1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Regeneration, Faith / Faith, Regeneration

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by ForumChaplain, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

topic of discussion as noted by Cappie: "Total Depravity"

What does John 1:9 mean to a Calvinist who insists that human beings are so odious that God cannot convict the sinner before He regenerates them?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To this Calvinist, it means basically the same thing as Romans 1:18-22.

Jesus is God and man is without excuse to not worship God simply based on creation and the light that every man receives from Christ who is the Creator(Colossians 1:16).

Ken [​IMG]

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

St. John 1:9 'That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.'

John 1:9 according to R.G.V. Tasker, Professor of New Testament Exegesis at the University of London, offers this ideas. ‘The source of man's intellectual and spiritual perception, his conscience as well as his consciousness, is from the Divine Word. There is thus an affinity between the light than man possesses and the greater Light from which it comes. . . . For the truth is that the light with which the Word illuminates all men that are born, is a light shining into the darkness. Man, made originally in the Image of God, is a fallen creature; and, though the image remains, it is impaired.'

Raymond E. Brown expresses these views. ‘Some think that this does not mean the light of revelation, but the spotlight of judgment, the pitiless, all-revealing light is not to be avoided. If John the Baptist witness was for all men, the sphere of enlightenment from the real Light can scarcely be less.'

Matthew Henry, a Calvinist even says, ‘In crowning him with glory and honor, the honor of having noble powers and faculties of soul, excellent organs and parts of body, whereby he is allied to both worlds, capable of serving the interests of both worlds, and enjoying the happiness of both.'

Albert Barnes says, ‘' . . . this Light is not confined to the Jews, but is extended to all--Jews and Gentiles. It is provided for all, and offered to all. It is not affirmed that, at the time that John wrote, all were actually enlightened, but the word ‘lighteth' has the form of the future (tense). This is that Light so long expected and predicted, which as the result of its coming into the world, will ultimately enlighten all nations.'

I. Ray Berrian says, ‘The truth is that He is the Light of the world that ‘lighteth' and enlightens every person born of a woman. While depravity has touched every vestige of human beings, nevertheless, He reveals Himself through all that He has created by way of the handiwork of the world and universe. God leaves His inner reflected Light in the life of everyone born into the world. This, in and of itself, does not have the power to save a person from the Adamic nature or the multiplicity of sinful acts. God, notwithstanding, has and continues to actively woo men and women to Himself, often through our witness to the Gospel. There is never one second that He is not reaching out to people who see His Light and recognize His influence and calling of the Spirit.'

4. russell55

russell55 New Member

Calvinism does not claim that there is not some way in which the coming of Christ gave light to all men. What Calvinism does is explain why it is that "men love darkness rather than light", why it is that when that light shines on them and exposes their deeds for what they really are, they run from the light rather than to it.

5. Calvinism does not claim that there is not some way in which the coming of Christ gave light to all men. What Calvinism does is explain why it is that "men love darkness rather than light", why it is that when that light shines on them and exposes their deeds for what they really are, they run from the light rather than to it.</font>[/QUOTE]They have not been chosen.....

6. russell55

russell55 New Member

That's not the reason they love darkness rather than light. They love darkness rather than light because they don't want the evilness of their deeds exposed. That's what keeps people away from the light. That's what keeps people in their sins.

7. Bible-belted

Bible-belted New Member

Why is it that people whjo should KNOW that Total Depravity is an extensive, rather than intensive, doctrine, try to refute it on the basis of intensiveness?? Makes no sense.

8. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No offense preacher but would you mind rephrasing your question in plain english... I like to talk about the beauties of the gospel in simple language. II Corinthians 11: 3 The simplicity that is in Christ!... Brother Glen :confused:

9. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

russell55,

I don't think you are even close to understanding John 1:9. If you find other sources it would be a help to you, me and the rest of the people who view our posts.

Apparently, what you are telling me is that God didn't do too good a job at trying to 'lighting' or enlightening sinners as to His Mighty Presence in their lives.

I agree with the Word that says, we are created in His Image even since the Fall plus He gives every sinner an awareness that they are responsible Him. How? Through looking at all of His creation--meaning the world and His universe for starts . . . [​IMG]

10. To this Calvinist, it means basically the same thing as Romans 1:18-22.

Jesus is God and man is without excuse to not worship God simply based on creation and the light that every man receives from Christ who is the Creator(Colossians 1:16).

Ken [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Man is without excuse simply because of the evidence of creation, yet he cannot believe unless he is regenerated. Well if god refuses to regenerate him, who is responsible for his blindness.

11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ray I don't mind you posting but would you quit falling asleep!... Are you really asleep or just telling us I'm not listening I'm ignoring you?... "WAKE UP RAY"... Brother Glen :rolleyes:

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man is. Remember that we sinned with Adam in the Garden of Eden. We can't run from that truth, can't hide from it as much as we may try.

Ken

13. Man is. Remember that we sinned with Adam in the Garden of Eden. We can't run from that truth, can't hide from it as much as we may try.
    Ken
    </font>[/QUOTE]Does the bible really say that. Or does it say that the sin of Adam is imputed to all his descendants. Imputed sin is not comitted sin, it is imputed sin.

Romans 5:14
    14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
    KJV

Rom 9:11
    11(For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)
    KJV

Don't go getting no ideas about 9:11, untill you can tell me what is God's purpose according to election.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. russell55

russell55 New Member

And as soon as Ken becomes a member of God's privy counsel, I am sure he will fill us all in..... [​IMG]

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

That's a good one.

Actually, the answer is in Deuteronomy 7:7-8 but I don't think our opposition really want the answer. Methinks they don't want to give up their presuppositions and tradition.

[​IMG] Ken [​IMG]

17. [​IMG]

That's a good one.

Actually, the answer is in Deuteronomy 7:7-8 but I don't think our opposition really want the answer. Methinks they don't want to give up their presuppositions and tradition.
    [​IMG] Ken [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Shiver me timbers,,, Deut 7:7&8. Only Jews are saved... Snip, snip. A little out of conext here, a little out of context from over there, and walla; Calvinism.

Ken:
    I know that you know better than this.
    Here's a little help for ya.. You'll find your answer in here.. I will not elaborate, first i'll let you Calvinize them and then we will re scripturalize them.
    Eph 3:1-17
    Ephesians 3

3:1For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
    2If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to youward:
    3How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
    4Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
    5Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
    6That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
    7Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
    8Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
    9And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
    10To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,
    11According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:
    12In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.
    13Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.
    14For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
    15Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
    16That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
    17That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
    KJV

2 Tim 1:8-11
    8Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

9Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

10But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

11Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.
    KJV
    Your answer is not found in God's choice of the nation of Israel to be a nation of priests..

[ September 21, 2002, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Chappie ]