news to His servants the prophets, and several verses where an angel gives good news.

So where do you get God evangelizing the lost? That is not in the Bible.

#29 John of Japan, Aug 25, 2011
  10. Alive in Christ

John of Japan...

Thats a wonderful passage of scripture. Wonderfull truth. And we christians do evangelize, and we will always do it.

But, again...what about the millions, and probably billions, who lived for centuries after centuries, and centuries, with the missionaries not getting to them. And there are some dying right now who havent been evangelized!

Darn the luck...Hell is thier doom.

Well, I say, because of the testimony of the scriptures, that hell is NOT automatically their doom.

God says that He gives "LIGHT" to every person who comes into the world. And if God gives "light",(spiritual revelation) then God can cause that light to be effectual.

I find it just stunning that you, and others, believe that we humans can evangelize, and yet....God Almighty....CAN'T!!

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are following your emotions here, not the precious Word of God.
    The Bible is very clear that Christ is the only way (John 14:6), and that there is no other name under Heaven for salvation (Acts 4:12).

In fact, the verse you keep referring to proves that very thing. John 1:9 says, "That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world." John is referring directly to Jesus Christ as the Light of the world. You are stretching the Scriptures badly to make them refer to anything else but Christ, including "spiritual revelation" as you say it. The Light is Christ, nothing else.

Here is how Christ lights all who are in the world. Everything good in the world comes from Christ through His servants. All over the world the first hospitals were built by missionaries, the first charities were started by Christians, education was started by Christians. Missionaries are virtually always the first to put a language into written form. An excellent book on this is, What if Jesus Had Never Been Born? by James Kennedy.

If a non-believer among the billions who do not know Christ is sincere about seeking the truth, he will find that Christ is the Light. He will learn what I've just said, that all good things come from Christ. Islam destroys. Buddhism makes poor. All religions destroy. Only Christ brings good.
    This kind of rhetoric harms your cause. No one is saying that God cannot evangelize.

12. Alive in Christ

John of Japan...

Well, praise the Lord! I think you are coming around. You are saying the spiritual revelation I have been referring to as being given to those who never heard is being given through Christ, while I was having it come from God the Father.

I've got no problem with that. Either one will due. The Holy Spirit could be giving it as well.

We are making progress. It appears that you are finally "getting" what I am saying, and you seem to be agreeing. :thumbs:

Praise the Lord!

13. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No....he is not agreeing to your error.He is trying to help you come to truth.

14. Alive in Christ

Well, you could be right. :wavey:

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

God will get the gospel to any "whosoever will" no matter where they are.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I don't think we have agreed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you appear to believe that someone can be saved without the Gospel being proclaimed to them, on their own somehow. I don't believe that and never will.

17. Alive in Christ

John of Japan...

Oh my goodness, no!! Not on their own.

The Triune God will be STRONGLY involved in any encounter of revelation regarding anyone being saved.

#37 Alive in Christ, Aug 25, 2011
  18. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Uh, let me see. I remember a scripture verse-um, where was it. Wait a minute. It's coming to me.

Got it!

I Corinthians 1:21
    And I'll repeat this verse first quoted by convicted 1. Romans 1:16
    I really don't see much wiggle room here. People are saved by hearing the gospel, and believing. Without hearing the gospel, they have no hope.

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm with Amy, in that God will get the Good News to every man though the light He put into all the world. I'm very cautious about about drawing human lines that have to be crossed or making specific rules that others must follow.

20. Alive in Christ

John of Japan...

I said...

And you said...

Yes you are. You are clearly and consistantly advocating that the only possible way to get the gosple to people is through the normal methods of human evangelism.

Verbal wittnesing
    Tracts
    Missionaries
    etc etc etc

You are saying that it is either THAT or NOTHING. Humans do it, or they burn in hell.

And All I am saying is that in the "hard cases", such as people on little islands for centuries, and it deep forests for centuries, Almighty God can easily give saving revelation to these ones, so that they have the same opportunity to be saved as the others. The scriptures are clear that He CAN do it, and that He WANTS to do it.

The scriptures are clear that God is no respector of persons, and that He gives "Light"..(spiritual revelation) to every person who comes into the world.

#40 Alive in Christ, Aug 25, 2011