1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Regeneration and Faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jbh28, Feb 15, 2012.

?
  1. Regeneration chronologically precedes faith.

29.4%
  2. Regeneration logically precedes faith but not chronologically.

17.6%
  3. Regeneration and faith happen at the same time.

23.5%
  4. Faith precedes regeneration logically but not chronologically.

5.9%
  5. Faith precedes regeneration chronologically.

23.5%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forest wrote:

Take heed, brethren, lest haply there shall be in any one of you an evil heart of unbelief, in falling away from the living God: Heb 3:12

Behold then the goodness and severity of God: toward them that fell, severity; but toward thee, God`s goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. Ro 11:22

Now I make known unto you brethren, the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye received, wherein also ye stand, by which also ye are saved, if ye hold fast the word which I preached unto you, except ye believed in vain. 1 Cor 15:1,2

but Christ as a son, over his house; whose house are we, if we hold fast our boldness and the glorying of our hope firm unto the end...... for we are become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our confidence firm unto the end: Heb 3:6,14

His redeemed born from above children most definitely can and DO commit the sin of unbelief.

But Christ paid for that sin also.

if we are faithless, he abideth faithful; for he cannot deny himself. 2 Tim 2:13

#41 kyredneck, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012
  2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

What's the difference between conviction and regeneration?

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Conviction is truly realizing one's guilt before an all wise and holy God.

Regeneration is being brought to life when one is placed in Christ(also known as being saved).

IOW, conviction leads to regeneration.

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I have is a Green's interlinear and it's suppose to be based on the Masoretic text. Of course it's just there words not mine. I have an NA/27 too but I can't bring myself to trust a text that even admits it's self that it is based on a discredited Alexandrian text. Yet even it would have to be read backwards in order to come away with prefaith regeneration. I'm convinced some ordinary guy came up with this idea. Most probably Augustine. It must have been wishful thinking or was it?.

I can imagine God is looking down at this poor pitiful man that has absolutely no desire to worship Him. The Lord must be in absolute disgust, but out of His great love, and of course because he elected this man particularity though He doesn't know why. God reaches out and regenerates this man and in so doing changes the man's will forcibly to Love Him. The man blinks a few times and says to himself wow what on earth was that? Then in bewilderment the man stumbles into a church somewhere and hears the gospel. Now they say the man is saved. Not only that it was all of God. As if to dare anyone to not believe it.

Then I read 1st cor 13. There I find what Love is That God really is Love, and this is only a part of it's description.
    1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
    1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

If this is an accurate description at least in part this certainly cannot be a God who is totalitarian where every thought was writen by God . One who would think only of His feeling and could not care less about the man's. He would not think in terms that man is nothing but, instead glories in His creation. I believe there is a relationship between God and man even the lost. His great Love was also shown when He showed interest in the lost. He died for the lost every single one of them because He is Love.

Love never fails. God never fails. How ever man does and if every thought of man was writen by God then God also failed in His Love.
    MB

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every human being born of the union of a man with a wo-man was born, dead in trespasses and sins. This would of course exclude Jesus who was born of the union of God with the virgin Mary.

Prior to Jesus being born of Mary, what did that mean, Joe Bob you are dead in trespasses and sins.

What did it mean while he was breathing in air?

What did it mean when he quit breathing in air?

What did the future hold for Joe Bob?

Was it not that in dying old Joe Bob would be dead?

After Jesus the sinless one was born and God his Father made him to be sin for us who knew no sin and God forsake him because of that sin Jesus died for us. Then three days and three nights later God the Father raised Jesus his Son from the dead. Actually it is said on this day God the Father raised him from the dead Jesus was begotten as the Son of God. Regenerated?

God the Father had made Jesus to be sin for us. Was it for grace that God the Father raised to life again his only begotten Son of woman Son?

Does Joe Bob in Jesus Christ the only one until now that has been given this life from the dead have hope in Christ?

7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dead Spiritually is only a figure of speach. Man's spirit being dead would also mean the whole man is dead. Calvinism in it's delusion of spiritual death has because of this idea also assume since man's spirit is dead and can't hear or understand the gospel. So Calvinist assume the whole thing they assume the spirit is actually dead and they assume the man cannot believe with out being made alive first. Not one word of it true and this is obvious.
    MB

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Spiritual death=seperation from God due to our sins.

Spiritual life=God restoring us back to Him via the shed blood of Jesus.

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes this is true but how do we get Calvinist to see the truth of it?
    MB

10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not think life or death should be qualified as physical and or spiritual.

If Jesus Christ had not been raised from the dead all who have died and will die would be dead forever. It is through Jesus Christ who received the promises we even have the hope of eternal life. That came with his resurrection.

For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: And if Christ be not raised, your faith [is] vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

I believe by his grace means, resurrected from the dead allowing us to be washed in his blood. As in Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, [who is] the faithful witness, [and] the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood. However is he had not been raised from the dead his blood would have been for naught. by the washing of regeneration. That was speaking of the regeneration of Christ for the very reasons stated with scriptures I posted. Without his life from the dead his death would have meant nothing.

11. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

God still fully Sovereign, and He is the originator and completor of salvation!

Just curious, when why the CT discredited?

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

to jbh28

I answered your question. Do you agree or disagree with what I posted earlier? Please let me know.

BTW, how's the new "bundle of joy". I am still engaged in prayer for you guys!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

it was a good answer, thanks. The Holy Spirit is the one that convicts the world of sin because of unbelief. "And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: concerning sin, because they do not believe in me;
    (John 16:8-9 ESV)

Doing very well. She has been doing well at night sleeping...well, except for last night. :) She decided that crying was more fun than sleeping.

Thanks for your prayers!

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I always thought that faith preceded regeneration/newbirth/salvation(different terms for the same thing, salvation).

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Good answer!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: