1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Regardless of what you think of the "no-smoking" ads, evidently they work

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Sep 9, 2013.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/09/09/cdc-hard-hitting-anti-smoking-ads-save-lives/

Graphic advertisements, featuring real people living with the debilitating and disfiguring effects of smoking, are saving lives, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

New research published in The Lancet medical journal suggests the first series of ads in the "Tips from Former Smokers" campaign has encouraged at least 100,000 smokers to successfully quit – twice the number CDC officials had expected.

"We think this is a testament to the incredible power of the real stories that these people told," said Dr. Tim McAfee, director of the CDC's Office on Smoking and Health. "This is exactly what smokers had told us they thought would work the best to support them and motivate them to quit."
    Hard as some of them are to look at, they definitely get one's attention. I'd be curious to know how they figured out the number of people who decided to quit, as a result of the ads, though. Seems subjective to me, but maybe someone familiar with demographics and statistics can explain it.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a recovering smokaholic (just kidding) I smoked for 19 years. It is the height of stupidity to light anything on fire and then intentionally inhale the smoke from it.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or, as my departed father-in-law once said when he decided to give up cigars; "I decided to quit when I realized that there was a fire on one end and a fool on the other."
    Sums it up pretty accurately, don't you think?