1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Regeneration and Faith

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God gives us the power and strength...we are responsible for what we do and how we do it..Deut8...then phil 2;

8 All the commandments which I command thee this day shall ye observe to do, that ye may live, and multiply, and go in and possess the land which the Lord sware unto your fathers.

2 And thou shalt remember all the way which the Lord thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.

3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live.

4 Thy raiment waxed not old upon thee, neither did thy foot swell, these forty years.

5 Thou shalt also consider in thine heart, that, as a man chasteneth his son, so the Lord thy God chasteneth thee.

6 Therefore thou shalt keep the commandments of the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, and to fear him.

7 For the Lord thy God bringeth thee into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and depths that spring out of valleys and hills;

8 A land of wheat, and barley, and vines, and fig trees, and pomegranates; a land of oil olive, and honey;

9 A land wherein thou shalt eat bread without scarceness, thou shalt not lack any thing in it; a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills thou mayest dig brass.

10 When thou hast eaten and art full, then thou shalt bless the Lord thy God for the good land which he hath given thee.

11 Beware that thou forget not the Lord thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day:

12 Lest when thou hast eaten and art full, and hast built goodly houses, and dwelt therein;

13 And when thy herds and thy flocks multiply, and thy silver and thy gold is multiplied, and all that thou hast is multiplied;

14 Then thine heart be lifted up, and thou forget the Lord thy God, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage;

15 Who led thee through that great and terrible wilderness, wherein were fiery serpents, and scorpions, and drought, where there was no water; who brought thee forth water out of the rock of flint;

16 Who fed thee in the wilderness with manna, which thy fathers knew not, that he might humble thee, and that he might prove thee, to do thee good at thy latter end;

17 And thou say in thine heart, My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth.

18 But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.

19 And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the Lord thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish.

20 As the nations which the Lord destroyeth before your face, so shall ye perish; because ye would not be obedient unto the voice of the Lord your God.

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm left wondering, why? He's the last I would've expected this from.

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Kyred,
    I do not have a desire to enter into this historical disagreement as such.There was most likely some good and valid points discussed at that time.
    I was not there.Just like the rise of fundamentalists in the 1920's.There was a reason for them at that time. What they are now is something else.

I am in agreement with Trevor Johnson...his article , and his willingness to obey the Lord's command to...Go. I will give an account to God for what I believe and do as a believer,as will we all.

I personally do not consider you a danger to me .The article warns of the danger of not using means.He is not using tricks or unbiblical methods to plant churches...which even some PB sources allow under the idea of God's leading.

The article addresses a needed point of discussion on the relation of regeneration to faith. We say confusion on BB everyday on this very topic.

This issue to me is very similar to the partial preterist/ preterist differences.

They go beyond what I believe to be the biblical position.They say all is fulfilled....I am not following that. You want no missions,no sunday school,no instruments, and foot washing.....you go for it.

I support Trevor Johnson and his family bring th.e gospel and being used of God...putting their life on the line.

I would like you to address how you view.....decree....ordain....predestined, as I offered that in my last post. I see a distinction, do you?

ps.Trevor Johnson does not hold to a general atonement so to suggest he is a "Fullerite" is not accurate.
    here from the reformed reader.

#23 Iconoclast, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
  4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is why it gets difficult to discuss.The article is about the means used of God to have the gospel go worldwide...today. Not about offering a defense of past errors on the extent of the atonement.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    paul said that we MUST take the Gospel out to the world to preach the risen Jesus, and jesus himself said that we to go out in his name and proclaim the message, do you agree with them?

jesus said that you MUST receive him thru faith, in order to get born from above!

You would agree with them, wouldn't you?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    why label us as Fullerites?

CLEAR Biblcal teaching that that we MUT preach jesus to all, that God saves some out from those who hear, and that they enter into salvation on basis of the Cross, received thru faith!

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I could have fun with the MUT slip up...but I will be kind :laugh:

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please read Icons post #6 again including the scripture about this and you should begin to gain understanding and clarity. If not or you don't see it then pm me. Conversation like this, all to often becomes contentious.

#28 Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
  9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I totally agree.

