1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Regenerated/saved "through faith"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, May 5, 2012.

1. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Biblicist,

Paul believed Jesus when Jesus appeared to him on the road to Damascus. However, Paul had not yet received the Holy Spirit.
    You said people can only believe in Jesus WHEN they receive the Holy Spirit, yet Paul does not receive the Spirit until three days later, and Paul received the Holy Spirit AFTER Paul OBEYED Jesus by going where Jesus said to go.

Are you going to repent now for your false beliefs, and for teaching others falseness?

2. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Paul was converted on the road to damascus, he was born again there by the Grace of God 1 Tim 1:12-14

12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;

13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

Paul then called Jesus Lord Acts 9:5-6

And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

Now Paul wrote later 1 Cor 12:3

3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

3. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Jesus appeared to Paul on the road to Damascus, but that is NOT when Paul received the Holy Spirit. Paul did NOT receive the Holy Spirit until AFTER he OBEYED Jesus by going where Jesus said to go. THEN THREE days later Paul received the Holy Spirit.

Repent for believing in false doctrine. Repent for teaching others false doctrine. Repent for attacking true Christians.

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you own a pair of glasses? I suggest you go get them and read Acts 9:17 and take note of the word "filled"!

I do not know where or from whom you got your theology but it was not from God or the Bible as neither God or the Bible is that ignorant of the truth. The term "filled' has nothing to do with regeneration or indwelling of the Spirit or don't you know that? Go read Ephesians 5:18 where Paul writes those who already have the indwelling Spirit (Eph. 1:13-14), who are already quickened (Eph. 2:1) and yet he tells them to be "filled" with the Spirit!

I will spell it out to you so you can't misunderstand but rather demonstrate you simply pervert God's Word as well as the words of others:

1. They already had the Spirit of God:

Eph. 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

2. They were already quickened by the Spirit:

Eph. 2:1 ¶ And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

3. Yet Spirit quickened and indwelt believers are still commanded to be "filled" with the Spirit:

Eph. 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

So you are wrong about Paul. He was merely "FILLED" with the Spirit - read Acts 9:17 for yourself and this time with your glasses on!

However, even though I have proven you wrong will you admit it? NO! Why? Because you are a heretic and you conscience is seared and your are incapable of seeing or understanding the truth of God's Word. I will tell you what you are going to do. You are going to most likely either make a personal attack upon me since you cannot refute what I said or you will change the subject and most like make a comment on Epheisans 1:13! That is your heretical mentality!

5. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Thats when Jesus converted Paul, on the road of damascus.

Paul was converted on the road to damascus, he was born again there by the Grace of God 1 Tim 1:12-14

12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;

13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. Today 10:53 AM

3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Well, we agree on something! Good job SGM, I couldn't of done it better.

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Bib that post corrected a misconception of mine:
    How and Why on or about noon one day did Saul/Paul pass from unbelief unto belief and I will agree that at this time he did not have the Holy Spirit.For I do not believe he received the Spirit for three days.

If anyone has an answer and BTW I do not, why did Saul/Paul remain blind for three days after Jesus called him?

I agree he did receive the Spirit when Jesus called him otherwise I do not believe he could have called him Lord and he was then filled 3 days later.

Why do you think he remained blind for 3 days?

Posted before I read SM's post we all agree.

#67 percho, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
  8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

There was a dramatic and instant transformation on the road to Damascus. I personally believe that Christ blinded him and left him blind because he needed the time to pray and focus upon the complete change of life and the commission he had been given. He had gone from a Christ hater to a Christ lover and needed that time to gather his thoughts, stablize his emotions and seek the Lord's leadership.

9. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Paul was filled with the Spirit days later, but that was something Christ did for witnessing Purposes at that time, it had nothing to do with when Paul was born again or when the Apostle's were Born Again, even they for purposes of Evangelism. Jesus told His other Chosen Messengers Lk 24:49

And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

Now are we to suppose they were not born again up to the time they were filled with or endued with the Spirit ? No, that would be careless thinking !

As soon as Paul received His filling, what did He begin to do ? Acts 9:20

20 And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.

He preached in the synagogues, he entered into the enemy camp, that took boldness !

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    they were NOT filled with the Holy spirit in the sense of a NT saint until pentacost!

thats when the fullness of the power/presense of the Holy Spirit came to indwell Apsotles/disciples alike!

He could NOT indwell them until the ascension of Christ, and His coming in pentacost, as jesus said to them that hewould be with them now, but IN them at that time of pentacost!

11. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Work Salvation, reject the Gospel of Grace !

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    have a feeling that both jesus and paul would be teaching a "works salvation" by you!

As I just teach what they both did!

13. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

You teach a work salvation and a false christ, see ya at the Judgment !

14. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Biblicist is leading others astray. I hope you think about thanking him for anything.
    Paul did NOT receive the Spirit until three days later. The reason Paul believed in Jesus on the road to Damascus, is that Jesus spoke to Paul.
    Maybe three days means something, maybe because it took that much time to reach Damascus, maybe Jesus wanted him to fast first, since Paul did not eat for those three days. One must be careful when speculating about the reason unless the Bible plainly says something. We must not go beyond what is written.
    Did you not say you believed Paul did NOT receive the Holy Spirit until three days later? It is a custom to call someone Lord in those days. In addition, before Jesus spoke to Paul, a light from heaven flashed around him. Paul was a Jew and believed God was in heaven, so a light from heaven might cause him to say “Lord.”

#74 Moriah, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
  15. Moriah

Moriah New Member

No, Paul did not receive the Holy Spirit until three days after Jesus spoke to him. There is only ONE baptism of the Holy Spirit, Ephesians 4:5, and not different ones as you mistakenly believe and teach.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Holy Spirit, ever since the events in Acts, ALWAYS come to indwell us immediatly when one places faith in Jesus!

17. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Even demons know that there is One God.

A person may or may not receive the Holy Spirit the first time they say they believe in God and Jesus. I know I believed for many years as a Catholic, but I did not receive the Holy Spirit until years later. I did not know through all my years as a Catholic everything they believed in, so do not tell me that I did not receive the Holy Spirit because I was in a Catholic Church. I knew I believed in God and Jesus, and you claim that is all I need to do, but you are wrong.

Go read about the people of Samaria, they believed the word of God and were baptized in the name of Jesus, yet they did not yet receive the Holy Spirit. Are you going to honor that and learn from it?
    Paul believed in Jesus, but did not receive the Holy Spirit until three days later. Do not make up things about Paul, for Paul believed and did not receive the Holy Spirit until three days later.

Do not add to the Bible, do not subtract from it, and do not go beyond what is written.
    God gives the Holy Spirit to those He accepts, Acts 15:8, to those who obey, Acts 5:32. That is the Word of God.

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Luk 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
    Luk 6:47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:
    Luk 6:48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
    Luk 6:49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

HP: This passage dovetails with the ones you are mentioning Moriah. One can hear, an even call Him Lord Lord, yet if obedience is not enjoined, the ruin of their end will be great. Faithful obedience is not optional. It is required.

Co 4:1 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.
    1Co 4:2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

Joh 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
    Joh 14:24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

This business of saying one loves God but their 'love' does not evidently produce obedience by their own testimonies, is not found in the Word of God.

This word is not from God to everyone else. It is to me and should affect my life as well. I need to examine my life before the Lord and His Word, and when I fall short I need to be quick to admit it and to turn from whatever it is that is displeasing to the Lord, asking God for strength and wisdom not to continue to fall into the same traps day after day. Everyone that taketh the name of the Lord should honestly seek to walk even as He walked. Remember, those are NOT my words, nor my commandments, but the Words of the Lord. His commands are NOT grievous by the way. He is no task master. His yoke is easy and His burden light..........for those with a heart of sincere desire to please Him.

1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
    1Jn 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

19. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I tell you, I love giving up sins. People just do not understand how good it feels once you overcome. I love practicing what Jesus teaches; it does get stressful though when the practicing goes on longer with some things than you had hoped it would.

Here are some scriptures that Jesus tells us about practicing what he says.
    Matthew 5:19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 7:24
    [ The Wise and Foolish Builders ] “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.

Matthew 7:26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.

Luke 8:21 He replied, “My mother and brothers are those who hear God’s word and put it into practice.”

Some people work harder at physical fitness, or doing yard work, or their work outside their home, than trying to stop a sin. If they put more effort into doing away with sin, then they might overcome.

Peter tells us that we have to suffer in our bodies sometimes to be done with sin.

1 Peter 4:1 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The sins of: stubbornness, arrogance, lying, misrepresentation of others, slander, disrespect, etc. There are more but I won't mention them. If you love giving them up, then why don't you?
    Before you object, if you want me to point you to the posts that have the evidence I can.