In time God gave his Son, in the flesh.
    In time that Son gave his life, shed his blood as a ransom. Thus justification in time because God then for that obedience unto death, gave his once Son in the flesh life again incorruptible no longer subject to death. Romans 6:9 Acts 13:34 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.

Giving birth to the faith.

Faith came in time after the regeneration in time. Without the resurrection of Christ there would have been no justification nor faith nor imputation of the righteousness of God.

And if Christ be not raised, your faith vain; ye are yet in your sins. 1 Cor 15:17

And he is the head of the body,<the elect from the foundation of the world> the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. Col 1:18

Then the elect have been given the earnest of the Spirit thereby being confident of the selfsame thing for them, in time.

Christ has become their faith.

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    kyredneck

Trevor Johnson firmly holds to Particular redemption...so this charge of following Fullerite teaching does not stand.

I believe the teaching of the bible is to....Go....into all the world...
    14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
    This is a quote from Isa;

7 How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!

8 Thy watchmen shall lift up the voice; with the voice together shall they sing: for they shall see eye to eye, when the Lord shall bring again Zion.

9 Break forth into joy, sing together, ye waste places of Jerusalem: for the Lord hath comforted his people, he hath redeemed Jerusalem.

10 The Lord hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.

I would Invite KYRED, and EWF, to respond to post 15 where I pointed out 11 things from this article,and show me how the writer is not obeying God by going with glad tidings upon the mountains in Indonesia.

i believe this-

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=9250520468

#30 Iconoclast, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
  11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Old line Old Regular Baptists, UB's, and PB's all state they're "calvinistic" and not "calvinists", and I think that's what causes us to be labeled hypers...

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This error did exist in the 1820's by some.many stood against this error at that time.The question is...once that was addressed why have some turned from the mainstream belief of the church...being anti missional?

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

So, ever learning, what is the angst betwixt the OP's article and what the old line baptists hold to, BROTHERS LARRY, STEVEN, AND ANTHONY?????

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is the error that the author in the OP is pointing out. Regeneration cannot come before faith:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://sovereigngracemissiology.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/avoiding-several-sovereign-grace.html[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Note well. If faith came after regeneration, as the author states, then there would be "faithless" regenerated people--an absurdity.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I see faith and regeneration as something that happens simultaneously...or I at least lean that way...

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is indeed correct....

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In post 15...I gleaned 11 points out of the article which i believed was well written. They expressed disappointment and so i have asked for interaction on these points. No one has ever accused me, or in any way mistaken me for an Arminian:laugh::laugh: So I am not sure what they did not care for.They believe missions is not biblical then wonder why a missionary might write against that idea???

Also..KYRED...seemed to indicate that the confessional statement that God has ordained whatsoever comes to pass....is a mistaken view...but has not offered on it.

1._____ God hath decreed in himself, from all eternity, by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will, freely and unchangeably, all things, whatsoever comes to pass; yet so as thereby is God neither the author of sin nor hath fellowship with any therein; nor is violence offered to the will of the creature, nor yet is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established; in which appears his wisdom in disposing all things, and power and faithfulness in accomplishing his decree.
    ( Isaiah 46:10; Ephesians 1:11; Hebrews 6:17; Romans 9:15, 18; James 1:13; 1 John 1:5; Acts 4:27, 28; John 19:11; Numbers 23:19; Ephesians 1:3-5 )

i have asked both men to demonstrate ,or given a biblical reason why they find fault here:thumbs:

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that his point in that reagrd was that regeneration/faith are both happening, do believe that God regenerates us, which causes us to havefaith, buts flip side same coin, happens to us immediantly, NOT God regenerates say a baby , and he accepts jesus when 30!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF the Hypers cal are indeed right, jesus was wrong to demand his people to take His message out to allends of earth, paul was wrong about sending forth themessage, and Jesus will NEVER return, for Bible state the message goes out to entire world, and then the End!

And our bethren seem to hold false view that faith is a work we do, as even that faith is a gift from God!

#39 Yeshua1, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
  20. thisnumbersdisconnected

And that should settle that. But (unfortunately) it won't.